Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
This might might be one of those Mods that’s more trouble than it’s worth for me. Didn’t order it in the first place because people were and still are complaining about it not working properly. I periodically takeoff the doors for extended periods which makes the proximity worthless. Also less complicated and simpler seemed better for the long term when I was ordering. Now this hassle with the dealer. I hate going to the dealer. LOL.
just thinking out loud.
Sponsored

Jeepinjack66

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT
This might might be one of those Mods that’s more trouble than it’s worth for me. Didn’t order it in the first place because people were and still are complaining about it not working properly. I periodically takeoff the doors for extended periods which makes the proximity worthless. Also less complicated and simpler seemed better for the long term when I was ordering. Now this hassle with the dealer. I hate going to the dealer. LOL.
just thinking out loud.
I hate going to the dealer as well and as far as the challenge, I want that for some sick reason. I like a challenge. And even better if I succeed I get a cool feature in return.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'm also very bored, trying to find things to do until covid is over and I can start my new temporary job. Got everything done I could do on my VW and have been back working on the Jeep again. This project, which I hope to have done in a week or so, only leaves me with tearing out the center stack of controls and painting all the silver and chrome pieces black (I hate chrome especially in a black dash). Then paint the inside door handles.

Then I guess I need to order a 2021 and start all over again. Maybe with proximity from the factory.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Thanks for taking a swing at this as an insider and giving us that insight. I also had no problems only having one handle installed on my Gladiator that I did. I specifically waited to add the parts on the passenger side until after I had the code added so that I could see if this was viable for the people who only want to spend the money and effort for the door they use. The JLU had to have them all from the start (it's the wife's and is not up for experimentation.)

Edit: In order to keep from making this thread longer I will throw my findings on this post as well. While we confirmed that the option won't add to your build sheet when using the website earlier in the thread. If you go to this website https://www.mopar.com/jeep/en-us.html log-in with your vehicle (this was sent to me when I bought it), click the vehicle equipment quick link, and then dealer installed, it will tell you if the dealer has successfully added the sales code or not before you get the equipment. The image of what I see is attached.

Annotation 2020-04-18 164601.png
Hi Alex:

Do you have any idea if this Proximity Upgrade appears on the dealer installed link simple when corporate adds the GXD sales code, or does the dealer also need, once it's added by corporate, to do a reconfig on the VIN/rig before it shows up at this link?

My service manager is waiting on someone in Corporate to do this GXD sales code add for me on my behalf and I'm looking to see if there's a way that I can tell, at my end, if it's been done, even before I bring the rig into the dealer for a reconfig.

Thanks.

JeepRumbler

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S, 2020 Gladiator Max Tow
Hi Alex:

Do you have any idea if this Proximity Upgrade appears on the dealer installed link simple when corporate adds the GXD sales code, or does the dealer also need, once it's added by corporate, to do a reconfig on the VIN/rig before it shows up at this link?

My service manager is waiting on someone in Corporate to do this GXD sales code add for me on my behalf and I'm looking to see if there's a way that I can tell, at my end, if it's been done, even before I bring the rig into the dealer for a reconfig.

Thanks.
Andy,

I'm not sure whether it pops up when corporate adds it, or when the dealer actually flashes your computer. My gut would tell me that it happens when corporate adds it.

Also, I have been running into the same issue as JLMOPARMAN on a Sport that didn't have the right harness. For the JLU and Gladiator I already did, I think it might have been related to the 8.4 radio or remote start, but I'm not 100% certain what triggered the right harness. I'm working on trying to figure out how to get the doors to talk to the RF Module. The rear swing gate works perfectly, but even jumping the front door harness straight to the RF Module I haven't had any luck with the front. I want to try adding the Remote Start RF module to his Sport to see if it works, but it's not really a feature he wants. Not sure where this leaves us on the Sports without the appropriate harness unless someone can figure it out.

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Good news! I made a jumper harness with a weatherpack connection so I can still take my doors off, wired it all in and it works!!
51AC7DD5-48A4-46CF-8A6E-B5DF443564DA.jpeg
7F8701BC-59C7-4E4B-942A-AC3BC0680E9C.jpeg
Did it take much effort to do it or fairly easy fix for the Sports?

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Good news! I made a jumper harness with a weatherpack connection so I can still take my doors off, wired it all in and it works!!
51AC7DD5-48A4-46CF-8A6E-B5DF443564DA.jpeg
7F8701BC-59C7-4E4B-942A-AC3BC0680E9C.jpeg
Jason...only if you have time, can you tell us more about this "weatherpack" connection that you speak of?

(I think I won't be effected by your challenges because I have a Sahara, a.k.a. a JL that could have come with proximity locks as a option as opposed to your Sport S....maybe that's wrong.)

(Not passing judgement on rigs. The driver makes the rig, not the other way around.)

JLMOPARMAN

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon
Did it take much effort to do it or fairly easy fix for the Sports?
That’s a relative question. Really depends on your skill level. This was easy for me, give it to my dad to do and he’d rather jump off of a tall building.

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
That’s a relative question. Really depends on your skill level. This was easy for me, give it to my dad to do and he’d rather jump off of a tall building.
Hey, hey, hey! Are you saying us old people get confused doing that sparky electrical stuff or that you need to be a contortionist to get up under the dash?:(

JLMOPARMAN

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon
B6581BE2-E51F-4B99-8CAE-2CB6BF13699E.jpeg
Hey, hey, hey! Are you saying us old people get confused doing that sparky electrical stuff or that you need to be a contortionist to get up under the dash?:(
Contortionist yes, I actually removed the drivers seat so I could lay in there.

I will expand a little more. I had to run wires from one side of the dash to the other, if you are comfortable taking your dash apart it was really easy.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
B6581BE2-E51F-4B99-8CAE-2CB6BF13699E.jpeg

Contortionist yes, I actually removed the drivers seat so I could lay in there.

I will expand a little more. I had to run wires from one side of the dash to the other, if you are comfortable taking your dash apart it was really easy.
You really put a lot into your day off.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Question to the masses:

Did anyone follow @DE_Jeep's Jeff's link from the first post of this thread, order from Moparoneonline, and have their order questioned as not matching their VIN?

Unfortunately I have no phone number to call this outfit on, so our communication has been only through email. I wonder, although I have since explained this to this firm, if the order is getting kicked out of their system (as they've informed me) because, as they seek to compare my VIN (that I provided them with) to my order, that they are noticing that my 2018 Sahara JL, without factory proximity locks, doesn't match the proximity lock hardware upgrades I seek to order from them.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Sponsored