Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
So I got the bypass cable & wifi adapter.. purchased the JScan VIN for my unit and went through the settings as pointed out and applied them in both passive & radio.

I do not have any handles or harnesses installed yet but rear is on order.

Does anyone know if the settings will not show in the radio until the handles and wiring are installed? I am not seeing them yet.

I only ordered the rear for now to test things.
Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
If you have the 8.4 radio it may take some time for it to show up. You could pull the radio fuse or disconnect the battery to force an update, but that sometimes takes a while to load anyway.

Gregj

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
If you have the 8.4 radio it may take some time for it to show up. You could pull the radio fuse or disconnect the battery to force an update, but that sometimes takes a while to load anyway.

Gregj
Cool.. thanks Greg for the quick feedback. I'm in no hurry :). I ran through it a 2nd time just to make sure all the setting were still active through JScan just to be sure.

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
Jut wondering.. do you have to pull the handle for operation or just kind of wrap your hand around it.. And lock is pushing the button right? The button doesn't unlock if locked?

Just trying to be prepared for some mental testing once parts arrive.. :)

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
So ordered the rear handle, cap and harness from Bam Wholesale yesterday and it shipped today.

I had sent them a message as soon as I placed my order and they responded almost immediately and provided their phone # (not listed on site) and answered my question promptly.

With service like this they have a customer for life.

I also did the UConnect update from May 2019 which never came OTA so used the manual USB method. Can confirm that the Proximity settings do show in the Radio now and as a bonus I have Off Road Pages finally :).

Can't wait to get the rear handle in and see this work.

Sponsored

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I called my dealers parts department and they had no idea this was something you could do. I was trying to get a quote :(

cride1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
All of my parts are out for delivery today. I ordered from OEM Supply Source on 2/23. Was told parts were on backorder on 2/24 and got a shipping notice on 3/1 that my order shipped complete.

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
Well I have to say Kudos to Bam Wholesale.. Ordered Monday afternoon and arrived and installed & working today. That is service!

Only the rear so far but add me to the working list!! :clap: Works so cool.. just wrap your hand around and it unlocks. No pull needed. So works by using the rear if you want to access or lock the side doors. No need to open it if not desired.

Thanks @Etch & JScan!!! You guys ROCK!! :rock:

david63

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara, 2018 & 2015 2 door JK Sport
Thought I would post an update to see if there might be any other suggestions. I re-checked the rear tailgate wiring and new handle everything seems good, still getting the red light to flash on the keyfob at the button press or attempt to open but nothing happens with the lock. I did try swapping the cap with the original and then nothing happens so I am pretty sure the new one has the magnet. I have also double-checked the programming. I have the proximity lock listed and if I uncheck it I no longer get the keyfob to flash, I am scratching my head as to what could be wrong. I have pulled the hub fuse and waited about 10 min to see if that would reset anything no joy. I am open to other suggestions as I am not sure what else to try.

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
Thought I would post an update to see if there might be any other suggestions. I re-checked the rear tailgate wiring and new handle everything seems good, still getting the red light to flash on the keyfob at the button press or attempt to open but nothing happens with the lock. I did try swapping the cap with the original and then nothing happens so I am pretty sure the new one has the magnet. I have also double-checked the programming. I have the proximity lock listed and if I uncheck it I no longer get the keyfob to flash, I am scratching my head as to what could be wrong. I have pulled the hub fuse and waited about 10 min to see if that would reset anything no joy. I am open to other suggestions as I am not sure what else to try.
Is it just lock that is not working for your or both lock & unlock? This is indeed strange. I had no complications so did not get any troubleshooting time in. Are the other doors working i.e. locking and unlocking with the rear handle operation? You only did the rear correct?

Sponsored

david63

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is it just lock that is not working for your or both lock & unlock? This is indeed strange. I had no complications so did not get any troubleshooting time in. Are the other doors working i.e. locking and unlocking with the rear handle operation? You only did the rear correct?
I started with just the tailgate as that seemed the easiest one to try and others had success just doing the tailgate. I get the red flash on the fob at both lock attempt and unlock but do not get it to lock or unlock. Nothing mechanical seems to work but the lock and unlock work fine with the remote

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
I started with just the tailgate as that seemed the easiest one to try and others had success just doing the tailgate. I get the red flash on the fob at both lock attempt and unlock but do not get it to lock or unlock. Nothing mechanical seems to work but the lock and unlock work fine with the remote
So none of the doors will lock or unlock with the handle but they all do with the remote? This is a 2020 Sahara? And you see the remote flash when doing via handle either grabbing or button press?

david63

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So none of the doors will lock or unlock with the handle but they all do with the remote? This is a 2020 Sahara? And you see the remote flash when doing via handle either grabbing or button press?
Correct on all accounts - one thing I had not tried was disconnecting the battery and letting it sit for 30min or so to see if that resets anything, in process right now.

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
Correct on all accounts - one thing I had not tried was disconnecting the battery and letting it sit for 30min or so to see if that resets anything, in process right now.
Interesting.. definitely give that a shot.. almost seems like something is blocking like a security feature. Maybe that will help clear anything. I did do a uconnect update after I did the JScan settings so that kinda did a reload.

Edit - I do wonder if only disconnecting the main battery only would help. Possibly the ESS might need to be also?

david63

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting.. definitely give that a shot.. almost seems like something is blocking like a security feature. Maybe that will help clear anything. I did do a uconnect update after I did the JScan settings so that kinda did a reload.

Edit - I do wonder if only disconnecting the main battery only would help. Possibly the ESS might need to be also?
Well, another strike. Lef the battery disconnected for about 30+min some results. I have the eTorque system on the 2.0l and my understanding is that I only have the main battery and the 48V eTourque system battery but no smaller battery. I did check and it looks like my Uconnect is up to date.
Sponsored