Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I am still trying to find one of the door caps... No one has these.
I truly wonder sir if one where to take the existing door caps, carefully drill into their "aft" ends, insert a cylindrical neodymium magnet, and close up the hole with black caulk if this wouldn't get around the need to have the door caps replaced at all.

@nerubi : Mike: am I correct in my understanding that barring the presence of a magnet in the proximity door lock end caps, that they are pretty much identical to the standard JL non-proximity lock door caps?

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I truly wonder sir if one where to take the existing door caps, carefully drill into their "aft" ends, insert a cylindrical neodymium magnet, and close up the hole with black caulk if this wouldn't get around the need to have the door caps replaced at all.

@nerubi : Mike: am I correct in my understanding that barring the presence of a magnet in the proximity door lock end caps, that they are pretty much identical to the standard JL non-proximity lock door caps?
I'd need to ask my parts guy since he's the one that knows about the magnet difference but don't know if he knows if there is any other difference.

If Quadratec has the caps in stock for the front doors, as mentioned earlier, people could order from them. But I don't know if they have then in stock or just order them from Mopar.

pfregeolle

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR, '18 JLUS
Quadratec does not have the caps in stock. I have messaged about 15 different sites, and no one expects to get them until late August. this is an interesting though about inserting a magnet however....

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My parts guy says he doesn't know for sure if the only difference in the caps is the magnet or if there is anything special about the magnet.

Glad I did mine early before all of the demand put them out of stock. My order was just slowed a little by Covid shipping delays.

Sponsored

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
My parts guy says he doesn't know for sure if the only difference in the caps is the magnet or if there is anything special about the magnet.

Glad I did mine early before all of the demand put them out of stock. My order was just slowed a little by Covid shipping delays.
I still don’t really understand the purpose of the magnet. Maybe it senses the pull of the handle and immediately unlocks the door?

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
I still don’t really understand the purpose of the magnet. Maybe it senses the pull of the handle and immediately unlocks the door?
Just a guess on my part but I think one of the wires has a coil of wire on the end next to the magnet. When you grab the handle your hand dampens the magnetic field in the wire which creates a pulse that “wakes up” the BCM which then looks for a fob and finding one, unlocks the door. Pushing the button just closes the circuit between the two wires and locks the doors if it finds a fob nearby.

I don’t think just any magnet would work because the strength of the field and the poles of the magnet are engineered to creat the right pulse.

Gregj

I’m not going to take apart an $84 dollar handle to find out.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler

Thanks Mike.

I think I am going to try what I suggest tomorrow and see if it works.

Specifically, since removal of the door end caps (with a properly sized long torx wrench) is trivial, I'm going to try removing one of the front ones and placing a strong (i.e. neodymium) magnet temporarily in its place to see if things work.

If it does I'll try finding an appropriate sized neodymium magnet (think small cylinder-they come in all different sizes) to create a workaround for people to use in lieu of their ability to order these end caps. They can drill their end caps with a bit whose size I'll get right, drop the magnet in, and close the hole with black caulking.

As far as their effect is concerned (@Gregj) I think it may be like the magnet that's glued to the door jam of an alarmed door of my residence:

These things usually work as a product of the sensor that sits near the magnet when the door is shut having a reed switch on a spring that attracted to the magnet, closes a circuit.

Pull the sensor from the magnet, like opening the [car] door, and the reed switch springs to its normally open state with no nearby magnet for it to be attracted to and close the circuit as a result of this attraction.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As far as their effect is concerned (@Gregj) I think it may be like the magnet that's glued to the door jam of an alarmed door of my residence:

These things usually work as a product of the sensor that sits near the magnet when the door is shut having a reed switch on a spring that attracted to the magnet, closes a circuit.

Pull the sensor from the magnet, like opening the [car] door, and the reed switch springs to its normally open state with no nearby magnet for it to be attracted to and close the circuit as a result of this attraction.
Except there is no movement required to unlock the doors, you just put your hand around the handle and it unlocks. A reed switch requires movement of the switch or magnet to open or close the circuit.

Good luck with the experiment and I am interested in the results.

Gregj

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Except there is no movement required to unlock the doors, you just put your hand around the handle and it unlocks. A reed switch requires movement of the switch or magnet to open or close the circuit.

Good luck with the experiment and I am interested in the results.

Gregj
@Gee-pah so curiosity got the better of me and I decided to test your theory, I’ll be darned it works! I just used a telescope magnetic pick up and held it in place next to the handle and it worked.
E1C98CC8-8211-4F7D-9597-45656E17A4A6.jpeg

Gregj

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I took apart one of the old caps and you should be able to drill a correct sized hole and insert and glue a magnet in and they will work. Pictures of the inside of the cap so you can see what you are drilling into.
EB2AE0AE-B6A4-4465-A64E-1B48CE7F740C.jpeg
837DAB38-D910-4461-9D97-3639C371B75D.jpeg

Gregj

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
@Gee-pah so curiosity got the better of me and I decided to test your theory, I’ll be darned it works! I just used a telescope magnetic pick up and held it in place next to the handle and it worked.
Jeep Wrangler JL Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler 837DAB38-D910-4461-9D97-3639C371B75D

Gregj
Awesome!...especially since I haven't had the time to try this and felt bad about it because I promised here that I would.

People...with Greg's work, a little Gorilla Glue and a right sized neodymium (read strong for size) magnet, which comes in virtually every shape and size on the internet (including ebay), had I known, I never would have bought the new end caps otherwise not available now and done this myself.

Thanks Greg!!!

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
As an FYI I was talking with my dealership today and found out that the proximity equipment if bought from a Mopar dealer is covered under the Mopar 2 year warranty and not the Jeep warranty, which works out a little better for me because I have less than that left on my factory warranty. The installation isn't covered under either and if any damage to other components are caused by the installation they aren't covered under either warranty.
Sponsored