Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler

palumbum

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Renegade Sport
Jeep Wrangler JL Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler image
Ah this panel was a lot larger than I envisioned. If you guys have weathered mats in it helps to remove it first
Sponsored

palumbum

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Renegade Sport
Jeep Wrangler JL Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler image
Do I just pull these plastic pins out and replace them with the wiring harness ones? Also @Gregj said 20 and 21 are passenger side but that post says 20 and 21 are driver side.... do we know for sure...

Deke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 6.7
20 and 21 are right (Passenger) side according the the wiring diagram. That's how I wired mine.

palumbum

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Renegade Sport
20 and 21 are right (Passenger) side according the the wiring diagram. That's how I wired mine.
Alright thanks. And then do I just yank these plastic pins out with pliers?

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
25 an 26 are the drivers side, You will have to pop that black plastic separator loose and slide it back far as you can and do the same for the light blue seal under that. To release that plastic pin you will need to use a fine wire ie: small paperclip, to release it from the other side. There is a hole under the spot for the pin that is to release the pin. Google youtube on releasing Molex pins for info.

Gregj

ETA: there is a red plastic cover on the other side that pops out too to release the pin blanks so you can insert the wires.

Sponsored

palumbum

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Renegade Sport
25 an 26 are the drivers side, You will have to pop that black plastic separator loose and slide it back far as you can and do the same for the light blue seal under that. To release that plastic pin you will need to use a fine wire ie: small paperclip, to release it from the other side. There is a hole under the spot for the pin that is to release the pin. Google youtube on releasing Molex pins for info.

Gregj

ETA: there is a red plastic cover on the other side that pops out too to release the pin blanks so you can insert the wires.
Okay thanks just saw them use a staple to do it. Looks like I have to call it quits for the night. Can’t seem to get the black piece off, what’s the best way to do that?

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just pried up on it from the short side and it popped off. Sorry, I'm at work and can't get pictures of mine to help.

Gregj

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
When you take off the main door connector and put it back on be careful it is in straight and fully seated before moving the white handle. Some people have bent pins or popped them out. Also applies to removing and putting on the doors.

palumbum

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Renegade Sport
No worries at all. If you can send some later or in the
I just pried up on it from the short side and it popped off. Sorry, I'm at work and can't get pictures of mine to help.

Gregj
thanks guys. I’m going to get back at it tomorrow and hopefully take some pics to help other Sport owners. I’d rather my frustrations help other people go quicker! I’m going to try and pop off that black piece and continue the install on my lunch break. Hopefully it’s 1, 2, 3

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
I originally started this quest, oh last year, I guess. I reached out to Z automotive on this and BSM upgrade. No go. I became frustrated when Z was confident it would require reprogramming the RF Hub and more... (at least for PE). I had to drop offline for a while due to health issues, so I missed a lot! I read this thread and was glad to see that others on the forum and JSCAN figured this out. I suspect Z Automotive will get there, too.

Many have posted wiring diagrams that they paid for from FCA Tech Authority. This is very gracious. If you are delving into any wiring project, it's a good idea to search this forum for appropriate diagrams, and if not found, pay for a one or three day subscription at FCA Tech Authority - $26.95 and $36.95 respectively. Download as much as you can in that time! Many of the interactive features (like linking of connectors/locations/pinouts to wiring diagrams) are only available online, as the links are lost when downloading SVG files. There are also descriptions of operations, troubleshooting procedures, etc. You have a much broader parts list with parts for many options. You can filter by VIN, or use a VIN of a JL with option you are looking for. It's worth a $27 outlay IMHO.

Read the wiring diagrams. They provide pin numbers, wire gauge, wire color, connector number, and if online - connector location, and in some instance repair kits (male/female pins and wire pigtails). They show grounding locations, and when you drill down, relevant power distribution relay or fuse.

Read the descriptions. They tell how all the components work with each other and normal operation. There are on 3d views you can rotate to see exact locations of a particular connector or component.

For example, attached is the description of how the PE system works and locations of components. There is a lot of useful information in this thread, but there is some inaccurate information. For instance the door handles ARE NOT antennas. This shows the location of antennas. Five total. There is actually a sixth, needed for pushbutton start located behind the HVAC controls.

There are similar diagrams and descriptions for ALL systems. Again it is worth researching, here on the forum, and on FCA. And in the event you do need to visit a dealer, you will be as well informed (or better is some cases) than they are. The questions

Attachments

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Also all the wiring diagrams are in the Electronic, Electrical, .. forum in the sticky threads. Used them many times.

palumbum

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Renegade Sport
Jeep Wrangler JL Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler 79560351-A26F-457A-A0BF-AC42F54666BF
Alright red cover is off and blue and black are up. I can’t seem to figure out how to pop the plastic out. I’m using a paper clip and watching videos online. Can anyone offer assistance here?

Houston

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu
79560351-A26F-457A-A0BF-AC42F54666BF.jpeg
Alright red cover is off and blue and black are up. I can’t seem to figure out how to pop the plastic out. I’m using a paper clip and watching videos online. Can anyone offer assistance here?
I did my last night and just connected #25/26 to door #15/16 with 2 wires.
I mean from male 25/26 to female 15/16

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
di it work? Oddly the connections according to the diagram are:
Drivers side
25 to 16
26 to 15
Passenger side
20 to 15
21 to 16
interesting to know if they work
25 to 15
26 to 16
Jeep Wrangler JL Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler pic

Gregj

palumbum

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Renegade Sport
How’d you get in the door harness for 15/16? Embarrassed to admit it but I went at it for 45 minutes and ended up bending both wires at the end. The angle is so tough and those wires have no give and there are so many around 15 and 16.
Sponsored