Sponsored

Proximity Entry (Keyless Entry N Go?) ?? on a sport?

johnnytaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ
Nope, doesn't work better if you grab the handle and wait. My video shows how mine consistently works, but you don't actually have to touch the car at all. If I walk up to it, stand near it, after a few seconds I will see the interior screens light up. Once they do, the unlock is instant as soon as I grab the handle and pull. It seems as if there is a "wake up" period that is causing the delay. It needs to wake up faster, or recognize your presence from further away so it's awake by the time you reach the vehicle.
My proximity on the JL seems to be getting worse and is similar to your video. Three pulls on the handle then it will unlock, maybe. My 2008 Lexus was instant, every single time. Frustrated I paid extra specifically for this feature and it doesn't work. Locking with the handle button is also delayed...
Sponsored

mergedown

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I have this feature on my 18 Grand Cherokee and it works great. I assume it's the same exact technology.

You cannot just walk up and grab the handle, you have to touch the inside of the handle to unlock it. When you touch the inside, it's instant, then you can pull the handle. This may be slightly different on the JL since the handles are different material.

I will definitely need to try it to make sure it's the same before ordering it.
Yeah, I’ve tried that as well, same result.

mergedown

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
My proximity on the JL seems to be getting worse and is similar to your video. Three pulls on the handle then it will unlock, maybe. My 2008 Lexus was instant, every single time. Frustrated I paid extra specifically for this feature and it doesn't work. Locking with the handle button is also delayed...
I agree completely.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Like someone said if you touch it and wait a second then will it open ? or do you have to pull the handle twice every time ? if so i can be pushing the remote 20 feet away and just walk right up and pull the handle once as i am getting in,not worth 499 i think

mergedown

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Like someone said if you touch it and wait a second then will it open ? or do you have to pull the handle twice every time ? if so i can be pushing the remote 20 feet away and just walk right up and pull the handle once as i am getting in,not worth 499 i think
Touch, wait for it to wake up, pull on the handle open.

Yes, unlocking from the key fob is instant.

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I was commenting on the video Someone posted he had to pull the handle twice for it to open and this pickup truck the ram truck open first time that's what I was making a comment about. He would pull the handle once and it wouldn't open he would pull the handle twice and it would open maybe it's the way he had it set up I don't know he said it didn't work very good

mergedown

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I was commenting on the video Someone posted he had to pull the handle twice for it to open and this pickup truck the ram truck open first time that's what I was making a comment about. He would pull the handle once and it wouldn't open he would pull the handle twice and it would open maybe it's the way he had it set up I don't know he said it didn't work very good
That video was mine :)

mergedown

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Yes, if you read the entire thread, you'll see what we found out. Short answer is that the amount of time it takes to unlock when you've recently used remote start varies. Sometimes its two pulls, sometimes its four. The first touch/pull "wakes up" the Jeep. There is then a pause before it will recognize an additional touch/pull. The number of touch/pulls you get in between that time depends on how aggressive you are.

The key here is that it goes away, or doesn't exist, if you stop/don't use remote start.

So did you ever get it to work right or do you still have to pull the handle twice and it unlocks the second time ?[/QUOTE

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Okay that makes sense one pool to wake it up so I can one to unlock it. So like someone else said it just be quicker if you're walking to the Jeep just to unlock it with the remote and pull one time and get in and save the $500

Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Yes, if you read the entire thread, you'll see what we found out. Short answer is that the amount of time it takes to unlock when you've recently used remote start varies. Sometimes its two pulls, sometimes its four. The first touch/pull "wakes up" the Jeep. There is then a pause before it will recognize an additional touch/pull. The number of touch/pulls you get in between that time depends on how aggressive you are.

The key here is that it goes away, or doesn't exist, if you stop/don't use remote start.
I don't have remote start to test but I can say without remote start mine has worked instantly every time without issue. There is something to this remote start and the proximity sensors.

I suggest anyone experiencing this reach out to Uconnect support and see what they have to say about this system and remote start.

TrendyGuy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
I have the proximity sensor in my JL and haven't had any issue with it. When I go to grab the handle it unlocks automatically before I get to pull the handle even once. If you press the lock button on the handle or use the autostart it will disable the proximity sensor from working for a few seconds, this is stated in the manual. Maybe this is what is happening in that video above? I did have that happen to me when I locked the car, by pressing the button on the handle, and then needed to unlock the door again to go back in which is when I read the manual and found that info.

Edit: I have remote start in my JL as well.

mergedown

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I have the proximity sensor in my JL and haven't had any issue with it. When I go to grab the handle it unlocks automatically before I get to pull the handle even once. If you press the lock button on the handle or use the autostart it will disable the proximity sensor from working for a few seconds, this is stated in the manual. Maybe this is what is happening in that video above? I did have that happen to me when I locked the car, by pressing the button on the handle, and then needed to unlock the door again to go back in which is when I read the manual and found that info.

Edit: I have remote start in my JL as well.
I'ts not an issue if you have remote start, it's an issue if you use remote start, and then don't. I haven't been using it since the weather is nice and the remote unlock works perfectly. As soon as I use remote start, I'll deal with a delay for the next 24 hours or so. It's disabled for much more than a few seconds.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I'ts not an issue if you have remote start, it's an issue if you use remote start, and then don't. I haven't been using it since the weather is nice and the remote unlock works perfectly. As soon as I use remote start, I'll deal with a delay for the next 24 hours or so. It's disabled for much more than a few seconds.
I dont use remote start now or before because i keep mine in the garage all the time at home. so i dont know if it worth getting it for 500. would you spend the 500 for it if you keep it in the garage all the time ?

mergedown

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I dont use remote start now or before because i keep mine in the garage all the time at home. so i dont know if it worth getting it for 500. would you spend the 500 for it if you keep it in the garage all the time ?
I love the feature, but I don't park in the garage, and travel often enough where it's really nice to start it from my phone when I get off the plane. Nice and warm when I get in it. Mine is also sitting in a parking lot all day at work, so when its freezing temps, it's also nice to get in a warm car.

Really depends on your use case.
Sponsored