Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler

cride1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Just ordered all parts from OEM Part Source. Ordered each part individually and came out to be basically the same price as the kit at $420 shipped to my door. There was no mention of anything being on backorder so we will see what happens. I have a 2018 Rubicon so hoping the install if fairly straightforward.
Sponsored

calvinf1

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU North Edition
Just ordered all parts from OEM Part Source. Ordered each part individually and came out to be basically the same price as the kit at $420 shipped to my door. There was no mention of anything being on backorder so we will see what happens. I have a 2018 Rubicon so hoping the install if fairly straightforward.
The harnesses are on national backorder. Probably a few more weeks away as I heard the earliest date is 2nd week of March. I have my order from OEM part source as well since December. Should be here soon...

cride1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just got a response from OEM Parts Source. They are telling me that both front harnesses are on national backorder, but also said that both front door handles and caps are on national backorder as well. Anybody else hearing that? I was under the impression that it was just the harnesses.

The harnesses are on national backorder. Probably a few more weeks away as I heard the earliest date is 2nd week of March. I have my order from OEM part source as well since December. Should be here soon...

calvinf1

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU North Edition
Just got a response from OEM Parts Source. They are telling me that both front harnesses are on national backorder, but also said that both front door handles and caps are on national backorder as well. Anybody else hearing that? I was under the impression that it was just the harnesses.
To be quite honest I was able to find the door handles and caps in pockets of places and was able to grab them while the are available.

I canceled my order from OEM Part Source for the harnesses this morning as I was able to find it at moparfactoryparts.com and they confirmed it shipped this morning. I had orders in at several places and this one received the harnesses first.

In total I spent about 430 with shipping altogether.

Griztko

First Name
Griztko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
To be quite honest I was able to find the door handles and caps in pockets of places and was able to grab them while the are available.

I canceled my order from OEM Part Source for the harnesses this morning as I was able to find it at moparfactoryparts.com and they confirmed it shipped this morning. I had orders in at several places and this one received the harnesses first.

I found the door handles at bamwholesaleparts.com. They didn't have the harness.

Sponsored

calvinf1

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU North Edition
try moparfactoryparts.com. They got me the harnesses on their first batch of shipments since Dec..

LA Kimball

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I just got notified that my UConnect has an update ready to download and install. Anybody else have this message and completed it yet? I am curious if the JScan changes will need to be updated again and if they do to ensure we can still reprogram for the proximity to work after the update has been installed. Who wants to be the guinea pig??

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Wife’s Ucannotconnect updated the other day and all still works fine.
Gregj

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I just got notified that my UConnect has an update ready to download and install. Anybody else have this message and completed it yet? I am curious if the JScan changes will need to be updated again and if they do to ensure we can still reprogram for the proximity to work after the update has been installed. Who wants to be the guinea pig??
Got the UConnect update the other day and it did not affect any of the JSCAN changes I had made on my JL.

I had disabled Weather Alerts, Traffic and such with JSCAN a few weeks ago and even doing that did not keep the UConnect update from being done..

Sponsored

cride1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got a notice from OEM Part Source that all of my parts were shipped today!

tankers

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU Sahara, 2021 JLU Sport Altitude
FWIW, I ordered only the tailgate parts from DodgeParts.com on 1/20/2021 and got them 2/28/2021 (I called ahead of time to make sure they would be able to put the parts on backorder for me).

Just went with the tailgate first to make sure it would work for my 2021 JL Sport S Altitude with Remote start/entry (and install looked WAY easier than the front doors).

Opted to just plug in my new proximity handle first to make sure it worked before I uninstalled the non-proximity handle.

After pulling my hair out trying to get the new handle to lock with a press of the handle button (it was doing nothing when I pressed the button, not even making the FOB light flash) I happened across a post in this thread that explained WHY you needed a new handle cap.

It's the magnet, stupid.

Sure enough, when I placed the cap where it should be on the handle, the proximity worked great (used JSCAN to set up the ECU, FYI).

An added benefit I didn't think about is that when I lock or unlock from the tailgate handle, it locks/unlocks all my doors.

So if I want to unlock my driver's door without using my FOB, I just have to remember to walk from the back first, tug on the tailgate handle, and BOOM! no more reaching in my pocket to get in the Jeep!

With that, I may not take on the front door installs, but time will tell!

A+ to everyone who contributed to this thread!

Last edited:

david63

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara, 2018 & 2015 2 door JK Sport
FWIW, I ordered only the tailgate parts from DodgeParts.com on 1/20/2021 and got them 2/28/2021 (I called ahead of time to make sure they would be able to put the parts on backorder for me).

Just went with the tailgate first to make sure it would work for my 2021 JL Sport S Altitude with Remote start/entry (and install looked WAY easier than the front doors).

Opted to just plug in my new proximity handle first to make sure it worked before I uninstalled the non-proximity handle.

After pulling my hair out trying to get the new handle to lock with a press of the handle button (it was doing nothing when I pressed the button, not even making the FOB light flash) I happened across a post in this thread that explained WHY you needed a new handle cap.

It's the magnet, stupid.

Sure enough, when I placed the cap where it should be on the handle, the proximity worked great (used JSCAN to set up the ECU, FYI).

An added benefit I didn't think about is that when I lock or unlock from the tailgate handle, it locks/unlocks all my doors.

So if I want to unlock my driver's door without using my FOB, I just have to remember to walk from the back first, tug on the tailgate handle, and BOOM! no more reaching in my pocket to get in the Jeep!

With that, I may not take on the front door installs, but time will tell!

A+ to everyone who contributed to this thread!
Glad to see that the tailgate only works, I am still pulling out my hair as I connected the tailgate and got the Programing done and the key fob light flashes (both on the button push or grabbing the handle to open) but the door(s) do not lock or unlock

tankers

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU Sahara, 2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Glad to see that the tailgate only works, I am still pulling out my hair as I connected the tailgate and got the Programing done and the key fob light flashes (both on the button push or grabbing the handle to open) but the door(s) do not lock or unlock
Hmm... read through some of your older posts (so I didn't accidentally recommend something you already did).

The main thought I have is maybe you've got a faulty part?

The cap shouldn't matter but perhaps the harness or handle has a bad/loose wire?

It'll suck to splash out another $100 (and wait 1 - 2 months for backorder) to see, but maybe worth it?

Just open the packaging carefully so you can try to return the parts (or sell to a fellow forum member!) if it doesn't help. :)

I think you already tried this, but maybe reseat the plug that connects to the lock in the tailgate?

I know I had to shove mine pretty hard to get it to click in.

david63

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara, 2018 & 2015 2 door JK Sport
Hmm... read through some of your older posts (so I didn't accidentally recommend something you already did).

The main thought I have is maybe you've got a faulty part?

The cap shouldn't matter but perhaps the harness or handle has a bad/loose wire?

It'll suck to splash out another $100 (and wait 1 - 2 months for backorder) to see, but maybe worth it?

Just open the packaging carefully so you can try to return the parts (or sell to a fellow forum member!) if it doesn't help. :)

I think you already tried this, but maybe reseat the plug that connects to the lock in the tailgate?

I know I had to shove mine pretty hard to get it to click in.
Thanks - I think I will try taking it apart again and see if something is not seated correctly, next step might be new parts? The weird part is the flashing of the keyfob as that seems to point toward the parts working and sending a signal?
Sponsored