Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler

YellowOrBust

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
IT WORKED! I'm so thankful to DE_Jeep, Etch, and JScan. They were all incredibly helpful.

I'll try to make my journey story short:
I had watched this thread from the beginning and finally got the courage to order the parts needed based on DE_Jeep's original post (I only ordered the driver door and rear door materials to save some money). I had to get a slightly different wiring harness but worked with the vendor to get one that would work. Installed all parts and spoke to a local dealer that was confident they could do it. All in all, two local dealerships tried and failed. I was at a loss. Decided it'd be a pain to tear out all the harnesses and handles and decided to leave it for the time being.

Got a PM from nerubi and started to watch the thread again. Etch and JScan are both the best! I ordered the OBD and bypass and tried it as soon as I got them in. But again, failure. I saw some guys say JScan was great to work with and I cannot support that statement enough. I reached out to them and got a response back the next day (they're based out of Europe so the time difference threw it off). They helped me determine my OBD was bad! Used Amazon to get a new one sent. It came in today and all of Etch's stepped worked perfectly! In 15 minutes I had working proximity handles!

Seriously one of the best threads and groups of posters I've gotten to be apart of. I'd be happy to help anyone in need of assistance. Definitely not an expert but I can help through any pains.
Sponsored

WranglerGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
The base Sport doesn't have a lot of things the S does. I don't know if it is equipped, just saying I don't remember if anyone did it. It was thought there wouldn't be a problem with the S until he discovered the issue.
Thanks. I do have a Sport S model. Any suggestions on trouble-shooting the tailgate handle? Are there other J-Scan settings I might try? I suppose there is a chance one of my new parts is faulty.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I do have a Sport S model. Any suggestions on trouble-shooting the tailgate handle? Are there other J-Scan settings I might try? I suppose there is a chance one of my new parts is faulty.
Sorry that I don’t recall if you already mentioned this or not. Did you already run the additional wires to the door harness plug in the front kick panels? Supposedly these are missing on the sport but present on the Sahara and Rubicon.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Moparpartsman had his tailgate working with standard parts and corporate code and others have with JScan. I don't know anything about JScan but if you followed the directions it is possible something with the parts but doesn't seem likely. The tailgate is pretty easy with the handle, cap and jumper. Did the jumper plug in easily and completely? If the screen shiws passive entry and the APs were set should work. PM Etch and run it by him.

WranglerGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
Sorry that I don’t recall if you already mentioned this or not. Did you already run the additional wires to the door harness plug in the front kick panels? Supposedly these are missing on the sport but present on the Sahara and Rubicon.
Thanks. I haven't done the side doors yet. I'm just trying to get the tailgate handle to work before I move on to those.

Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I haven't done the side doors yet. I'm just trying to get the tailgate handle to work before I move on to those.
I wasn’t sure if the rear still required those additional wires to be run for the tailgate to function. I’m not familiar with that as my rubicon didn’t require these added wires as the vehicle already has them. Just thought I’d help brainstorm.

Good luck

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I wasn’t sure if the rear still required those additional wires to be run for the tailgate to function. I’m not familiar with that as my rubicon didn’t require these added wires as the vehicle already has them. Just thought I’d help brainstorm.

Good luck
Are you saying you didn't add the tailgate jumper? Because it was already there? Wasn't on mine or the others I've heard so far.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Are you saying you didn't add the tailgate jumper? Because it was already there? Wasn't on mine or the others I've heard so far.
No, I’m talking about the wiring where guys have had to insert into the door harness plug (the one you unclip and remove when taking your doors off to go doorless).

Looking back in the thread, somewhere around post 193 it appears jlmoparman (or whatever his username is) was able to do the rear gate on his sport s without running these additional wires, but he did have to add them to get the front doors working.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Talking about this. Is it possible that @WranglerGuy Jeep is missing this wire that JLMOPARMAN did have on his Jeep (for the tailgate to RF hub)? It’s either that, or the programming isn’t working, the install at the tailgate went wrong, or the parts that were installed are faulty.

Jeep Wrangler JL Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler 043A1C34-9EAF-4B4B-9325-9803208F72D8

Derek

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2-Door
I have a Sport S and I did my tear gate 2 weeks ago. In JScan you need to set ‘passive entry present’ to active, ‘passive entry CMS -radio...’ to active, and I set ‘AP trunk lock’ and ‘AP trunk’ both to “CAN” and this worked for the rear gate for me, others have selected smart lock, I haven’t had a chance to play with the settings to see the difference. My front handle and wiring harness should arrive tomorrow, so I’ll update everyone if all the parts arrive.

Sponsored

Graceme123

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT S
I only needed the jumper wire, handle and handle cap for my rear gate to work. Well of course the programming also. I had mine programmed by my dealership. It took me a while before I wired up the missing wires for my front doors.

Good luck. If you have any questions I can try to help answer them.

Jeepinjack66

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Ok so if anyone is keeping track of successful stories.
I have a June build 2019 2 door JLR with factory remote start.
I had to purchase all 3 door harnesses, 3 prox handles and 3 caps even though i hear i didn't need to do that now for the caps. for 2 months, no dealer would help me with adding code... was notified last week about the post with jscan and odb... so i purchased odb scanner, security cable, and a license for jscan on my pixel 3 phone...followed instructions from forum but configured for 2 front and 1 trunk and within 10 min i had proximity. also this WILL NOT show up on your VIN doing it this way. not that I care but I just want to mention that.
there you have it. hope that answers some questions.

Again, HUGE thanks to all the people sharing their knowledge with getting this to work!

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Ok so if anyone is keeping track of successful stories.
I have a June build 2019 2 door JLR with factory remote start.
I had to purchase all 3 door harnesses, 3 prox handles and 3 caps even though i hear i didn't need to do that now for the caps. for 2 months, no dealer would help me with adding code... was notified last week about the post with jscan and odb... so i purchased odb scanner, security cable, and a license for jscan on my pixel 3 phone...followed instructions from forum but configured for 2 front and 1 trunk and within 10 min i had proximity. also this WILL NOT show up on your VIN doing it this way. not that I care but I just want to mention that.
there you have it. hope that answers some questions.

Again, HUGE thanks to all the people sharing their knowledge with getting this to work!
New caps are required for proximity.

Congrats after long wait.

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
Driver door done!!! Accidentally forgot to order the cap for the passenger side, so currently waiting on that.
Sponsored