Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler

N2AWS

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Yes, i have the BSM so that might be the holdup. I'm out of town all week. The order was originally promised to be in the middle of August. I haven't pestered the parts guy since I can't get there to pick them up anyway.
I contacted the place I ordered from. They told me that 68299332AF is the part on backorder, and processed a partial shipment. I got a shipping notification last night, that all of the other parts shipped, so I should be able to get the left door working, and the handle installed for the right door. Then eventually I can do the harness for the right hand side.
Sponsored

Rubicon_20

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
EHS
Hey guys,
Just wanted to let anyone know in the Orlando, FL and surrounding areas that the Rep handling this area is not giving any of the dealerships I condacted any leeway in getting the code for the Proximity Entry. My Service Director said she is a PITA and essentially if its not sold as a kit she will not have anything to do with it.

Anyone else in Florida have any luck getting the code?

N2AWS

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Hey guys,
Just wanted to let anyone know in the Orlando, FL and surrounding areas that the Rep handling this area is not giving any of the dealerships I condacted any leeway in getting the code for the Proximity Entry. My Service Director said she is a PITA and essentially if its not sold as a kit she will not have anything to do with it.

Anyone else in Florida have any luck getting the code?
With the jscan option now, I wouldn't waste time on trying to get a dealer to do it personally.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
With the jscan option now, I wouldn't waste time on trying to get a dealer to do it personally.
I completely agree Jeff, but just want to "put it out there" again that if you equip proximity locks on your rig thorough Jscan, and not through dealer installed sales code, that if/when your dealer subsequently flashes your rig when you bring it in for service, for whatever reason, that it's entirely possible that your proximity locks will no longer work, and that you will need to re-run the configuration of your new proximity lock installed hardware again through Jscan, just as you did to configure it for the first time.

...not that this is difficult, but likely necessary. : - )

joe@zauto

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler rubicon unlimited
I originally started this quest, oh last year, I guess. I reached out to Z automotive on this and BSM upgrade. No go. I became frustrated when Z was confident it would require reprogramming the RF Hub and more... (at least for PE). I had to drop offline for a while due to health issues, so I missed a lot! I read this thread and was glad to see that others on the forum and JSCAN figured this out. I suspect Z Automotive will get there, too.
Back in May 2018, we tried this out on one of our early 2018’s. No luck. Wrote the codes in just fine, wired it all up, but it wouldn’t work. I thought it was because of a locked RF Hub that wouldn’t accept the change until unlocked. I never revisited the project, and that JL is long gone. The one I have now is a 19 with prox entry from the factory.

Now that I see some of you have done this with success, I know that it was just because the early 18’s aren’t capable; the software didn’t exist.
I can easily add the option into the Tazer (it’s actually still in there, just commented out), as many of you that would do this mod already have the tazer. Look out for firmware 11.2.2, which will have prox entry option and UGDO, for those adding the homelink visor which seems to be gaining popularity.

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Back in May 2018, we tried this out on one of our early 2018’s. No luck. Wrote the codes in just fine, wired it all up, but it wouldn’t work. I thought it was because of a locked RF Hub that wouldn’t accept the change until unlocked. I never revisited the project, and that JL is long gone. The one I have now is a 19 with prox entry from the factory.

Now that I see some of you have done this with success, I know that it was just because the early 18’s aren’t capable; the software didn’t exist.
I can easily add the option into the Tazer (it’s actually still in there, just commented out), as many of you that would do this mod already have the tazer. Look out for firmware 11.2.2, which will have prox entry option and UGDO, for those adding the homelink visor which seems to be gaining popularity.
For you to equip it on the Tazer Joe, I imagine that unlike with the Jscan app and ODBI II compatible scanner, dealer flashes made to the vehicle after the owner programs proximity locks with your gear are such that it might not be necessary to reprogram proximity locks after the dealer flash, as is the case with the Jscan route.

Thoughts?

Also, I have an April 2018 Sahara: relatively old as the JL goes. I was able to program proximity locks via the Jscan route with it, for what little that may be worth as to your thoughts on compatibility issues to add proximity locks to the older JLs. : - )

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
What did u do from that point? In theory, you replaced the door harness. Now you need to run the wires from the terminal to the new harness. Do you have a pix of that process?
When I took that picture the upgrade had already been done for several weeks.

You have to take that connector loose and pull the left kick panel and add the wires to the dash harness as laid out by jlmoparman. I put together the four wires like this and added them to the dash harness between xy315a and the door connector.
A49CB070-6EBE-4A0D-AA92-D5B01FDA88DB.jpeg

Gregj

MikelMD

First Name
Mikel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLU
Occupation
Principal Sales Engineer, Public Sector
When I took that picture the upgrade had already been done for several weeks.

You have to take that connector loose and pull the left kick panel and add the wires to the dash harness as laid out by jlmoparman. I put together the four wires like this and added them to the dash harness between xy315a and the door connector.
Jeep Wrangler JL Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler A49CB070-6EBE-4A0D-AA92-D5B01FDA88DB

Gregj
Wait! If I understand correctly, you "inserted" the new lines in the existing dash harness connector - on the jeep side? OK, that is cool. Also, I believe what you are saying is that the terminal (many people have called it) is item xy315a. And I run wires from there to the "new Harness" on the door. Do I finally have it???

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several of us have added the wires/pins to the factory dash harness. You just have to release the lock on the connector and insert the pin in the proper cavity. The door side is pretty easy. But xy315a is a bit more of a challenge as the connector is water proof and has seals and cavity plugs you will have to take out. When done it looks like a factory install.

Gregj

Sponsored

Rubicon_20

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
EHS
Tazer JL and Tazer JL Mini firmware 11.2.2 has been uploaded today, allowing prox entry enable and HomeLink enable for those that add the hardware.
No way that’s awesome. They finally got it

palumbum

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Renegade Sport
Does anybody know if remote start is a necessity? Do regular keys work?

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Remote start is not necessary but power locks are. This will not work on a base Sport.
Gregj

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
FYI, if color matched door handles are your thing - or if you don't mind gloss black vs flat black, the High Altitude color-matched handles are about $65 vs $85 for black (at online parts dealers with good pricing)- so $20 cheaper - and are proximity handles. The caps are a little more $13 vs $9 so a net of about $16 per handle, about $50 for all the handle parts.

Not available in the parts system yet, but the part numbers are. So it may be a while befor you get them. Only colors:

Billet Silver
Granite Crystal
Black
White
Ocean Blue

palumbum

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Renegade Sport
FYI, if color matched door handles are your thing - or if you don't mind gloss black vs flat black, the High Altitude color-matched handles are about $65 vs $85 for black (at online parts dealers with good pricing)- so $20 cheaper - and are proximity handles. The caps are a little more $13 vs $9 so a net of about $16 per handle, about $50 for all the handle parts.

Not available in the parts system yet, but the part numbers are. So it may be a while befor you get them. Only colors:

Billet Silver
Granite Crystal
Black
White
Ocean Blue
Oh shoot I have Granite crystal... anybody wanna trade a drivers side handle?? Or buy it off me lol
Sponsored