Sponsored

Proximity Entry (Keyless Entry N Go?) ?? on a sport?

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I had the proximity entry on my ‘15 Challenger R/T. It’s not instantaneous, it takes maybe a second. It took a week or two to build the muscle memory to reach under the handle, wait for the click, then open. After I was used to it it was an awesome feature (standard on the R/T).
I have a '14 Charger R/T and my experience was exactly as you described and I like it just fine. I just can't figure out how my base Sport is going to be with standard Keyless Enter-N-Go but no power door locks. I know this is far-fetched but can it be possible that the car senses the fob and then you pull the handle to mechanically open the lock with that action? No way, right?
Sponsored

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
I’m not sure what the sensor in the door handles are. The ‘15 challenger had a redesign, so it may have been different then yours, but mine would not unlock unless your hand was physically under the handle. It is either a sonar (like the sensors in the bumper) or a radar (like for adaptive cruise control). Probably the former. In which case, combined with the physical lock button on the handle, that’s extra parts and money to make work.

I’m not saying that’s $500 worth of stuff.....but in the world of automotive marketing it’s all about perceived value and displaced costs. The base sport is designed to advertise at a minimal cost. To make that work, costs need to be offset to the other higher models. They do that by having neat-o must have options that cost a lot on higher models. Like having the navigation system be fully loaded into the car, but charge $1500 to get the code to unlock the feature.....or adding the exra sensors and buttons to make the proximity system operational for $500.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I have a '14 Charger R/T and my experience was exactly as you described and I like it just fine. I just can't figure out how my base Sport is going to be with standard Keyless Enter-N-Go but no power door locks. I know this is far-fetched but can it be possible that the car senses the fob and then you pull the handle to mechanically open the lock with that action? No way, right?
It's not standard on a base Sport.

The key fob has a switchblade style key. You use the key to unlock the door.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Then shouldn't it be called "Keyless Go" since there is no keyless entry without power door locks???
I agree it’s a poor name for this feature. I suppose if the door is already unlocked, then it is keyless enter ‘n go. No need to unlock the door.

They should call it keyless push button start. But then that’s not technically correct either because you still need the key (fob) to start.

How about drop the word keyless and just state “push button start” for the Sport and Sport S?

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Then shouldn't it be called "Keyless Go" since there is no keyless entry without power door locks???
It is called Keyless Go (GX4)

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
It's not standard on a base Sport it is a Sport S feature.

The key fob has a switchblade style key. You use the key to unlock the door.
Keyless passive entry is not available on Sport or Sport S. It’s only an available option on sahara and rubi.

All trims have push button start. Sport has manual locks. Sport S, sahara and rubi have remote button power locks. Passive entry option can only be added to sahara and rubi, at least in USA.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Keyless passive entry is not available on Sport or Sport S. It’s only an available option on sahara and rubi.

All trims have push button start. Sport has manual locks. Sport S, sahara and rubi have remote button power locks. Passive entry option can only be added to sahara and rubi, at least in USA.
Right. Sorry to add to the confusion.

A lot of confusion here between Passive Remote Keyless Entry, remote keyless entry, and keyless go.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Jeep calls it “Keyless Enter ‘n Go” at least according to the window sticker posted by the OP.
That's not what the order guide says. Oh well.

ERIXJLUR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Crystal Rubicon 2.0L (ordered on 2/12 received on 9/26)
One thing that I’ve noticed on my SRT and my Ram is that I can walk up to the door and nothing happens until I reach for the door handle. Every time. I don’t know if there’s a sensor in the side view mirror, or hidden somewhere that detects the reach, to trigger the unlock.

Also, there are settings in the 8.4N to toggle off the approach lock/unlock.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
One thing that I’ve noticed on my SRT and my Ram is that I can walk up to the door and nothing happens until I reach for the door handle. Every time. I don’t know if there’s a sensor in the side view mirror, or hidden somewhere that detects the reach, to trigger the unlock.

Also, there are settings in the 8.4N to toggle off the approach lock/unlock.
Oh wow. So you don’t even have to touch the handle for it to unlock with approach turned on? How does it know whether you want to unlock or lock the door when using this approach setting? I’ve read some vehicles have walk away auto lock feature also.

ERIXJLUR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Crystal Rubicon 2.0L (ordered on 2/12 received on 9/26)
Oh wow. So you don’t even have to touch the handle for it to unlock with approach turned on? How does it know whether you want to unlock or lock the door when using this approach setting? I’ve read some vehicles have walk away auto lock feature also.
It has a tiny button to press to lock.

I can walk up and stand beside the door, as soon as I raise my hand towards the handle it unlocks.

mergedown

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
That’s horrible.

Does it work better if you grab the handle and wait a second before pulling on the handle? I’m guessing touching the handle unlocks the door and pulling releases the door latch.
Nope, doesn't work better if you grab the handle and wait. My video shows how mine consistently works, but you don't actually have to touch the car at all. If I walk up to it, stand near it, after a few seconds I will see the interior screens light up. Once they do, the unlock is instant as soon as I grab the handle and pull. It seems as if there is a "wake up" period that is causing the delay. It needs to wake up faster, or recognize your presence from further away so it's awake by the time you reach the vehicle.

Capt_Beard

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
blog.benbeard.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude & 2016 Subaru WRX Limited
Occupation
Director of IT
I have this feature on my 18 Grand Cherokee and it works great. I assume it's the same exact technology.

You cannot just walk up and grab the handle, you have to touch the inside of the handle to unlock it. When you touch the inside, it's instant, then you can pull the handle. This may be slightly different on the JL since the handles are different material.

I will definitely need to try it to make sure it's the same before ordering it.

HotSpringsJL

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL base sport
My Base JL has Proximity Entry. I just never lock it and it always opens when I walk up to it.
Sponsored