Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Hi All:

A few days ago a light came on in my Automatic JL Sahara that read "SERV 4WD."

Today I got it serviced at the dealer: some faulty wire they claim; in their so doing restoring my vehicle to a state where this light no longer comes on.

When I got home my Passive Entry locks, installed with the Jscan device written up in this thread were not working.

It was pretty straightforward to restore them with Jscan, an ODB compatible scanner and a Security Bypass cable I already had from the initial install, the technique being identical, but I just want to let you know, if this hasn't come up already, that I guess it's not out of the realm of possibility that you too might temporarily loose your Proximity Locks after a dealer service visit.
Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
If they flash your computer FCA doesn't have the proximity in their database so you lose the function. You found out the fix.

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
What is the trick to getting the two plugs out for the security bypass? I can feel the retention clip on the front side of the plug. Push on the retention clip and pulling is not releasing the plug. Maybe my fingers are just too big.
Bill, I just saw this post in a search.

1) Put pressure on the tab.

2)Pull down on the cable. It will not release.

3) Stop pulling.

4) Release pressure on the tab.

5) Resume pulling without pressure on the tab. It should then release.

Yesterday I had to reprogram the proximity locks.

I had brought my JL into the dealer for service that seems to have flashed the computer, which cancelled out by Jscan, not GXD Sales Code, installed proximity locks--as we can expect will be the case for anyone in my situation.

So I had to follow the same procedure I iniitally did to program them--which was successful, and ran into your issues.

I think what is happening that's causing the problem you describe is that apply pressure on the tab, albeit a initially necessary step, may also throw it off center and make its extraction more difficult. Releasing pressure on the already pressed tab, with a straight down pull of the cable thereafter may allow for a more "squared" and smoother extraction.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Hi All:

Of course I may have missed it, and by no means am I the resident expert on this, but I have "been there and done that" FWIW.

I refer to connecting an ODB II device to the Security Gateway in the JL: a necessary part of getting the proximity hardware to work if you can't get "mother FCA" to put the "GXD" sales code into their database associated with your VIN.

It seems the visuals on this are sparse, so here goes:

1) Sitting in the driver's seat, on the left you can see the ODB II port below the steering wheel, as seen in the following picture:

Jeep Wrangler JL Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler IMG_3396.JPG

This is just a reference point. We will not be plugging anything in here for the purposes of configuring your JL for proximity locks.

2) Rather, it is behind this port, closer to the engine bay, behind the metal bar that appears in the above photo on which the ODB II port is attached, higher up (i.e. closer to the sky) that exists a port into which two cables are plugged in.

Jeep Wrangler JL Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler IMG_3393

Let's get our bearing on the above photo. It is taken with the camera's lens pointing to the sky, under the steering wheel, the top of the picture closer to the engine compartment. Those series of visible wires plug into the ODB II port, seen face on in the prior picture. The left right side of this photo is closer to the driver's side door.

3) It is necessary to detached the two cables that plug into the circled area (the Security Bypass Gateway I believe). To do so, there is a tab, you can see it in the above picture, which is closest to the engine compartment, on each cable. One cable at a time:

a) press the tab and pull down on the plug
b) expect the cable to not release, if so proceed
c) release pressure on the tab
d) grab the cable, rather than the plug, and gently pull straight down

Don't worry about forgetting which cable is which here: they are of different sizes

4) Here is a security bypass cable I purchased on Amazon:

Jeep Wrangler JL Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler IMG_3394.JPG

An AUGOCOM FCA 12+8 Universal Adapter Cable Adapter Compatible for Chrysler

To the right in the picture is an ODB II scanner connector compatible with the Jscan Software.

vgate iCar Pro Bluetooth 3.0 OBD2 Code Reader OBDII Scanner Scan Tool

Neither of these products are the end all be all ones to acquire. The list of ODB II scanners that work with the Jscan software are here:

Jscan supported and not supported scanners

5) Plug the ODB II scanner into the end of the Security Bypass cable with one port:

Jeep Wrangler JL Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler IMG_3395.JPG

6) Plug the two ports at the other into the two cables you freed in step 3.

7) Turn your JL "on." I.e. two presses of the start button without the brake depressed.

8) Follow @Etch's well written documentation above on how to program the JL with JScan.

9) Upon completion, turn off the rig, disconnect the two cables from the Security Bypass cable and plug them both back in where you found them, in the same orientation (tab closer to the engine bay.) I believe the larger one goes in closer to the driver's side door.

I hope this helps. :)

Last edited:

LA Kimball

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Thanks Andy for the write up. I struggled for 20 minutes getting those plugs out of the security bypass.

Received notice from BAM that my front door handles and harnesses have been shipped!! Almost done.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Is there a consolidated write up somewhere? I don't want to read 51 pages of replies to figure out exactly what parts I need and how to update the vehicle.

Sponsored

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
Is there a consolidated write up somewhere? I don't want to read 51 pages of replies to figure out exactly what parts I need and how to update the vehicle.
The parts needed should be the first post in this thread. For programming, you need a Jscan programmer, an OBD tool and a Chrysler security bypass. If you check out the Jscan website, it’ll tell you what you need to use it.

As for how to do the programming, @Etch made a post somewhere in here on how to program it.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
The parts:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...nstructions-parts-links-on-jl-wrangler.49241/

The technique:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...nks-on-jl-wrangler.49241/page-31#post-1152476

And least important (because it's mine), if you don't know how to hook up an ODB II scanner to a Security Bypass cable, to a JL:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...nks-on-jl-wrangler.49241/page-51#post-1182644

And of course there's Youtube video on this too, linked in the first link above.

There's more if your running a Sport S as it relates to hookups at the door connectors. You appear to own a Rubi.