Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler

Etch

First Name
Parker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
First and foremost, I want to give a massive shout out this community for being so open and willing to help each other out! Everyone who collaborated initially to get this working are the true ones to thank. Additionally, I want to give a massive thank you to the developer(s) of JScan. Their customer service has been phenomenal throughout this process especially in the wake of COVID-19. Download their software here: http://jscan.net/ Leave them a positive review on Google Play/Apple Store, share them on Facebook, and show your support. Companies like this deserve more praise than I can give them alone.

To get straight into installation, skip to the next post. If you're interested in the process leading to the solution, read below:

-After installing the hardware and enabling the 2 JScan settings, the radio retained the information. The hardware, however, would not function as intended. Running through the BCM Live Diagnostics, I read through each individual system. I noticed 6 settings, AP1 Front Left, AP2 Front Right, AP3 Rear Left, AP4 Rear Right, AP5 Trunk Lock, AP5 Trunk Unlock. Alone, "AP" doesn't mean anything to me. Associate it with Trunk Lock and suddenly it means a lot! If only the unlock feature didn't work, but the PHYSICAL lock button did, it would make sense that something is wrong with the RF/Keyfob unit. But even the hardware didn't work. My theory: The computer is being told that Passive Entry is installed, the radio is being told that Passive Entry is installed, the rest of the systems involved aren't getting the message. Normally these would be included at the dealer defined as code "GXD". We, the peasants, have to manually turn them on. Speaking with the JScan Developer, I asked if he could identify these systems from the coding "backend". He said they could be enabled and had several settings (Smart Switch, Simple Switch, CAN, Not Present). He pushed another update to me to test out. Long story short, suspicion confirmed. Enabling AP1-5 sends the message to the rest of the system to scan for keyfobs in range and monitor handle sensors. Passive Entry is installed and working (at least for the tailgate, parts for the other doors on order). Dealerships are no longer necessary for us to do this.

Last edited:

Etch

First Name
Parker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For ease of use, and for users reading this thread for the first time, I've compiled useful instructions that I have had to follow.

1) Hardware Install - Refer to post #1 on this thread for parts, videos, instructions and demonstrations. Bonus - @JeepRumbler has a Video for installing the door harness.

2) Wiring Verification - Refer to post #193 on this thread to verify you have the proper wiring, or add it if you don't. Post #216 has one possible solution for adding it using a weatherpack. To do it factory style, you will need TERM114 Connectors and TERM42C Connectors. Gauge of wiring unknown. Someone please chime in here.

3) Software Preparation - Download the JScan App for your preferred device. You will also need a bluetooth adapter in order to interface with your Jeep's computer. A compatible list of adapters can be found here. The current Jeep generation also requires a security bypass cable in order to interface. I went with this. For your first time connecting, this video can be helpful.
Note: You need the most updated version of JScan in order for this to work. For Android, the update was posted today (13JUN2020). iOS should be posted by Monday (15JUN2020) according to the developer. You will also need to purchase a license assigned to your VIN in order to use JScan (~$23).

4) Software Installation - Follow the previous steps to connect OB2 Adapter > Security Bypass Cable > Jeep Interface. Open JScan, Navigate to your vehicle, connect to the Bluetooth Adapter within the App. Once inside you should see:
Jeep Wrangler JL Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler JScan Dash

Go to adaptation ->
Jeep Wrangler JL Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler JScan Adaptation Tab

These 2 settings are what you want.

Note: Passive Entry as a standalone option tree is a new feature of the updated app version. Previously, it was located under the Modules Configuration Tab. If you do not see Passive Entry as a standalone *YOU CAN NOT MAKE THE CHANGES REQUIRED*

Navigate to "Passive Entry Settings"
Jeep Wrangler JL Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler JScan Passive Entry

Change the Settings in the order shown.
1) Passive Entry Present On/Off > Active
2) AP1 Left Front > Smart Switch
3) AP2 Right Front > Smart Switch
4) AP3 Left Rear > Smart Switch
5) AP4 Right Rear > Smart Switch
6) AP5 Trunk > Smart Switch

This should program your computer that "Passive Entry" has been installed, as well as activating the Antennas to monitor for the Keyfob. At a dealership this would be defined as "GXD". For us, we must use the long method and do it systematically.

