Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler

llemoine11

First Name
Landry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sport S 2D
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you so much that makes this job much easier since I’m only looking to do my drivers door!
Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
It’s awesome this got figured out and that a vendor had such great support through the process.

Tazer failed on a 2018 vehicle. Any chance this new solution won’t work on a 2018?

I got to think Tazer and other programmers will add this as well.

I don’t have to worry about it as my dealer did get my sales code added, still curious and following though.

Etch

First Name
Parker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
It’s awesome this got figured out and that a vendor had such great support through the process.

Tazer failed on a 2018 vehicle. Any chance this new solution won’t work on a 2018?

I don’t have to worry about it as my dealer did get my sales code added, still curious and following though.
Unlikely this fails on a 2018. It's possible sure, but I highly doubt it. I doubt Tazer was looking in the right place for the solution based on what I read.

Sponsored

Derek

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2-Door

I have a 2018 (built in sept) and the rear gate handle worked for me after the last JScan update, But it looks like I’ll have to do some wiring for the front door.

tazer said that they were using an early 2018, so maybe there’s something different, but I doubt it.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I have a 2018 (built in sept) and the rear gate handle worked for me after the last JScan update, But it looks like I’ll have to do some wiring for the front door.

tazer said that they were using an early 2018, so maybe there’s something different, but I doubt it.
Hey Derek:

What trim level 2018 JL 2 door do you have (e.g. Sport/Rubicon)?

Thanks.

trainsafe

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0
Minor Update: it appears you CAN lock the door while another door is open. Not sure what went wrong here. Might have just taken a moment for the computer to take. Also, not sure if this is new with the upgrade or a standard feature... if you lock a door (from the door) while your keys are inside, then shut the door, it will honk and unlock. I didn't test this pre-install.

This is excessive but I wanted to know... if you get out, leave the driver door open, push the tailgate lock button with keyfob in hand, toss keys on the seat, then close the driver door. You will be locked out. It's a smart system, but not THAT smart. Just fun tips
this is consistent with how other manufacturers are programmed as well. My wife’s Chevy Suburban behaves the same way.

Deke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 6.7
Is there any chance that the connectors for these wires which need to be added to a SportS can be scavenged from the original door harness? I'm hoping to avoid buying and crimping connectors.

The drivers door I wrapped them down farther with my black cloth tape. They are the wires in the back circled in this picture.
Jeep Wrangler JL Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler 20200614_125822

Sponsored

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Excellent write-up, fortunately after at first buying a jeep without them pre-installed, I returned it after 2 hours and bought a different one that did have them... Doesn't make sense to me that you have to take the keyfob out to lock/unlock the vehicle since you can start the vehicle without touching the keyfob....

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Hi all:

I wait on an ODB scanner from "Santa Amazon" but have installed all the hardware--so the jury's still out regarding whether I will ultimately have success getting proximity locks to work, and if so, not just the tailgate but the front doors.

That said, there was some posts above related to whether earlier produced Saharas might have the wiring for the front doors.

I followed the procedure to determine this at this post above:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...nks-on-jl-wrangler.49241/page-13#post-1097529

I had pins 15 and 16 and my Sahara was produced in the February - March period of 2018, according to the sticker on the "B" pillar and consistent with this:

I'd think we'd agree that my JL Sahara, thus, is "pretty old" relatively speaking, and I have the pins.

Cheers.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all:

I wait on an ODB scanner from "Santa Amazon" but have installed all the hardware--so the jury's still out regarding whether I will ultimately have success getting proximity locks to work, and if so, not just the tailgate but the front doors.

That said, there was some posts above related to whether earlier produced Saharas might have the wiring for the front doors.

I followed the procedure to determine this at this post above:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...nks-on-jl-wrangler.49241/page-13#post-1097529

I had pins 15 and 16 and my Sahara was produced in the February - March period of 2018, according to the sticker on the "B" pillar and consistent with this:

I'd think we'd agree that my JL Sahara, thus, is "pretty old" relatively speaking, and I have the pins.

Cheers.
But you still put the wiring harnasses in the door, right?

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
But you still put the wiring harnasses in the door, right?
Correct Mike. I ordered two replacement wiring harnesses consistent with the posts at the top of this thread, and put them in each front door in replacement of the ones there, consistent with the part numbers and YouTube video instructions at the top of this thread.

I also added the jumper in the tailgate. I did my best to following instructions meticulously, and test that all functionality that was original there (power windows/mirrors, door locks/handles and manual door opening on the new handles and thingy at the end of the door handle that you replace X 3) remained after I was done.

Please let me know if this was stupid on my part.

It seemed like the first front door took 2 hours, while the second 2 minutes. : - )

Thanks.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Correct Mike. I ordered two replacement wiring harnesses consistent with the posts at the top of this thread, and put them in each front door in replacement of the ones there, consistent with the part numbers and YouTube video instructions at the top of this thread.

I also added the jumper in the tailgate. I did my best to following instructions meticulously, and test that all functionality that was original there (power windows/mirrors, door locks/handles and manual door opening on the new handles and thingy at the end of the door handle that you replace X 3) remained after I was done.

Please let me know if this was stupid on my part.

It seemed like the first front door took 2 hours, while the second 2 minutes. : - )

Thanks.
Sounds great now just have to see when Santa will deliver your OBDII and security bypass cable.
Took my time on the first front door also. Probably go back in and check the new handle pigtail to make sure it is out if the way still when the glass goes up and down whenever I put my doors back on.
Sponsored