Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Industrial Automation Consultant
And the dealer will do what ?
This is why I rarely post on these things.

If nobody officially complains with intelligent feedback about repeatable problems solutions will never be developed. The only thing that will fix it is a software update that likely does not exist yet. So, on visit one the dealer will do nothing except report it or open a case. Is that the answer you are looking for?

The point of the post was to give people some information about a repeatable problem that can be presented to FCA and be addressed. You will get nothing done presenting with does not work well or sometimes it does this thing, but I can't get it do it now stuff. It is software, it will give the same result every single time it is presented with the same conditions to solve the code against. You just have to identify the pattern.
Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
.... IF you lock it with the passive button on the door handle it will 100% of the time require EXACTLY two grabs to unlock it. The first touch seems to wake it and the second unlocks it.....
I like that you're trying to figure out what isn't working for you, and offered a solution but I've never had to do that. I ALWAYS lock with the passive button on the handle. My key pretty much never leaves my pocket and goes completely untouched. I put it in my pocket when I leave the house and don't touch it again until I get home and where I take the key out and put it away. I can make 10 stops while I'm out, and I'll lock the doors with the passive button every time. Each time I return to the Jeep, one grab is all it takes to unlock/open the door. No hovering, no conscious delay, no double pulls, nothing. Walk up, grab the handle and open the door. FWIW, it hasn't been cold enough to use remote start yet, but I did use it once to test it. Otherwise my key has just been along for the ride.
You offer a good theory, and it sounds like you've put some effort in developing it, but I don't think it's a software issue. If it is, there must be an update already available, which I apparently have. Since nobody has mentioned a software update though, I doubt that's it.

rlong69

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
I like that you're trying to figure out what isn't working for you, and offered a solution but I've never had to do that. I ALWAYS lock with the passive button on the handle. My key pretty much never leaves my pocket and goes completely untouched. I put it in my pocket when I leave the house and don't touch it again until I get home and where I take the key out and put it away. I can make 10 stops while I'm out, and I'll lock the doors with the passive button every time. Each time I return to the Jeep, one grab is all it takes to unlock/open the door. No hovering, no conscious delay, no double pulls, nothing. Walk up, grab the handle and open the door. FWIW, it hasn't been cold enough to use remote start yet, but I did use it once to test it. Otherwise my key has just been along for the ride.
You offer a good theory, and it sounds like you've put some effort in developing it, but I don't think it's a software issue. If it is, there must be an update already available, which I apparently have. Since nobody has mentioned a software update though, I doubt that's it.

Unless you remote start it, you will NOT have the issue and your system will work 100% normal as you describe. If you remote start, after that is when it gets interesting. Please read it again, I think you missed the sequence. (or I did a poor job of explaining)

I am positive this is a bug and will require a software update. I work in industrial automation and write software for a living. This issue is repeatable all day long.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Hmmm. It's possible I'm misunderstanding. I reread your post, but I'm still not seeing it.

"... IF you lock it with the passive button on the door handle it will 100% of the time require EXACTLY two grabs to unlock it. The first touch seems to wake it and the second unlocks it...."
The way I'm reading that, you're saying it will require 2 grabs to unlock when passive button is used to lock it. I use the passive lock button every time and never have to pull twice to open.

"..... It only seems random because we all occasionally use our FOB which returns the system to normal....."
But I don't use my fob to lock/unlock the doors so it wouldn't be returned to normal. If using passive lock makes it require a double pull, I should need a double pull every time.

Again, I could be misunderstanding you but I did use remote start once, just to test and make sure it was working properly (noted in the last response). Yet I still don't have to double pull despite only using the passive button to lock it.
I must still be missing something. What you're saying makes sense, especially since you're able to repeat the result, but I'm not having any issues and I don't use my fob. I guess I'll go see if using remote start causes the need for a double pull since I know using the fob to lock it will clear it if I do. Maybe my fob lock has been press some time without realizing it? IDK, Seems odd, but I'll let you know what I find out.

duc135

First Name
Duc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Hmmm. It's possible I'm misunderstanding. I reread your post, but I'm still not seeing it....
I think you're missing the step before that. Are you using the remote start first?

