Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler

JLMOPARMAN

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon
Hey Jason:

I know I speak for at least a bunch of us when I say thank you for sharing your insights as someone with in dealership knowledge of the specifics of after sale proximity lock upgrades to the JL.

This said, would you mind commenting on just how much your having the sales code added for your VIN, and thereafter reconfiguring your VIN negatively affected your rig given that the entirety of proximity lock hardware had not yet been installed?

I mean to say, does the rig still run, and if so, what kind of errors are you seeing the rig throw and when?

You see, and where I am going with this line of questioning sir is that some of us are interested in the negative implications, if any, of having the dealer do their share of the upgrade (i.e. getting FCA Corporate to add the sales code and then the dealer reconfiguring the rig) before our installation of the proximity hardware.

It's not that we're lazy as owners, so much as the parts we've ordered take a while to arrive, or we may not wish to order them before securing the changes that FCA corporate and the dealer must do for us, and still more, if a dealer is willing to do this for us, our flexibility with when it's done, including before our owner installation of the hardware, may better increase the chances that that overall project gets done.

So were their terrible downsides to the order you did things with, and do you think you'll need a second reconfiguration of your rig after you get to installing the proximity hardware?

Many thanks sir. :)

Yeah, I wanted to be the guinea pig on this as I saw it earlier in the thread. Other than all of the background codes for missing handles, on my drive home last night I noticed no other issues. I don’t see this having any negative impact on the Jeep until the handles are installed, I’m sure they took into account what would happen if a handle failed or something like a broken wire not making the vehicle inoperative just because of a convenience feature.
Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Yeah, I wanted to be the guinea pig on this as I saw it earlier in the thread. Other than all of the background codes for missing handles, on my drive home last night I noticed no other issues. I don’t see this having any negative impact on the Jeep until the handles are installed, I’m sure they took into account what would happen if a handle failed or something like a broken wire not making the vehicle inoperative just because of a convenience feature.
Thanks not only for your thoughts Jason:), but your willingness to "stick you foot in the cold deep water first" to our benefit.

JLMOPARMAN

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon
I respect this. Thanks. But that said, FCA's, in theory based on your rationale, business decision to not make a company wide official upgrade kit, while their right, seems to me a bit unfair to sight as a reason for why they won't officially sanction the sales code addition, even if many dealers are capable of getting it done.

In short, it seems FCA's line here is: we choose not to allow dealership addition of the sales code because we, FCA, choose not to provide an official upgrade kit.

I completely hear you on the profitability thing. FCA and dealers have a right to not enter into businesses that seem unlikely to turn fair profit. But that said, many on the forum have uniquely expressed interest in this upgrade above and beyond many others.
That’s a gross oversimplification of a complex problem. To release a kit or even make that sales code available they have to be 110% sure there are no interference issues. If the engineers found an issue adding it with a vehicle that has code XXX they won’t make it available. Safety regulations are another. I can seriously go on for a half hour... Like I said before, this ain’t the place for it.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
That’s a gross oversimplification of a complex problem. To release a kit or even make that sales code available they have to be 110% sure there are no interference issues. If the engineers found an issue adding it with a vehicle that has code XXX they won’t make it available. Safety regulations are another. I can seriously go on for a half hour... Like I said before, this ain’t the place for it.
That's fair Jason. The scope of who can successfully upgrade, how, and the liability exposure, just to name a few variables play into the mix. Then there's bad will if such upgrades don't work on the rigs FCA blesses them for.

It's one thing if someone mods a rig on their own unknown to FCA, who is likely off the hook for the modifier's assumed risk from those changes. It's another thing when FCA has to flip the sales code switch, or put it in other's hands (the dealer or owner) and risk that they may screw things up, cause damages, injury or both, and name FCA in a law suit.

That said, FCA promises to address this (thanks Hunter @jeepster345) so we can see what they say:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...tal-livestream-roundtable.49622/#post-1093319

Thanks for your thoughts Jason.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
For Rubicons my understand

This number is listed as left door mirror jumper. The left door wiring harnass for non-keyless proximity is 68325452AE without blind spot or cross traffic which is what mine would be (I'll find out tomorrow after it warms up here).
Just pulled mine (2019 Rubicon Jan 2019 build) and it is the 68325452AE harnass I have and not the 68325454AE harnass I need.

