Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler

tph88

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys

kasper6951

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Good Morning everyone,

My wife wants this added to her jeep and I have just spent the last hour reading through the post. Either I have completely missed the answer or the few posts I saw that we similar to this were never answer. I am hoping someone can spell this out for me.

She has a 2018 JLUR. I looked at the drivers plug and it is missing the 15, 16 pins. the Rubicon is equipped with BSM, 8.4 screen and remote start. what do I need to add this to her vehicle.

Thanks in advance

dan1000

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe >-- Bluebird Wanderlodge PT-38
When placing an order for this wiring, DO NOT include your vehicle's VIN number in the order! If you do, there's a chance that they will "correct" your carefully chosen wiring harness part numbers, and send you the ones that match your VIN. Since (presumably) your VIN indicates a vehicle without proximity locks, you'll get the non-proximity harness instead of the proximity one.

This is what happened to me. :(

Note to self: No VIN on parts orders when adding features that the VIN doesn't show it as having.

Fasco1

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
When placing an order for this wiring, DO NOT include your vehicle's VIN number in the order! If you do, there's a chance that they will "correct" your carefully chosen wiring harness part numbers, and send you the ones that match your VIN. Since (presumably) your VIN indicates a vehicle without proximity locks, you'll get the non-proximity harness instead of the proximity one.

This is what happened to me. :(

I put my vin# in they just emailed me saying that those parts aren’t the ones originally installed on the vehicle and if I was looking to add an option and chose to go ahead they weren’t returnable, they could not guarantee they would work.

Note to self: No VIN on parts orders when adding features that the VIN doesn't show it as having.

Sponsored

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR, 2021 JLU Sport Altitude
I just got a reply from AllMoparParts.com to check out this thread on the gladiator forum:

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/proximity-door-locks-retrofit-on-wrangler-gladiator-someone-figured-it-out-diy-writeup.29199/page-39#post-707941

Someone figured out a solution. The date on their bad end cap was also 1/4

I haven't tried the solution since I don't want to break open the cap and don't know how to use a solder iron.
I got this same reply today. I'll try it tonight. Not going to use a soldering gun though. I'm going to see if I can get the magnet out without breaking the tabs, maybe just bend them out a little. Or, if I do have to remove the tabs, I'll try to hold the magnet in there with a dab of hot glue. Eh, worth a try. They said if that doesn't work they'll exchange them.

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR, 2021 JLU Sport Altitude
What was yours doing when they wouldn’t work? On mine nothing happens on both front doors but rear door works great. This is driving me crazy. Any help would be great. Did the fronts do anything?
The handles did absolutely nothing as Karen said. I was lucky enough to be able to test by borrowing one of my JT caps that are known to be good (it was factory equipped) but, you can also check to see if this is the problem by taking a small refridgerator magnet and put it up against the flat back side of the door handle (with the cap out). If it works, you know it's a bad cap. If it doesn't work then, you've got either missing wires or a programming problem.

Nice guy that I am, I left my JT's passenger cap in the wife's JL driver door so she has use of the system. Now neither of our passenger doors work LOL.

LeodaJeep

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
SoCal below Idyllwild mountains S.W. side.
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubican
Occupation
Self Sufficient
I spent 2 hours searching wiring diagrams, if there was a factory way to do it I would have.
I too have a Sport JLUD that doesn't have the wires on the body side. I used to be an aircraft electrical tech so the process of jumpering doesn't seem tough, but I have a question. Where does the jumper connect? Do I go through the firewall or what? Thank you so much for answering. Everything on mine is installed and yet...nothing. I never considered they would use a different harness on the Sport, as making everything uniform saves them bucks. But NOOOO...ours has to be different.

Fasco1

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I too have a Sport JLUD that doesn't have the wires on the body side. I used to be an aircraft electrical tech so the process of jumpering doesn't seem tough, but I have a question. Where does the jumper connect? Do I go through the firewall or what? Thank you so much for answering. Everything on mine is installed and yet...nothing. I never considered they would use a different harness on the Sport, as making everything uniform saves them bucks. But NOOOO...ours has to be different.

Believe it or not the connector they go to is about a foot away from the drivers harness. You can buy the wires online with the pins already on, better than splicing. The hardest part is figuring out how to pull the plug apart to add the wires. More to it than just pushing in from the rear as many connectors are. All the pics and info can be found within this thread

Sponsored

LeodaJeep

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
SoCal below Idyllwild mountains S.W. side.
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubican
Occupation
Self Sufficient
Good news! I made a jumper harness with a weatherpack connection so I can still take my doors off, wired it all in and it works!!
51AC7DD5-48A4-46CF-8A6E-B5DF443564DA.jpeg
7F8701BC-59C7-4E4B-942A-AC3BC0680E9C.jpeg
I see that the wires are green/white & green/yellow. Is that the same color you connect to on the white connector in photo #2? I appreciate your help, thank you.

Fasco1

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Purplehayes

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Just curious if it fits my "bad batch" theory :)
Here’s what I figured out after I removed my caps. They are the same part numbers and my original ones. I never confirmed the part numbers after I ordered the parts. So I took them apart and there is no magnets in them. Here is a picture of mine, but the dates are older then the 1/4. I am ordering the correct ones tomorrow. I’ll keep you updated. Thanks.

4E3F8E09-5101-4564-8406-8A9156012839.jpeg

willhayward

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
I ordered the kit but the caps look to be the same as I had without proximity. Can anyone confirm?

Jeep Wrangler JL Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler 164DC30D-F910-4AC0-A860-EEBFE5BDFC5A

Purplehayes

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
I ordered the kit but the caps look to be the same as I had without proximity. Can anyone confirm?

Jeep Wrangler JL Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler 164DC30D-F910-4AC0-A860-EEBFE5BDFC5A
The bottom one in the picture looks like the right on. The old ones are 271AD and the new ones are 272AD. Only thing different is the little magnet inside.
Sponsored