Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
I have a 2018 JLUS will it work for earlier models or from specific year and up?
First step is disconnect the door and look for pins in cavity’s 15 & 16. If you have those then it is just changing parts and a little programming. If you don’t have pins in those spots then it’s a little more involved.
DD476C5D-B8BC-4442-987A-4A3BCCCABF64.jpeg

Gregj

ORunamukO

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
First step is disconnect the door and look for pins in cavity’s 15 & 16. If you have those then it is just changing parts and a little programming. If you don’t have pins in those spots then it’s a little more involved.
Jeep Wrangler JL Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler DD476C5D-B8BC-4442-987A-4A3BCCCABF64

Gregj

miweber929

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JLU Sport S, ‘16 Silverado
Thanks a bunch!
Hopefully you have the pins; I did and it was not too bad a project. Even if you don't, there is a lit made to add them, fairly easy to do int he end.

I ordered the parts from @AllMoparParts.com, spent a couple hours in the garage installing, used JSCAN to program and I have proximity locks, something I was unable to order from the factory. a VERY nice upgrade!!!

Sponsored

ChiefKap

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4-Door Sport (80th Anniversary)
Can someone please clarify what the process is if the Jeep harness does not have the pins for the driver and passenger doors. I installed the rear gate handle and got my dealer to add the GXD code and that worke. However now that my front handles are on, they are not working as intended, only the back. I will check the harness to see if I have the correct pins, but if I don’t (2021 Pre-June Sport S 80th), what can I do to get the handles working?

ChiefKap

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can someone please clarify what the process is if the Jeep harness does not have the pins for the driver and passenger doors. I installed the rear gate handle and got my dealer to add the GXD code and that worke. However now that my front handles are on, they are not working as intended, only the back. I will check the harness to see if I have the correct pins, but if I don’t (2021 Pre-June Sport S 80th), what can I do to get the handles working?
I confirmed my wire harness has wires at pins 15 & 16. Gonna check with dealer.

JohnHennesey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
So many posts on the subject... most concise and complete one I found was #453. My experience:

1. Jeep Gladiator 2021
  2. Inspect drivers side connector to ensure the two pins are there.
  3. Bought kit from Mopar Genuine Parts. Web site clearly states 45 day wait. Shipped the next day, had it in my hands 3 days later. :)
  4. Follow video on how to install hardware. There are many out there, this is the best one I found. Clear, complete and accurate
  5. Call dealership where I got the jeep 3 weeks ago asking if they can enable the sales code (passive entry wasn't an option when I ordered it). Explain what I'm after. They didn't understand.
  6. Call dealership again. New person. No idea.
  7. Call dealership a week later. Guy understands, tells me $90 to enable it, call xxxx on Monday.
  8. Call Monday, leave a message. Hear back from xxxx who said it was $150 and probably won't work. Ask if I can set up an appointment, never hear back.
  9. Reach out to xxxx, doesn't respond.
  10. Call another dealer. They have no idea what I'm talking about, gets my info and promises to research and call back.
  11. Order bypass cable and linker from Amazon, arrives 3 days later
  12. Follow instructions in the post (453), works perfect the first time.
  13. Used JScan - it clearly says might take up to 24 hours to have option show on radio, reboot ecu's to expedite. Don't really care about the option showing on the radio, have no intention to ever turn it off.
  14. Took an hour, option now shows on the radio.
  15. Still haven't heard back from dealership #2.
Final note - getting to the security bypass module to disconnect the two cables - not that much fun. Good pair of needle nose pliers is helpful to plug them back in.

Best of luck to everyone, know that it works!

Last edited:

Sponsored

miweber929

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So many posts on the subject... most concise and complete one I found was #453. My experience:

1. Jeep Gladiator 2021
  2. Inspect drivers side connector to ensure the two pins are there.
  3. Bought kit from Mopar Genuine Parts. Web site clearly states 45 day wait. Shipped the next day, had it in my hands 3 days later. :)
  4. Follow video on how to install hardware. There are many out there, this is the best one I found. Clear, complete and accurate
  5. Call dealership where I got the jeep 3 weeks ago asking if they can enable the sales code (passive entry wasn't an option when I ordered it). Explain what I'm after. They didn't understand.
  6. Call dealership again. New person. No idea.
  7. Call dealership a week later. Guy understands, tells me $90 to enable it, call xxxx on Monday.
  8. Call Monday, leave a message. Hear back from xxxx who said it was $150 and probably won't work. Ask if I can set up an appointment, never hear back.
  9. Reach out to xxxx, doesn't respond.
  10. Call another dealer. They have no idea what I'm talking about, gets my info and promises to research and call back.
  11. Order bypass cable and linker from Amazon, arrives 3 days later
  12. Follow instructions in the post (453), works perfect the first time.
  13. Used JScan - it clearly says might take up to 24 hours to have option show on radio, reboot ecu's to expedite. Don't really care about the option showing on the radio, have no intention to ever turn it off.
  14. Took an hour, option now shows on the radio.
  15. Still haven't heard back from dealership #2.
Final note - getting to the security bypass module to disconnect the two cables - not that much fun. Good pair of needle nose pliers is helpful to plug them back in.

Best of luck to everyone, know that it works!
Great write up. My JLU was done in almost the exact same steps.

You we’re lucky on #3. I ordered 9/24, mine were shipped 12/17 because the door harnesses were on backordered forever.

A suggestion someone made in another thread was to order the extension cables for the security bypass from Z Automotive and the bypass unit that you can leave plugged in from Amazon and it’s made JScan even better. Best $75 bucks I’ve ever spent on it.

ChiefKap

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will the dealer add the code to your VIN even if you used Jscan or Taser? Or only if they activate it?
I did not use a Taser or Jscan. My dealer Service Manager knew what to do and added GXD to the VIN with his iPad and wireless dongle that plugged into the jeep. Originally I installed the rear-gate only, then got the code added and it worked. When I installed the front handles, they did not work. Wen't back to the dealer to clear the codes for missing handles that were present after the rear-gate install - still not working. Hoping after I let the car sit for a little everything will work.

ChiefKap

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you replace the door harnesses?
Yes, I replaced the existing door harness, which did not have a lead for the handle. I also got the kit from AllMoparParts. I also confirmed I have pins 15 & 16 on the jeep-side of the harness.

dlong1119

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Sahara 4xe (Billet), 21 Sahara 4xe (StingGray)
Vehicle Showcase
If you got the kit from AllMopar then I'm going to assume you aslo replaced the front caps? Check the dates printed on them, as there was a batch made where the magnet was in backwards. I believe it was 1/4/21 that everyone had issues with.

Also, check the body side of the door harness to make sure no pins got bent. That has been a somewhat common issue as well that can cause various problems.

Do you have the passive entry screen in your radio now?

Are you confident that you routed the harness correctly in the door and that the windows didn't catch the handle jumper and pull it out?

miweber929

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I replaced the existing door harness, which did not have a lead for the handle. I also got the kit from AllMoparParts. I also confirmed I have pins 15 & 16 on the jeep-side of the harness.
See what @dlong1119 wrote, all great advice there.

I’d say if you check all of that have your dealer reflash the code now that everything is in, I used JScan and it worked great so I can’t help there.
Sponsored