Sponsored

JeepRumbler

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S, 2020 Gladiator Max Tow
Thanks for taking a swing at this as an insider and giving us that insight. I also had no problems only having one handle installed on my Gladiator that I did. I specifically waited to add the parts on the passenger side until after I had the code added so that I could see if this was viable for the people who only want to spend the money and effort for the door they use. The JLU had to have them all from the start (it's the wife's and is not up for experimentation.)

Edit: In order to keep from making this thread longer I will throw my findings on this post as well. While we confirmed that the option won't add to your build sheet when using the website earlier in the thread. If you go to this website https://www.mopar.com/jeep/en-us.html log-in with your vehicle (this was sent to me when I bought it), click the vehicle equipment quick link, and then dealer installed, it will tell you if the dealer has successfully added the sales code or not before you get the equipment. The image of what I see is attached.

Annotation 2020-04-18 164601.png

Last edited:

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
Thanks for taking a swing at this as an insider and giving us that insight. I also had no problems only having one handle installed on my Gladiator that I did. I specifically waited to add the parts on the passenger side until after I had the code added so that I could see if this was viable for the people who only want to spend the money and effort for the door they use. The JLU had to have them all from the start (it's the wife's and is not up for experimentation.)

Edit: In order to keep from making this thread longer I will throw my findings on this post as well. While we confirmed that the option won't add to your build sheet when using the website earlier in the thread. If you go to this website https://www.mopar.com/jeep/en-us.html log-in with your vehicle (this was sent to me when I bought it), click the vehicle equipment quick link, and then dealer installed, it will tell you if the dealer has successfully added the sales code or not before you get the equipment. The image of what I see is attached.

Annotation 2020-04-18 164601.png
This makes it sound like FCA intends or at one point intended to allow dealers to do this. Otherwise, it would be in another section of the equipment or wouldn't show up at all.

JLMOPARMAN

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon
This makes it sound like FCA intends or at one point intended to allow dealers to do this. Otherwise, it would be in another section of the equipment or wouldn't show up at all.
Nah, any time they add a code that is otherwise a factory option for the particular model this is where it goes. Keeps the sales code from mudding the water in StarParts and for the service side when trying to diagnose or for warranty concerns. The factory configuration never changes.

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So I only had all of the parts today to do just the swing gate. All parts installed and it worked as soon as I plugged it in. So at least I can put my groceries in the back without taking my keys out. :LOL:
Great, glad it worked. I think I will go into my dealer as soon as I can, maybe Tuesday or Wednesday, and order the front door and tailgate handles and wiring as soon as I can and wait for the passenger side. I like controlling who can ride shotgun.

Last edited:

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Jason: with one of your proximity handles completed, but not yet all, are you still getting these "background codes?"

(Rephrase: At least from your sample size of 1, does it seem like we can get away with not installing all 3 proximity handle and not generating codes?)

Thanks.

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
So maybe have some good news. I bought the Jscan programmer just to see if I could get the passive entry to work. I tried it, and looked in my settings to see if it worked or not. The first day it didn’t. I left it sitting for two days and now it appears in my settings. When I press it, it doesn’t hold the setting, so whether it actually works or not, I don’t know. I haven’t ordered the handles and wiring, to try it.

image.jpg

JLMOPARMAN

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon
Jason: with one of your proximity handles completed, but not yet all, are you still getting these "background codes?"

(Rephrase: At least from your sample size of 1, does it seem like we can get away with not installing all 3 proximity handle and not generating codes?)

Thanks.
Yeah, as I’ve added handles the code for that handle will go away. I added the rear handle, cleared codes and just the 2 front handle codes (the missing handles) came back. So whatever handle is missing, you will have a code for that one.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
So maybe have some good news. I bought the Jscan programmer just to see if I could get the passive entry to work. I tried it, and looked in my settings to see if it worked or not. The first day it didn’t. I left it sitting for two days and now it appears in my settings. When I press it, it doesn’t hold the setting, so whether it actually works or not, I don’t know. I haven’t ordered the handles and wiring, to try it.

image.jpg
Man Hunter, I hope it does work. But my gut tells me that it's going to be a bit like a dealer doing a reconfig to add proximity locks, but corporate not added the sales code, and it not working.

Lord knows I hope I'm wrong. Thanks for sharing.
Sponsored