Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler

tph88

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
My key fob doesn't flash when I push the button on the door handle. It does flash when I unlock/lock using the fob.

I added the 3 options using jscan, I can see the option when I go to UConnect.
Everything else on the door works fine, the key fob locks and unlocks it fine. I can still move both mirrors. I have remote start and that still works as well.

Not sure if there is anything specific I should look at? Any suggestions?
I probably won't have time/nice weather to take apart the door again for a few days.
I have only done the driver door so far, hoping to have time soon to do the others this weekend.
Sponsored

Fasco1

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
My key fob doesn't flash when I push the button on the door handle. It does flash when I unlock/lock using the fob.

I added the 3 options using jscan, I can see the option when I go to UConnect.
Everything else on the door works fine, the key fob locks and unlocks it fine. I can still move both mirrors. I have remote start and that still works as well.

Not sure if there is anything specific I should look at? Any suggestions?
I probably won't have time/nice weather to take apart the door again for a few days.
I have only done the driver door so far, hoping to have time soon to do the others this weekend.
Did you check to see if you have to add wires to the door harness on the vehicle side. Adding the door harness adds the two additional wires needed for the sensor, but many Jeep’s don’t have the pins / wires needed on the other end.

tph88

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Did you check to see if you have to add wires to the door harness on the vehicle side. Adding the door harness adds the two additional wires needed for the sensor, but many Jeep’s don’t have the pins / wires needed on the other end.
Oops forgot to put that in my last message! Yes I checked the wiring into the door and it has all the pins mentioned in post #193 by JLMOPARMAN - ie driver side door pins #15/16 are there.

I also double checked my part numbers (well the packaging) to make sure I put the right ones in (looks like I did, though will take apart the door again at some point to make sure). I have these - the difference being the F in the wiring instead of the E, I guess the F is the newer version.
  • LF Door Wiring - 68299333AF
  • RF Door Wiring - 68299332AF
  • Swing Gate Wiring - 68351167AA
  • Handles - 68307269AC (x2)
  • Handle Caps - 68307272AD (x2)
  • Swing Gate Handle - 68309825AC
  • Swing Gate Cap - 68309830AC
Did anyone with the new F version of the wiring get this to work?

Last edited:

Fasco1

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oops forgot to put that in my last message! Yes I checked the wiring into the door and it has all the pins mentioned in post #193 by JLMOPARMAN - ie driver side door pins #15/16 are there.

I also double checked my part numbers (well the packaging) to make sure I put the right ones in (looks like I did, though will take apart the door again at some point to make sure). I have these - the difference being the F in the wiring instead of the E, I guess the F is the newer version.
  • LF Door Wiring - 68299333AF
  • RF Door Wiring - 68299332AF
  • Swing Gate Wiring - 68351167AA
  • Handles - 68307269AC (x2)
  • Handle Caps - 68307272AD (x2)
  • Swing Gate Handle - 68309825AC
  • Swing Gate Cap - 68309830AC
Thats the part number that I used for the drivers door. The only thing that could have gone wrong with the installation is that the connector came off the handle, or the wires weren't run out of the way of the window path and they got damaged when window opened / closed. Other than that it would have to be within the Jeep itself. Programming / missing wires in other places on that particular model (unlikely but). Don't know for sure if theres a difference or not, but so far everyone has been replacing the cap with the handle. Is there a chance you may have put the old one back in? Lastly since the tailgate is so simple, maybe give that a try.

tph88

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Well turns out one of the new handle caps is bad. I swapped out with the other handle cap in the kit, and BOOM! everything worked fine. I tried all the handle/handle caps combos and looks like this is the only bad part in the set. I ordered from AllMoparParts.com and just set them an email so am hoping they will just replace the part!

The passive entry works a bit different than my last car. That one, you pushed the button to lock or unlock. This one, pulling the handle will unlock as well - but it's weird, you have to pull the handle once to unlock, then pull it again to actually open it.

But! pretty excited to have it working!! Will try to finish off the tailgate and passengar side this weekend and just replace the passenger cap when I get it the new one.

Happy I didn't have to take the door apart again, however when I pulled the handle out, the new wiring came out. I slid it back in, hopefully it will not get in the way of the window (rolled it down/up once, seems ok!).

Sponsored

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
Well turns out one of the new handle caps is bad. I swapped out with the other handle cap in the kit, and BOOM! everything worked fine. I tried all the handle/handle caps combos and looks like this is the only bad part in the set. I ordered from AllMoparParts.com and just set them an email so am hoping they will just replace the part!

The passive entry works a bit different than my last car. That one, you pushed the button to lock or unlock. This one, pulling the handle will unlock as well - but it's weird, you have to pull the handle once to unlock, then pull it again to actually open it.