Note: Your results may vary. These are the Settings I used and it worked. "AP5 Trunk Lock" seems redundant and has no effect on the overall function. It may be used for Gladiators. Feel free to play with the "Switch" Settings and see if they make a difference at all.

Back out 1 tab, and navigate to "Radio User Settings"
Jeep Wrangler JL Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler JScan Radio Settings

Scroll to Passive Entry On/Off > Active

Once complete, your system should be up and running. Get out and test your Lock Button/Handle. Your Keyfob must be near the door being used in order to cycle properly. I've also noticed that having a door open will prevent the Lock Button from actually locking the vehicle. These may be glitches, but not having a factory model to test with, I can't come to a conclusion. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
..and for us IOS users, please ask Jscan to write the code that Parker @Etch had Jscan do for Android users!!!

Parker, this is awesome news!!!

Sponsored

jlgunner2

First Name
Karyl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
So just download the app and it should work?!

WranglerGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
First and foremost, I want to give a massive shout out this community for being so open and willing to help each other out! Everyone who collaborated initially to get this working are the true ones to thank. Additionally, I want to give a massive thank you to the developer(s) of JScan. Their customer service has been phenomenal throughout this process especially in the wake of COVID-19. Download their software here: http://jscan.net/ Leave them a positive review on Google Play/Apple Store, share them on Facebook, and show your support. Companies like this deserve more praise than I can give them alone.

To get straight into installation, skip to the next post. If you're interested in the process leading to the solution, read below:

-After installing the hardware and enabling the 2 JScan settings, the radio retained the information. The hardware, however, would not function as intended. Running through the BCM Live Diagnostics, I read through each individual system. I noticed 6 settings, AP1 Front Left, AP2 Front Right, AP3 Rear Left, AP4 Rear Right, AP5 Trunk Lock, AP5 Trunk Unlock. Alone, "AP" doesn't mean anything to me. Associate it with Trunk Lock and suddenly it means a lot! If only the unlock feature didn't work, but the PHYSICAL lock button did, it would make sense that something is wrong with the RF/Keyfob unit. But even the hardware didn't work. My theory: The computer is being told that Passive Entry is installed, the radio is being told that Passive Entry is installed, the rest of the systems involved aren't getting the message. Normally these would be included at the dealer defined as code "GXD". We, the peasants, have to manually turn them on. Speaking with the JScan Developer, I asked if he could identify these systems from the coding "backend". He said they could be enabled and had several settings (Smart Switch, Simple Switch, CAN, Not Present). He pushed another update to me to test out. Long story short, suspicion confirmed. Enabling AP1-5 sends the message to the rest of the system to scan for keyfobs in range and monitor handle sensors. Passive Entry is installed and working (at least for the tailgate, parts for the other doors on order). Dealerships are no longer necessary for us to do this.
This is beyond fantastic! I am immediately ordering the parts. Thank you!

Derek

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2-Door
I can confirm that this does work on a 09/2018 Sport S. I selected CANS, don’t know if it’s right but it works!!! Thanks @Etch for working with the developer and figuring this out.

Sponsored

jlgunner2

First Name
Karyl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Can someone post a video I’m not following

Etch

First Name
Parker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FINALLY SO GOOD NEWS!
Yesterday felt like a complete failure to me. Parts didn't work, license plate cover didn't fit, DMV being a PITA, cleaned up dog vomit. I needed a win after all this. I think having some mild computer programming experience myself helped reach this conclusion.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
On my factory programmed Jeep I have the doors off and can lock the tailgate. Guessing when you unhook the door wiring harnass to take the door off it tells the computer to pretend it is there.
Sponsored