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
No, but I did the day after I bought it to test it. I don't use the fob to lock the jeep, so if the issue remains forever until the fob lock is used, I should have the issue. Right?

duc135

First Name
Duc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
No, but I did the day after I bought it to test it. I don't use the fob to lock the jeep, so if the issue remains forever until the fob lock is used, I should have the issue. Right?
I can't possibly know how you've used your vehicle, but could it be possible someone else could have used the FOB to lock/unlock your vehicle since the day you've used the remote start?

rlong69 gave very detailed procedures on how to duplicate the behaviour reported by the OP. It would be easy for anyone to try it from scratch and not from memory of having used the remote start once however long ago they tested the feature when they first bought the vehicle. As you have stated, it's possible you have a later vehicle with different version of software, but we can't draw a reasonable conclusion based on you testing the remote start so long ago.

rlong69

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
This is why I never understand anyone who is a software .
LMAO, yeah we are "different".

So, let me try one more time.

1. Remote start car with FOB or Phone
2. Passively enter vehicle and drive to destination
3. Turn vehicle off exit and passively lock, starting right here you have the two touch to unlock problem
4. Lock/unlock the vehicle with the FOB, starting right here the passive entry returns to one touch perfect normal behavior

If at ANY time you use the FOB to lock/unlock it corrects the issue. Very easy to not correlate the two.

I only have one Jeep, would love someone to try this and verify it is widespread.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I remote start my JL with the fob, pretty much daily. It is very rare that I have any issues with Proximity. I have not used the fob itself to unlock or lock the JL pretty much since I got the JL in May.

Sponsored

rlong69

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
I remote start my JL with the fob, pretty much daily. It is very rare that I have any issues with Proximity. I have not used the fob itself to unlock or lock the JL pretty much since I got the JL in May.
Do you lock it with the little passive button on the door handle on exit, or the lock/unlock inside the door before closing it? I always use the passive button, and that is part of the chain of events that breaks it every time.

Mine was purchased in July, there could be some revisions of things in the mix too.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@rlong69

I do either or. Sometimes with the inside door button paddle as I fall out or sometimes with the little button on the driver's door handle. Again, rare, rare any issues for me...... unless, I grab and pull and not let the sensor have a split second to sense me and activate the door actuators.

krazyboi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 2.0L
LMAO, yeah we are "different".

So, let me try one more time.

1. Remote start car with FOB or Phone
2. Passively enter vehicle and drive to destination
3. Turn vehicle off exit and passively lock, starting right here you have the two touch to unlock problem
4. Lock/unlock the vehicle with the FOB, starting right here the passive entry returns to one touch perfect normal behavior

If at ANY time you use the FOB to lock/unlock it corrects the issue. Very easy to not correlate the two.

I only have one Jeep, would love someone to try this and verify it is widespread.
This definitely does not happen on mine. I use the remote starter and passively lock the jeep all the time. I've never ran into a situation where it needed two touches to unlock. It always unlocks when I put my fingers behind the handle the first time. I basically never use the FOB except for remote starting.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I can't possibly know how you've used your vehicle, but could it be possible someone else could have used the FOB to lock/unlock your vehicle since the day you've used the remote start?

rlong69 gave very detailed procedures on how to duplicate the behaviour reported by the OP. It would be easy for anyone to try it from scratch and not from memory of having used the remote start once however long ago they tested the feature when they first bought the vehicle. As you have stated, it's possible you have a later vehicle with different version of software, but we can't draw a reasonable conclusion based on you testing the remote start so long ago.
I absolutely agree, that a more recent test is in order. I also considered that either I hit the fob lock since then or maybe my wife had. It's been so long since I tested the remote start, it's hard to say if the fob button has been pushed since then or not.
I wasn't able to test yesterday, but I'm going out today, and I'm going to try it and let you know what I find. If I can replicate the result, we may be a step closer to getting a fix for those who have problems, or at the very least they'll have a way to remedy it.

rlong69

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
This definitely does not happen on mine. I use the remote starter and passively lock the jeep all the time. I've never ran into a situation where it needed two touches to unlock. It always unlocks when I put my fingers behind the handle the first time. I basically never use the FOB except for remote starting.

Well, that sucks. (not for you!) I verified this again yesterday and this morning. Very predictable on mine. I am going to get it in for service next week and try and get it resolved.

I will post back when I know more.
Sponsored