Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler

Fasco1

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Love seeing all the success stories. Hoping someone might see the issues I had on the tailgate and have a solution I have not tried. Installed in the tailgate remote fob flashes red light at the handle or button push but no lock or unlock. Have tried new parts program reprogram both with JScan and Tazer.
I opted to buy and install for the passenger door to make sure it worked first. May add tailgate to it. Did you try swapping out handles to see if yours is defective? Strange that your drivers door would work and not the tailgate
Sponsored

david63

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara, 2018 & 2015 2 door JK Sport
I opted to buy and install for the passenger door to make sure it worked first. May add tailgate to it. Did you try swapping out handles to see if yours is defective? Strange that your drivers door would work and not the tailgate
I only did the tailgate as a test and that is the one not working have not gone any further as the tailgate should work and was the easiest to install.

Fasco1

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yes, mine will keep locking or unlocking regardless of whether or not it’s already locked / unlocked. Basically operates the same as if you were pressing the key fob except you won’t get the horn sound on the second lock press as you do with the key fob.
Correction: Actually it does sound the horn if you press the button to lock, so it does operate pretty much the same as the key fob

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Alright,
The Proximity handles are treated as the first and second press of the fob remote, the drivers door is treated as the first press and the other door and tailgate are treated as the second press. So if you go into the radio setting under Doors & Locks and set it like this grasping the drivers door handle will unlock all doors.
E101CD4B-67F9-42BB-8BD8-1A71BACEC36B.jpeg

If you set it like this only the drivers door will unlock.
0B6ED236-F667-413A-9C95-94B0DF0F4D8C.jpeg

In either case grasping the passenger door or the tailgate will unlock all doors.

The fob has to be outside of the door being opened for the door/doors to unlock.

Proximity will not unlock the doors if the fob is in the Jeep and the doors are locked.
HTH
Gregj

Fasco1

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Really strange - you tried a new jumper harness and handle with no success? Wondering if it needs to see an active driver door to function. Wouldn't think so, but........ Perhaps those that have had success can see if they lose function to the tailgate when the doors are off. My tailgate is not done (will probably do that sometime in the near future) so I can't try it for you

Sponsored

Fasco1

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No.. I did my tailgate first no issues
Its a long shot, but perhaps different software version on some Jeeps. I believe it’s the same radio module that unlocks the doors with the key fob that unlocks the doors with proximity

Fasco1

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Love seeing all the success stories. Hoping someone might see the issues I had on the tailgate and have a solution I have not tried. Installed in the tailgate remote fob flashes red light at the handle or button push but no lock or unlock. Have tried new parts program reprogram both with JScan and Tazer.
I would try taking the tailgate handle and running the wires from there and tapping in into the drivers door connections or if you locate the module ( think it’s in the rears drivers wheel well) and go directly there just to see if it’ll work there. I think the button is simply a switch that jumps the two wires together.

tph88

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
I have a 2021 JLU Willys and I bought all the parts to do both front doors and the rear door. My Jeep had the wires in the dash harness so I added the door harnesses and handles with the new pieces next to them. Used the Tazer mini to activate it and only my rear door handle works. Has anyone had this happen? I checked the dash harness for bent pins as someone else recommended but every thing looks good. Any help would be great. Thanks.
Did you get it to work? I have only done the drivers door so far. I just got jscan, the bypass cable and obd2 thingamajig, changed the 3 settings, but no luck. :(

Purplehayes

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Did you get it to work? I have only done the drivers door so far. I just got jscan, the bypass cable and obd2 thingamajig, changed the 3 settings, but no luck. :(
I have not figured this out yet. I was hoping someone had the same problem and figured it out but no luck yet. Thanks

Sponsored

david63

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have not figured this out yet. I was hoping someone had the same problem and figured it out but no luck yet. Thanks
I have not gotten the tailgate to work to this point, have tried just about everything with no luck. I get the keyfob to flash but that is it.

Fasco1

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have not gotten the tailgate to work to this point, have tried just about everything with no luck. I get the keyfob to flash but that is it.
I tried duplicating your issue with my install with no luck, after giving it a bit of thought. Since your key fob flashes everything you did is working. Proximity sensor is functioning as well as the switch. I’m thinking it’s a programming issue that goes further than what any end user programming can accomplish. I would either disconnect the battery for 15 minutes in attempt to reset things or get a dealer to look at it. If you can find one willing.

david63

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I tried duplicating your issue with my install with no luck, after giving it a bit of thought. Since your key fob flashes everything you did is working. Proximity sensor is functioning as well as the switch. I’m thinking it’s a programming issue that goes further than what any end user programming can accomplish. I would either disconnect the battery for 15 minutes in attempt to reset things or get a dealer to look at it. If you can find one willing.
A while back I did try disconnecting the battery for about 30min with no change, will see if my dealer will take a look but not optimistic. Is there any way to reset the main module?

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR, 2021 JLU Sport Altitude
This is my wife's 21 JLU Sport Altitude. The body side of the harness appears to have the wiring. I don't know what the magic combination that makes Jeep install these two wires in a sport, but she has the 8.4 and Cold Weather/Remote Start. So it has to be one of those two items, unless it's suddenly in all 21s like the Gladiator? (the whole reason my wife is demanding this be done is because my JT came with the proximity handles).

Time to place my parts order and cross my fingers.

20210516_155727.jpg

Fasco1

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A while back I did try disconnecting the battery for about 30min with no change, will see if my dealer will take a look but not optimistic. Is there any way to reset the main module?
I don’t know about any kind of reset - did see on another thread that people with brand new Jeep’s with it factory installed having your issue. Same thing key fob lights but nothing happens. They never showed what their solution was though.
This is my wife's 21 JLU Sport Altitude. The body side of the harness appears to have the wiring. I don't know what the magic combination that makes Jeep install these two wires in a sport, but she has the 8.4 and Cold Weather/Remote Start. So it has to be one of those two items, unless it's suddenly in all 21s like the Gladiator? (the whole reason my wife is demanding this be done is because my JT came with the proximity handles).

Time to place my parts order and cross my fingers.

Jeep Wrangler JL Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler 20210516_155727

Most likely it will work - 2 short wires (1 foot long ) and 2 about 5 feet long. Why some models get them and other don't is anyones guess. Not like they offer it as a factory aftermarket in either one. I had to add the wires and it works great. Definitely worth it especially if you already have the wires.
Sponsored