Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
There is only one wire bundle in the tailgate, ok well two but the other is the video cable for the camera, you won’t mistake that one for the jumper you are replacing. The jumper connects to the latch mechanism and the wire harness and the new one has an extra connector for the handle.

Gregj
Sponsored

david63

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara, 2018 & 2015 2 door JK Sport
I've seen that picture but it doesn't show which cable gets replaced. I have the parts coming in the next week, so hopefully it's pretty obvious when I have it all apart. Just funny about how much is out there for working on the doors, how to make your own cable, and the how to get the vehicle to recognize it hall, there is so little about that part. I'm sure it'll be clear when I work on it.
I just did my tailgate and it is obvious the cable in the Jeep runs from the tailgate to the door lock once you pop off the panel you will see it on he right sIDE. The only hard part was getting your had through the opening to unclip the harness on the lock. The new one has the original two connections and a new one that goes to the new handle there is also a clip to hold the harness near the handle also pretty obvious.

Buzzguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
There is only one wire bundle in the tailgate, ok well two but the other is the video cable for the camera, you won’t mistake that one for the jumper you are replacing. The jumper connects to the latch mechanism and the wire harness and the new one has an extra connector for the handle.

Gregj
I just did my tailgate and it is obvious the cable in the Jeep runs from the tailgate to the door lock once you pop off the panel you will see it on he right sIDE. The only hard part was getting your had through the opening to unclip the harness on the lock. The new one has the original two connections and a new one that goes to the new handle there is also a clip to hold the harness near the handle also pretty obvious.
The picture in the first picture look like it has 3 connections, so that's what it should be when it's ready to go. Okay. Makes sense.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I've seen that picture but it doesn't show which cable gets replaced. I have the parts coming in the next week, so hopefully it's pretty obvious when I have it all apart. Just funny about how much is out there for working on the doors, how to make your own cable, and the how to get the vehicle to recognize it hall, there is so little about that part. I'm sure it'll be clear when I work on it.
I don't recall it being hard to figure out when I did it.

adamh86

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I wanted to wait until I got it working to post my experience. But I'll start by thanking the people on this thread that listened to my issues and helped tremendously.

TLDR version:
2020 JLUSS driver and tailgate working by replacing the door harness, handle, and cap listed in this post.

1)Went the dealer route for GXD programming.
2)Did nothing to body side of connector or wiring.

I don't know why my sport S was different, maybe because it was late model 2020, but I will post my build sheet or picture of body side connection if it helps someone else that's been dreading the work a sport s requires. Other than thinking I did something wrong/out of order/pulling my hair out frustrated that I was dumb this wasn't as scary as I thought. Turns out the dealer must have sent me the wrong cap, because a replacement from eBay made it work perfectly. So weeks of troubleshooting and dispair were for nothing lol. Thanks again for everyone's help.
How did you get the dealer to program did they give you a hard time? My dealer said they couldn’t do it. I used JScan but would rather have the dealer flash. I think you bought the cap from me on eBay. I had some left over parts I couldn’t get them at the time I was installing. So I bought a complete set off a guy on this forum. He decided he was gonna trade in for a gladiator.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
How did you get the dealer to program did they give you a hard time? My dealer said they couldn’t do it. I used JScan but would rather have the dealer flash. I think you bought the cap from me on eBay. I had some left over parts I couldn’t get them at the time I was installing. So I bought a complete set off a guy on this forum. He decided he was gonna trade in for a gladiator.

Here’s what I gave my dealer as instructions and they successfully added the code for me.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...parts-links-on-jl-wrangler.49241/post-1151286

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
The dealer may not want to do this for reasons having nothing to do with not knowing how. I think the above directions to the dealer are correct.

Please note, if not already known, that you will be required to reprogram the Jscan entries any time that the vehicle is taken into the dealer for service in the future that involves applying a programming flash.

This is infrequent, and the reprogramming you need to do with Jscan is neither hard nor time consuming, but do be advised of this.

This programming on your part is not required if you can get the dealer to add the sales code.

david63

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just did this on my Rubicon 30 minutes ago. Tailgate only and used my Tazer to enable Proximity. Performed a reboot of Tazer and it worked perfect! I have proximity at the tailgate. Now I need to find parts for the doors.
Just curious if there was anything else that you did aside form adding the parts and using the Tazer to program. I am at a loas as I have done the same things and the option is available on the radio but the handLE and button don’t do what they are supposed to?

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Just curious if there was anything else that you did aside form adding the parts and using the Tazer to program. I am at a loas as I have done the same things and the option is available on the radio but the handLE and button don’t do what they are supposed to?
Others have had the wrong caps sent to them and the system won’t work without the magnet in the cap. As a test awhile back I removed a cap and used a magnetic pickup tool held where the cap would go and the system worked. Might be worth a try to see if that is the issue.

Gregj

Sponsored

david63

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Others have had the wrong caps sent to them and the system won’t work without the magnet in the cap. As a test awhile back I removed a cap and used a magnetic pickup tool held where the cap would go and the system worked. Might be worth a try to see if that is the issue.

Gregj
Thanks - I had seen that mentioned in some previous posts and did give that a try, with no luck It does seem that based on the part number I have the correct cap. The odd thing is that if I push the button on the handle the red led flashs on the remote as well as when I grab the handle so it seems “something” is working?

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
Anyway to identify if the caps you’ve received are the correct caps? I have one cap here for the rear gate and am currently waiting on the rest of the parts. Would like to be sure I received the correct parts.

adamh86

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Anyway to identify if the caps you’ve received are the correct caps? I have one cap here for the rear gate and am currently waiting on the rest of the parts. Would like to be sure I received the correct parts.
They are magnetic along the side that is next to the handle.

Buzzguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
I just got my parts and they sent me the 68299333AF which is for a Wrangler with BSM for the front driver side harness instead of the 68325454AE which I ordered for mine as I don’t have BSM. Does anyone know if this will work?

Deke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 6.7
I don't see why it wouldn't work. If it were me, I'd just zip tie the leads for the BSM so they don't rattle around in the door and call it good.
Sponsored