Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
If you need the door harness for the 2 front doors let me know. I have an extra harness for the right and left door I can send to you for $80 shipped.
I'd be shocked if you do, but do you still have these?
Sponsored

tph88

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
So, what do ya'll do with your stock handles after replacing them?
I have all the old parts in a plastic bag in my storage closet :)
Not really sure what to do with them, but I hate throwing stuff like that out, but not sure what else to do!

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Ok, here goes, I have an interesting project....
My wife's Jeep is a Willys (basically a Sport S electronics), and she desperately wants proximity. I recently obtained half doors for my base Sport - the half doors have proximity. Is it conceivable that I can pull the proximity parts from the half doors (which are entirely unusable for my Jeep) and put them into my wife's doors? I'm guessing so... And I already have jscan that I've used on her Jeep for tire speedo calibration, so..I just need a jumper wire from the main harness down to the door connectors, right?

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Dave, your plan sounds about right, I don’t know if the half door wire harness will work in a standard door, lacking windows and all but you could pull the proximity wires and add them to the doors. If not that door harnesses are not the most expensive part of the swap, the handles are.
Adding the jumpers from xy315a to the door connector is not too hard.
Gregj

jdthird

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
Anyone in the southeast Wisconsin area do this? Just talked to my dealer and they sound pretty clueless. He's going to 'research' but I figured if anyone around here has already found a dealer that can do it, I may as well save myself a ton of calling randomly and going through this again. I'm still waiting over a month now on the harness for the driver's side door but I had all the rest of the parts for the driver's door and tailgate, so got the tailgate installed this morning and figured I'd try to get it activated so that it's already done by the time the harness for the driver's door arrives. Even the tailgate working will make my life easier so I don't have to keep digging out the fob to lock and unlock.

Thanks for any potential leads.

Edit - yes, dealer here (Palmen in Racine) confirmed that they have no way to do this...

Last edited:

Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nerd
Dave, your plan sounds about right, I don’t know if the half door wire harness will work in a standard door, lacking windows and all but you could pull the proximity wires and add them to the doors. If not that door harnesses are not the most expensive part of the swap, the handles are.
Adding the jumpers from xy315a to the door connector is not too hard.
Gregj
So, I took the half doors apart for paint, and (as you suggested) the half door doesn't have the wires for the power windows. Is the only interesting part about the proximity harness the plug to the door handle? Can I just cut that plug/pigtail off the half door harness and run two wires down and out near the door connector to a molex-or-whatever-style plug, then do the body side jumper to connect it to? Or is there something special about the entire harness for proximity locks? I'm not too worried about door removal or water tightness; my wife is never taking her doors off or driving through high water.

I may have sold my wife on letting me buy these half doors under the guise that "they have everything we need to get proximity locks on your Jeep"..... so, I'm trying to save some face here and not order more parts.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, I took the half doors apart for paint, and (as you suggested) the half door doesn't have the wires for the power windows. Is the only interesting part about the proximity harness the plug to the door handle? Can I just cut that plug/pigtail off the half door harness and run two wires down and out near the door connector to a molex-or-whatever-style plug, then do the body side jumper to connect it to? Or is there something special about the entire harness for proximity locks? I'm not too worried about door removal or water tightness; my wife is never taking her doors off or driving through high water.

I may have sold my wife on letting me buy these half doors under the guise that "they have everything we need to get proximity locks on your Jeep"..... so, I'm trying to save some face here and not order more parts.
You only really need the two wires for the handle connector, if you can remove them from the bundle and add those wires to her harness that should work. Just pull the pins out of the door connector and put them in her door connector. After that add the jumper to the dash harness.
Gregj

you can pm me if you have questions

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thinking about it the wires in the half doors may not be long enough because of the way they are routed through the door. May have to splice in some wire.
Gregj

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician

Sell me your half doors and save face, LOL

Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nerd
Thinking about it the wires in the half doors may not be long enough because of the way they are routed through the door. May have to splice in some wire.
Gregj
I unwrapped the harness and pulled those two wires. I ended up with over five feet of wire; but I can cobble in some extra if needed. Now to figure out how to do this jumper wire... can this all be done under the dash or do I need to pull apart trim panels?

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You will need to pull the drivers side kick panel, the drivers side jumper is about a foot long. The passenger side needs to run from the same connector across the dash to the passenger door. I ran mine along the bottom of the dash with some zip ties to secure it.

Gregj

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nerd
Sell me your half doors and save face, LOL
I'll take the hit to my pride before I give these bad boys up. As it is, I traded huge heaps of goodwill to get the go-ahead to buy them... Proximity for her was part of the bargain. Besides, my two doors would only get you 50% of the way there!
Sponsored