Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Someone's bound to develop a hack where a small hole is drilled into an ordinary door cap, a small neodymium cylinder is inserted in, and the hole thereafter caulked up with black caulk as no one is the wiser.

...assuming that's the only difference between the regular and proximity handle door caps.....:)
Sponsored

Howard

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
First off, this is an amazing thread. I have been reading and re-reading for several hours. Before I order parts, Im just asking for clarity as my head is spinning a bit. I have a 2020 JL Sahara, do I need to order wiring harnesses or is all of that already in place on the Sahara? Thanks in advance not only for responding but also to everyone for all of the hard work put into this. Within an hour of having my vehicle I had regret I didnt get this option, so knowing I can get it done is exciting!

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
First off, this is an amazing thread. I have been reading and re-reading for several hours. Before I order parts, Im just asking for clarity as my head is spinning a bit. I have a 2020 JL Sahara, do I need to order wiring harnesses or is all of that already in place on the Sahara? Thanks in advance not only for responding but also to everyone for all of the hard work put into this. Within an hour of having my vehicle I had regret I didnt get this option, so knowing I can get it done is exciting!
You will need the door harness, handle and the cap. It is us Sport S Owners that have to do under dash wiring surgery.

Gregj

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
You probably don't have the right harnass. You can pull the door card and check the part number of the wiring harnass or look inside the inner panel to see if there is a pigtail to run to the handle.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You should be able to tell by looking for wires in the position noted in this picture. They are green with a yellow stripe and green with a white stripe in the door side of the harness.
B90BB505-225B-4684-8655-7611925B954E.jpeg

These two wires pulled up on the pick.
A4E9B23E-BDB4-4F08-84E8-2AF412BE41E9.jpeg

Gregj

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
If he is talking about the under dash wiring then the Saharas have them stanrard. If he is talking about the door harnass there has been a Rubicon that had full harnass but no others ones did. Unlikely they did put full door harnass in but one look will tell..

fonzie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL, & Gladiator
Well boys, rest of my parts came in and boom, all working! Shout out to everyone that helped!!! Momma is soooo happy!!!

Side note: I did not unbolt window just left it up and was able to route wires fine with big hands and all!

LA Kimball

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have the rear gate working. Waiting on my parts for the front doors. I do not have any change in my radio settings in regards to the proximity settings. My radio does not show the proximity settings after I ran the jscan update. Anybody else have this issue? Not sure if that will change once I get the front door hardware changed.

fonzie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL, & Gladiator
I have the rear gate working. Waiting on my parts for the front doors. I do not have any change in my radio settings in regards to the proximity settings. My radio does not show the proximity settings after I ran the jscan update. Anybody else have this issue? Not sure if that will change once I get the front door hardware changed.
Mine showed after installing the front doors!

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I installed them on my Wife's Rubi the setting didn't show up in the radio until the next day (8.4). They did work immediately though.

I changed the settings on the Sport and they showed up in the radio right away. (5 inch Uconnect 3).

Gregj

Sponsored

taholland

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Parts Manager
Well I finally got it done. Once my code was added I ordered that parts and installed them. Took it to Jeep and did a reflash and it works. The install took about an hour (2dr Rubicon). I will say it was more of a pain getting them to add the code. The service manager at the location I used was more than happy to do it at first. But once it got done, it turned out more of a pain that I think it was worth to him. He asked for me to hold off on letting people know where I had it done until he can get more clarification on moving forward. Now that he knows it works, he wants to do more. But only if FCA will cooperate easier. I told him Good Luck and thanks for getting my done. Best wishes everyone. Have a great 4th!!

Houston

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu
my 2018 sport s is working now. I just installed my rear door. it took me about 10 mins.
thanks everyone made this....

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I can understand that there may be reasons I don't know of why FCA Corporate applying the "GXD" sales codes to JL VINs might create issues in other areas--much as I question where.

But that said, this is a cash cow for dealers and FCA. Clearly, there are sales codes that dealers DO have the power to activate, so I have to think ability lies with Corporate to turn over control of this functionality to dealers, who then can profit for their time and parts, in applying the "GXD" code themselves, flashing the rig, and installing the necessary hardware.

If I could do it--and it wasn't hard, (thanks to those that showed me the way or it would have been impossible for me to do) requiring a few relatively inexpensive tools that I didn't already have, the JScan app, a JScan supported ODB II device and a security bypass cable, I have to think that thisis something that a entry level tech could do at the dealer for enough $ to earn the dealer profit, and at enough Corporate FCA controlled price to still incentivize people to get this feature when ordering or buying their rigs new from the dealer.

By taking the initiative FCA can control that, say, basic Sports can't get this, and that the procedure requires cable harness upgrades on sport S models. It is bound to be more lucrative to dealers that warranty work reimbursed by mother FCA, no?

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I can't see anyone adding this option by a dealer by paying $500+ for parts and $300 - $500 for labor.
Sponsored