Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler

Jeepinjack66

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Request a build sheet fro Jeep cares (seemingly the only thing they will do for you) and see if the option GXD is on your build sheet. If the dealer got Chrysler to add it then it will show up regardless of whether your Jeep would take the option code. I’m betting it isn’t going to be on the build sheet.
I don't see that or any code on my build for that matter. i see other codes from my POC from the dealer when I special ordered. but not that one because i was dumb and didnt order proximity
Sponsored

JeepRumbler

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S, 2020 Gladiator Max Tow
great video and did you went to dealer to add code?

thanks
Thank you. I did have the dealer add the code. That saga is documented in my earlier post on this thread.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
While I respect his option to do this, I wonder how his GM/owner feels about his stance on this.

As someone who employs a lot of people (many of them mechanics and shop foremen) I would fire or reposition anyone who turns down opportunities for additional revenue. A better approach would have been to have terms around what it takes to get his service/help.

For example, he could say, you must buy the parts from my dealership, I charge $110 hour spent working on it with a 2 hour minimum, any call to coordinate with your dealer I will charge at the aforementioned rate, etc.

‘Not worth it for a million bucks” is a comment I hear far too often from employees not able to see the bigger picture and from those that don’t have their personal pocketbook on the line.

Just my $0.02.
Short term greed should never override sensible long term relationships or strategy! If the risk isn't worth the reward....well sometimes it's worth walking away from.

Just my $.03

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Short term greed should never override sensible long term relationships or strategy! If the risk isn't worth the reward....well sometimes it's worth walking away from.

Just my $.03
My opinion is you can have both. Not the greed part though. I said nothing of greed.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Couple of questions for those that have been successful - the new pigtail harnass for the tailgate, does it hook up to the original harnass plugs plus the new pigtail to the bottom of the new handle?

At least one 2019 Rubicon owner has confirmed that they already had the correct front door wiring harness in place. Is there a part number tag on the harnass that I can see once I pull the outer door panel? I don't want to order the new harnass if it is already in place and I don't want to remove the inner panel before I have the new harnass if needed.

Thanks everyone for working on this.

Last edited:

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just spoke with my service advisor and parts advisor and they have been following this thread. The parts guy is getting his parts in tomorrow and going to try the install and sales code entry over the next few days and call me back next week. He has a Sport so he has to get the wiring harnasses but I asked him if my Rubicon already had the correct wiring harnass in place as someone else reported. He said according to my vin it doesn't appear so. He said there should be a tag on the harnass that I can see after removing the outer door card to verify to see if I have to order them or not.

JeepRumbler

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just spoke with my service advisor and parts advisor and they have been following this thread. The parts guy is getting his parts in tomorrow and going to try the install and sales code entry over the next few days and call me back next week. He has a Sport so he has to get the wiring harnasses but I asked him if my Rubicon already had the correct wiring harnass in place as someone else reported. He said according to my vin it doesn't appear so. He said there should be a tag on the harnass that I can see after removing the outer door card to verify to see if I have to order them or not.
All of my old harnesses were tagged. If they don't have the part number, it will have the extra long pigtail not attached to anything inside.

Inside the tailgate it completely replaces the old harness and adds the new pigtail on as well.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Update. This will work in the Sport S, and it will work with only one handle installed. I am driving home now and will video the install from the passenger side.
Great job and thanks for doing this. Did you have any error lights show up on your dash before you added the last handle?

YellowOrBust

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Request a build sheet fro Jeep cares (seemingly the only thing they will do for you) and see if the option GXD is on your build sheet. If the dealer got Chrysler to add it then it will show up regardless of whether your Jeep would take the option code. I’m betting it isn’t going to be on the build sheet.
Looks like you're correct. I don't see "GDX" or anything pertaining to proximity locks on my build sheet. That's unfortunate.

I plan on calling my dealer and discuss more options, if there are any. He seemed willing to help if he was able to.

JeepRumbler

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great job and thanks for doing this. Did you have any error lights show up on your dash before you added the last handle?
No error lights or anything on it with only one handle. I specifically waited to add the second handle so that I could try it out in this configuration too.

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Scenario then Question:

I reached out (by email, given COVID-19) to a nearby dealer...different than the high volume/discount Koons dealership in Vienna, VA many here are familiar with that I purchased my 2018 Sahara JL from, to see if they could facilitate adding of the GXD sales code to my Sahara for me--of course for a fee I'd pay.

The email I received back from this local dealer was less than promising. Maybe I'll have better face to face luck with the service manager, especially if I make it worth his and the dealership's while. ;)

But that said, here's my question:

In theory, could I reach out to Koons, who FCA pays attention to given their size/sales, and have them persuade FCA to add the GXD sales code--making it worth Koons time ($), and then, with said code added, have a separate and local dealer "flash" the rig to "integrate" the GXD code into the rig (again for a reasonable fee?)

..Or does the whole "shabang," from corporate adding the GXD sales code to the dealer integrating it into the VIN need to be done at one dealer?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I don't see that or any code on my build for that matter. i see other codes from my POC from the dealer when I special ordered. but not that one because i was dumb and didnt order proximity
Lisa, @Dmentd_Dan :

Would the information on the build sheet that was suggested be secured from a dealer not also be available at the links of this post, simply by adding one's VIN to the end of the two separate web links in this post?

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...et-order-tracking.12503/page-283#post-1009700

It seems that I got it to work. :)

Jeepinjack66

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Lisa, @Dmentd_Dan :

Would the information on the build sheet that was suggested be secured from a dealer not also be available at the links of this post, simply by adding one's VIN to the end of the two separate web links in this post?

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...et-order-tracking.12503/page-283#post-1009700

It seems that I got it to work. :)

That's cool those links..thanks for that and yes I have that build sheet already.. no code...guess ill just rip the door apart and check out my harness to see if the extra pigtail exists.

Jeepinjack66

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Question... and this might be an obvious one but im just going to ask and toss it out there.

say one installs all the harnesses and parts to have proximity set up as instructed, will all work as before with new parts? the only piece would be the recoding to make prox work...Am i correct? Im thinking of just installing it all and hope someday some dealer will recode at some point.
thoughts on this impulsive move?

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler