Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
How do I determine if my Jeep has the antenna(s) needed to make this work?
You have push button start so you have the antennas. The only question is if you have the pins in the body side of the door connector.

Gregj
Sponsored

brican

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I thought I read that the antennas for the remote start were required for the remote keyless entry. I do have push button start but not remote start from my FOB.

billypetes

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1991 XJ
I thought I read that the antennas for the remote start were required for the remote keyless entry. I do have push button start but not remote start from my FOB.
I don't think having the remote start button on your FOB is a requirement. My wife's Rubicon (2020) doesn't have it but came from the factory with proximity lock entry.

AllMoparParts.com

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL

S207307

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler (JL) Unlimited Sport S
I ordered the "PSVENTRYJTJLDRV" part/package for my JLU Sport S (factory equipped with power locks, remote start, blind spot, etc) from AllMoparParts.
Upon completing the install and implementing the GXD addition via JScan (as per the instructions on about pg 31 within this post), I'm unable to get the driver door proximity/passive entry lock or unlock to function.
At this point I'm thinking the Jeep never shipped with the requisite two wires between the XY600A module at the driver side door harness and the instrument XY315A connector.
I've tried really visually inspecting both, but haven't convinced myself of the presence or absence of those green and red wires/pins.
Is there advice you can give to help me one way or the other?
Others have checked by using my VIN and said the wiring should have been present, but I'm not sure this is a thorough method.

Sponsored

billypetes

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1991 XJ
I ordered the "PSVENTRYJTJLDRV" part/package for my JLU Sport S (factory equipped with power locks, remote start, blind spot, etc) from AllMoparParts.
Upon completing the install and implementing the GXD addition via JScan (as per the instructions on about pg 31 within this post), I'm unable to get the driver door proximity/passive entry lock or unlock to function.
At this point I'm thinking the Jeep never shipped with the requisite two wires between the XY600A module at the driver side door harness and the instrument XY315A connector.
I've tried really visually inspecting both, but haven't convinced myself of the presence or absence of those green and red wires/pins.
Is there advice you can give to help me one way or the other?
Others have checked by using my VIN and said the wiring should have been present, but I'm not sure this is a thorough method.
My JLU Sport S did not have the wiring and I had to add it. Have you seen the pictures that have been provided on this thread that helps you identify if the pins are there? It’s awkward to get in there to see it, but try taking a high resolution photo with your phone and then zoom in. Daylight helps too!
Also, I used a taser mini to activate the feature and I’m not familiar with the method you used which could also be the issue. I’d make sure you have the pins installed first though.

S207307

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My JLU Sport S did not have the wiring and I had to add it. Have you seen the pictures that have been provided on this thread that helps you identify if the pins are there? It’s awkward to get in there to see it, but try taking a high resolution photo with your phone and then zoom in. Daylight helps too!
Also, I used a taser mini to activate the feature and I’m not familiar with the method you used which could also be the issue. I’d make sure you have the pins installed first though.
After reading through much more of this thread (apologies everyone, I should have put in that work first), I was able to go back and view my XY600A I/P side and see the lack of pins in the 15 and 16 cavities.
So, I'll be ordering this since I don't have confidence in my jumper creation abilities:

https://nismopar.com/2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt-custom-dash-harness-for-passive-entry

P.S.
This nismopar is truly a harness and still works with door removal, is that correct?
...the website picture makes it look like just some jumper wires, but as long as it doesn't pair to the door-side and stays in the body-side, it should be fine, correct?

20230223_104015~5.jpg

Last edited:

billypetes

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1991 XJ
After reading through much more of this thread (apologies everyone, I should have put in that work first), I was able to go back and view my XY600A I/P side and see the lack of pins in the 15 and 16 cavities.
So, I'll be ordering this since I don't have confidence in my jumper creation abilities:

https://nismopar.com/2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt-custom-dash-harness-for-passive-entry

P.S.
This nismopar is truly a harness and still works with door removal, is that correct?
...the website picture makes it look like just some jumper wires, but as long as it doesn't pair to the door-side and stays in the body-side, it should be fine, correct?
Yes it stays in the body side so you should be able to remove the doors just as you can now. It is tricky to get those wires in there. The benefit of buying those wires is that the terminals are already on there. You’ll need to add them to the wiring harness. Their instructions are quite helpful. I found a local vehicle electrician to install after I realized I could very well cause more harm than good by trying to do it myself. He charged me an hour’s labor.

mrtm1970

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
FYI for those WITH half doors and Proximity Doors and have to have them re-painted...Make sure you put the door caps with part number "272AD(E)" on the front doors and the caps with part number "271AD(E)" on the rear doors.

After reading through this whole thread and the other one...check wire harness and such and found the paint shop put the front caps on the rear doors...just switched them and the Proximity handles work like they should.

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys

P.S.

Jeep Wrangler JL Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler 20230223_104015~5
Great picture of the connector, I like your labeling, makes it really obvious. I wish this thread could become a wiki...I read through the whole thing and came up with my own summary pre-install (took days), posted a few notes after my install, but so much is hidden by the page count.

Sponsored

S207307

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great picture of the connector, I like your labeling, makes it really obvious. I wish this thread could become a wiki...I read through the whole thing and came up with my own summary pre-install (took days), posted a few notes after my install, but so much is hidden by the page count.
Yes, my own notes from particular posts within this thread is the only thing that made this possible as a DIY project for me.
There is a ton of value in here and many extremely useful posts that could save folks a lot of heartache and money.
One big ask after my experience:
I'd love for someone to post a great video or picture gallery with tips and tricks for successfully removing the two SGW plugs without murdering your hands, becoming a contortionist, and/or damaging them or other things due to a lack of specialty (removal) tools.
(I'm gonna invest in the overpriced, but clearly necessary, Z Automotive SGW extension cables as a result of my never wanting to repeat that process).

gek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Code Monkey
To be fair, the page count is bloated by people not actually reading. Most of their questions could be answered if they went back a few pages from the end because it is normally the same few questions being asked.
However, it would be nice if the first post was updated with links to significant post in this thread or just with the info from those post or if there was somewhere where the info is gathered we could easily point people to look through.

Yawnie'sPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLUR, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Mid-2021 model year (June 2021) they started using the same antenna for TPMS instead of a dedicated TPMS sensing box.

Impy5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Yes it stays in the body side so you should be able to remove the doors just as you can now. It is tricky to get those wires in there. The benefit of buying those wires is that the terminals are already on there. You’ll need to add them to the wiring harness. Their instructions are quite helpful. I found a local vehicle electrician to install after I realized I could very well cause more harm than good by trying to do it myself. He charged me an hour’s labor.
I know labor rate is different by area but could you give a ballpark figure of what he charged you? Looking to do the same thing but only on the driver's side.

billypetes

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1991 XJ
I know labor rate is different by area but could you give a ballpark figure of what he charged you? Looking to do the same thing but only on the driver's side.
Sure thing. I live in Southern California and the guy I went to in Anaheim was $125 an hour. I will humbly suggest you do both sides and the rear for resale value!
Sponsored