Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Okay thanks, so the drivers door wires have to travel about 5 inches? I can see why the manufacturer left it out.
It is about a foot of wire needed for the drivers side.
Gregj
Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Lots of pages. So if I understand correctly, if my ‘21 Rubicon already has the correct door harnesses, do I just need to swap the exterior front door handle parts, the tailgate handle parts, and rear tailgate harness? Do the front interior door panels/cards even need to come off? Then find a dealer to add the sales code?

Thanks

Last edited:

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
You need the front door harness also or the aftermarket jumper from handle to plug mentioned in a few posts back. Personally I prefer factory. Not the same jumper mentioned for the Sport. That is different.

You can use JScan.. no need for a dealer.

Last edited:

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
You need the front door harness also or the aftermarket jumper from handle to plug mentioned in a few posts back. Personally I prefer factory. Not the same jumper mentioned for the Sport. That is different.

You can use JScan.. no need for a dealer.
Are JSCAN and Tazer compatible?

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I used JScan and it worked fine. It is the lowest cost route. Just need the cable & OBD2 adapter and pay for your VIN. Done..
I already have the Tazer and don’t plan on getting rid of it.

Fasco1

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Question on the finished product. I'm awaiting the parts for my drivers door. If I can get that working I will consider the passenger / rear.
Is it worth it o do the passenger door anyhow? Will grabbing the drivers door also unlock the passengers or do you need passive on the passengers door also?
Also, if you have the key fob inside the car with you and the door is locked. With the key fob in proximity will it unlock if someone outside grabs the handle or does it know the key fob is inside the jeep?

Thanks

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Question on the finished product. I'm awaiting the parts for my drivers door. If I can get that working I will consider the passenger / rear.
Is it worth it o do the passenger door anyhow? Will grabbing the drivers door also unlock the passengers or do you need passive on the passengers door also?
Also, if you have the key fob inside the car with you and the door is locked. With the key fob in proximity will it unlock if someone outside grabs the handle or does it know the key fob is inside the jeep?

Thanks
If it will unlock the drivers door or all doors depends on how you have the "doors and locks" set up. The system interprets the driver door touch as the first press of the remote, so, if you want it to unlock all doors set it in doors and locks to do that. the passenger door and the tailgate are interpreted as the second press of the fob button.
I have not tried it but i don't believe it will unlock the doors if the fob is in the Jeep. It does know the location of the fob.
Gregj

Fasco1

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Success here - set programming with Tazer mini JL. The ability to turn proximity on has only been updated in the past 6 months so I had to update the software. The only option was to turn it on and off, no options as to what door / doors it controls. The hardest part was adding the wires thats missing in the sport (although now that I've done it, it isn't so bad). Initially I didn't pop that little bar out so the terminals would not go in. The other thing that complicated things is trying the solve the puzzle of how each connector came apart.

I only did the drivers door, probably will do the rear gate, but not sure if I'll ever do the passenger door. Just don't think they'll be a need for it. In any case I added the wires to the kick plate connector. (Didn't want to have to open that one up again if I decided.)
Thank you GregJ and everyone else that helped guide me through it within this thread!!

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The option to set which door unlocks is in the radio, Doors and Locks, not the Tazer settings. Sorry I wasn't clear on that.

Gregj

rr1965

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Everything is installed and working - one question. Does yours unlock every time you touch the handle even if it's unlocked? My wife's GC has proximity and does not.

david63

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara, 2018 & 2015 2 door JK Sport
Love seeing all the success stories. Hoping someone might see the issues I had on the tailgate and have a solution I have not tried. Installed in the tailgate remote fob flashes red light at the handle or button push but no lock or unlock. Have tried new parts program reprogram both with JScan and Tazer.

Fasco1

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The option to set which door unlocks is in the radio, Doors and Locks, not the Tazer settings. Sorry I wasn't clear on that.

Gregj
Got it, thanks. Going back to passenger door passive, from what I understand it will only work for the person that has the key fob. Is that correct? So if I opted to only have the key fob open the drivers door it’s not going to let my wife open the passenger side any quicker unless she has a fob too. Am I right on that? If so I just don’t see a point of adding passenger passive.

Fasco1

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Everything is installed and working - one question. Does yours unlock every time you touch the handle even if it's unlocked? My wife's GC has proximity and does not.
[/
yes, mine will keep locking or unlocking regardless of whether or not it’s already locked / unlocked. Basically operates the same as if you were pressing the key fob except you won’t get the horn sound on the second lock press as you do with the key fob.
Sponsored