But! pretty excited to have it working!! Will try to finish off the tailgate and passengar side this weekend and just replace the passenger cap when I get it the new one.

Happy I didn't have to take the door apart again, however when I pulled the handle out, the new wiring came out. I slid it back in, hopefully it will not get in the way of the window (rolled it down/up once, seems ok!).
I am able to just put my hand around the handle to unlock then pull.. see if yours will do that also. Congrats on the install!

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Yes, the unlock process takes a little time, you get used to grabbing the handle and waiting for a milli-second before pulling on it.
Gregj

Fasco1

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

You might be able to look into the door from the top with the window down to see if the wires are in the way. Mine unlocks as I pull on it, you need to get use to what type of grab does the trick, full handle grab works best. Can't just use 1 or 2 fingers etc. Sometimes when I use my right hand on the drivers door it reacts slow. I also changed the settings so that all doors unlock. So everyone can open their doors as soon as I grab the handle. Glad you got it figured out.

Fasco1

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone know company that has the rear tailgate harness in stock? Company I ordered from says its backordered and they have no clue when they will get them.

PacNWJLGecko

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Just spoke with my service advisor and parts advisor and they have been following this thread. The parts guy is getting his parts in tomorrow and going to try the install and sales code entry over the next few days and call me back next week. He has a Sport so he has to get the wiring harnasses but I asked him if my Rubicon already had the correct wiring harnass in place as someone else reported. He said according to my vin it doesn't appear so. He said there should be a tag on the harnass that I can see after removing the outer door card to verify to see if I have to order them or not.
Was he able to accomplish this on his Sport? I have a 21' Sport on order, this would be a cool feature to add. Obviously a fair amount of parts would probably be necessary.

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Was he able to accomplish this on his Sport? I have a 21' Sport on order, this would be a cool feature to add. Obviously a fair amount of parts would probably be necessary.
Chad,
Many of us have got this working on a Sport S, When you get your Jeep you will need to look in the door connector for pins in position 15 and 16, if they are there you just need to add parts and some programming. If 15 and 16 aren't there you will have to add them, not the end of the world, just not "plug and play".

I see you are on about page 8 of this Awesome thread, keep reading, it's all covered in the coming pages. If you have questions we can answer them.
Gregj

PacNWJLGecko

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Chad,
Many of us have got this working on a Sport S, When you get your Jeep you will need to look in the door connector for pins in position 15 and 16, if they are there you just need to add parts and some programming. If 15 and 16 aren't there you will have to add them, not the end of the world, just not "plug and play".

I see you are on about page 8 of this Awesome thread, keep reading, it's all covered in the coming pages. If you have questions we can answer them.
Gregj
Thanks Greg. Lots of information to read up on. I haven't been this excited about a vehicle in a long time!

DPMJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Brand new to Jeep and this forum. Tried to diligently read all 89 pages and the previous 30 or so by pioneers trying to figure this mod out.
I just got my Gladiator new last week and wanted this feature. They had one on the lot that had everything else except proximity so empowered by this thread i bought it and proceeded with the steps.

My hope is my experience is good news and adds value to others. I called the service manager prepared with all the talking points (call FCA, open a Ticket, GXD etc) before i was halfway through my speech on the phone he interrupted me and said “Done!”. There was some back and forth disbelief on my part but when he started getting a bit frustrated with me i left it be.
I looked into My Mopar app an hour later and sure enough “Remote Proximity Keyless Entry” is listed under dealer equipment.

A few extra details - I wanted this and budgeted for it on my vehicle so was clear with the guy that i would pay for full install and hardware. He offered it for about $800 vs the factory option of $625. I know that’s a big number compared to the hardware and aftermarket ways to bypass the GXD code, but I had the cost somewhat baked into to my budget so that’s just where my head was at - i may regret the cost at some point but it is what it is.

As you all likely suspect, its not all done yet since I’m waiting for the hardware and the computer flash, but from all the info i read, having a dealer add the “Remote Proximity Keyless Entry” from their terminal was not possible last year when this thread was very active.

Thanks to all contributors here for helping me understand the issue, perhaps corporate have pushed adding GXD to the dealers now.

tph88

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Has anyone tried using Jeep Chat to get the code added?
I have it added using jscan, but would still like it "officially" added

tph88

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
I am able to just put my hand around the handle to unlock then pull.. see if yours will do that also. Congrats on the install!
Yes, the unlock process takes a little time, you get used to grabbing the handle and waiting for a milli-second before pulling on it.
Gregj
I just realized what you meant - I don't have to push the button or pull the handle, just putting my hand near the door will unlock it! That's pretty cool - except the paranoid person in me always likes to check to make sure the door is actually locked by trying to open it after locking it. I will have to get out of that habit.
Sponsored