Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Question... and this might be an obvious one but im just going to ask and toss it out there.

say one installs all the harnesses and parts to have proximity set up as instructed, will all work as before with new parts? the only piece would be the recoding to make prox work...Am i correct? Im thinking of just installing it all and hope someday some dealer will recode at some point.
thoughts on this impulsive move?
Hey Lisa:

I had the same exact question, which was answered yes. :)

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...inks-on-jl-wrangler.49241/page-5#post-1088656
Sponsored

Jeepinjack66

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Just spoke with my service advisor and parts advisor and they have been following this thread. The parts guy is getting his parts in tomorrow and going to try the install and sales code entry over the next few days and call me back next week. He has a Sport so he has to get the wiring harnasses but I asked him if my Rubicon already had the correct wiring harnass in place as someone else reported. He said according to my vin it doesn't appear so. He said there should be a tag on the harnass that I can see after removing the outer door card to verify to see if I have to order them or not.

I wonder if
Hey Lisa:

I had the same exact question, which was answered yes. :)

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...inks-on-jl-wrangler.49241/page-5#post-1088656
Awesome! thank you!!

Jeepinjack66

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I have a digital bore scope that has led lights that I can insert into the door handle hole after I remove the handle, do you think I’d be able to see if the harness had the plug through this method?
Dan:

I may be "late to the party" on this one, you having already done this or got an answer, but as cool as a digital bore scope is, it seems that visual access may not be that hard given this awesome recently linked video, and that such a tool may not be needed here:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...inks-on-jl-wrangler.49241/page-7#post-1091860

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
As I reflect on this upgrade I see irony.

On the one hand, the free time COVID-19 has given me offers the ideal time to tackle this project.

On the other hand, with my 401K having about enough left in it to buy a "peanut butter sandwich" should I really be allocating parts and dealers service funds towards it?!

Fortunately, I'm not of the age (or now, thank you COVID-19, the ability) to throw in the employment towel and retire so soon!!

YOLO. Besides, those proximity locks will come in handy for the 3/4 mile I'm driving my rig once every two weeks right now to the supermarket for food!;)

Sponsored

Jeepinjack66

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT
As I reflect on this upgrade I see irony.

On the one hand, the free time COVID-19 has given me offers the ideal time to tackle this project.

On the other hand, with my 401K having about enough left in it to buy a "peanut butter sandwich" should I really be allocating parts and dealers service funds towards it?!

Fortunately, I'm not of the age (or now, thank you COVID-19, the ability) to throw in the employment towel and retire so soon!!

YOLO. Besides, those proximity locks will come in handy for the 3/4 mile I'm driving my rig once every two weeks right now to the supermarket for food!;)[/QUOTE,]

401K :crying::crying::crying:

JeepRumbler

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S, 2020 Gladiator Max Tow
Question... and this might be an obvious one but im just going to ask and toss it out there.

say one installs all the harnesses and parts to have proximity set up as instructed, will all work as before with new parts? the only piece would be the recoding to make prox work...Am i correct? Im thinking of just installing it all and hope someday some dealer will recode at some point.
thoughts on this impulsive move?
Everything works in the meantime with no codes or anything. I had the hardware on for over a week on the JLU before we got the code added.

Jeepinjack66

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Everything works in the meantime with no codes or anything. I had the hardware on for over a week on the JLU before we got the code added.
thank you! and thank you so much for the video. I appreciate your help!

JeepRumbler

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S, 2020 Gladiator Max Tow
thank you! and thank you so much for the video. I appreciate you help!
No worries. Lots of free time right now "working from home." were it not for @DE_Jeep getting this done before, and giving me some PM advice I wouldn't have been able to get it done.

As an aside, I checked my build sheet online now that the dealer has added the code, and it didn't retroactively add to my build sheet. I am also getting one from Jeep Cares, so I'll see if it's updated that way. I'm thinking that the option code might be 100% inward-facing to their system, though.

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
For those wondering, I just checked my 18 Sahara, and it didn't have the correct wiring harness.

Sponsored

Jeepinjack66

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT
For those wondering, I just checked my 18 Sahara, and it didn't have the correct wiring harness.
Did you see a part number soon on removing card? or did you look for the extra pig tail? wondering how far on the removal part did you figure it out

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
Did you see a part number soon on removing card? or did you look for the extra pig tail? wondering how far on the removal part did you figure it out
I tried looking for the pigtail, but couldn't find it. I checked the part number of the correct harness and it didn't match mine.

All I did was take off the door panel. I didn't remove anything else.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Thanks for this Hunter.

...one more reason I best open up the door cards to see what harness I have before making my order: given I own the same year and model JL.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I'd like to ask a previous question in reverse. The previous question was if installing these proximity parts limits functionality compared to before the install, until the GXD sales code is added and the rig reconfigured by a dealer (it is reported to not do so, but of course proximity lock specific functionality isn't available until the sales coded is added by corporate on dealer request, and the dealer configures the rig.)

The current question is: If I have opportunity for the dealer to get corporate to add the GXD sales code and reconfigure the rig before I've installed the new proximity door hardware/harnesses parts, etc. would this be a problem?

In other words need there be a specific order to these two steps or is it simply that both (1) dealer has corporate add sales code and then dealer reconfigures, 2) I install new door handles/harnesses, etc. need to both happen in either order, or must parts come first?

Thanks.
Sponsored