Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler

jlgunner2

First Name
Karyl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
I have a friend who has a 2018 Sports. She doesn't have the factory remote start but it is programmed into her key fob. Will this work on her jeep?
Sponsored

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
I have a friend who has a 2018 Sports. She doesn't have the factory remote start but it is programmed into her key fob. Will this work on her jeep?
If she has a Sport she likely doesn’t have the necessary wiring to which the door harness plugs into. Some have successfully done it on Sports, but it is slightly more complicated.

adamh86

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Another issue I encountered while installing was the harness to the door handle. First, I left the harness to the door handle hanging down but whenever I would roll the window down it would push on it. So I learned to tuck it towards the door latch and make sure it clears the track when the windows are rolled down.

FDEA959E-F8D9-492F-BB33-9E59A2D57D9A.jpeg
I ran mine around to the back of the door around the latch behind the window track and hooked mine in the clips under the door handle. I put a tie wrap on a spot it looked like it went above the door latch you can see it on the second picture.
Jeep Wrangler JL Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler 52791D4C-0C67-4562-BAB9-D4461F99599C
Jeep Wrangler JL Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler 18C90239-4AF4-4A8C-8A3B-4E35FA6D983C

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Hi Proximity people:

At one point I was current on all posts here, although not recently.

So if this has come before I apologize.

Many of you, like me, couldn't get your dealer to add the Sales code for proximity locks and resorted to use of a 12 + 8 cable and ODB2 device, along with the Jscan app, to get the vehicle to recognize the new proximity locks door hardware you installed.....

...a process you'll likely have to repeat whenever the dealer re-flashes the vehicle.

For those who face this, the following is a very interesting thread on accessing the SGA gateway (those hard to reach 12 and 8 pin ports below the steering wheel) necessary to access with the 12 + 9 cable and a Jscan compatible ODB2 device to program proxmity locks.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-for-our-modifications-tazer-or-others.61043/

A summary of the thread discusses how this Chinese company in this post sells the equivalent of a 12 pin and 8 pin (as one product) "extension cord" so that only one time, you face the difficulty of freeing those 2 cables and inserting in their place the 2 male ends (12 pin and 8 pin) of the extension cord, and forever more, plug the factory wires that normally plugged in there into the female ends of the extension cord in far less back breaking a manner.

Come time to disconnect those 2 factory male ends to plug in your 12 + 8 cable and ODB2 device to reprogram proximity locks after a dealer flash, via Jscan and it is SO much easier to physically do. Some goes I imagine for "unmarrying" a JL Tazer prior a dealer visit, and "remarrying" it thereafter.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...70.html?spm=a2700.12243863.0.0.22113e5fUxE2CL

Sure....no JL Owner wants to buy 40+ cables from this website. Half way down the page, where is says "samples" you can buy as little as one.

Alternatively @joe@zauto Joe, of the well known JL Tazer, did the work for you if you'd like the convenience of buying a slightly better version of the cable (better wrapping) from him.

(I have no connection to Z Automotive, good or bad.)

https://www.zautomotive.com/product/sgw-extension-cable/

Sure, there's a price difference. But you're paying for convenience. Joe ships FedEx and if there's problems (not likely, but if) I'll bet he stands by things. The shipping time and cost from China I'll bet isn't cheap either. And if there's problems....good luck dealing with the Far East manufacturer--no disrespect to the Chinese intended....I'm simple saying with distance, time difference, and language barriers, customer service on orders of 1 or 2 may be harder.

The 99.99% of the time that this port isn't accessed by you, the extension cord can just be tucked up and away.

:)

palumbum

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Renegade Sport
Is there a write up or video for the trunk specifically? Parts finally just came in and can’t figure it out

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Pretty easy, the trim panel just pops off unless you have the trail rail system in which case you have to take three screws from the rail and then pop the panel off.

The wire harness just replaces the short one that is there. Pull the black plug from the inside above the data plate. You will need a long torx driver to get the screw out of the cap. Swap the handle and plug in the new wires and replace the cap.
Gregj

Sponsored

palumbum

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Renegade Sport
Sadly they sent me the wrong end cap for the passenger side (sent me two trunk end caps) so I can’t test the passenger side but I got the wiring harness and everything set up! Trunk is working and hopefully with the right end cap, so will the passenger side

StuartR

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
I found all the parts but I am unclear on how I tell if my Sport S has the requisite Antenna's already installed. I saw a post saying there should be one behind a trim panel onthe left and/or right B Pillar(s) but I cannot find that post again to see if I read it correctly.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
I found all the parts but I am unclear on how I tell if my Sport S has the requisite Antenna's already installed. I saw a post saying there should be one behind a trim panel onthe left and/or right B Pillar(s) but I cannot find that post again to see if I read it correctly.
You should have all the antenna's needed, but refer to post #193 of this thread to see if you have the wires necessary in the dash harness. Many of us Sport S owners have had to add the wires to the dash harness. Not an impossible job but does involve some work.

Gregj

StuartR

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
You should have all the antenna's needed, but refer to post #193 of this thread to see if you have the wires necessary in the dash harness. Many of us Sport S owners have had to add the wires to the dash harness. Not an impossible job but does involve some work.

Gregj
Well crap. Looks like my harness does not have those pins.

IMG_4796.jpg

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Just to verify, those pins are exclusively used for prox locks, and aren't installed on the sport models because prox wasn't available as an option for those vehicles?
Sponsored