Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler

Dmentd_Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Everyone,

The service manager has declined wanting the dealership name to be broadcast for a couple reasons:........

So sorry to not be able to help more but have to respect their wishes as they look after me well.
Totally understandable, thanks for your efforts!
Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Everyone,

The service manager has declined wanting the dealership name to be broadcast for a couple reasons:

1) The primary goal is to provide customers who have bought vehicles from them a high level of service to bring repeat business. By taking on "remote" customers they are not building relationships that are likely to lead to follow on business for the dealership.

2) The secondary goal is to ensure parts sales to justify being able to have significant stock in house. He gave a blast to the online Mopar parts warehouses that discount as they don't need to support a full service dealerships overhead.

3) They have contacts inside FCA that they count on to assist when needed but these are constrained resources. By taking on remote customers that put load on those contacts (to add the option codes) means eventually they are in a position they can't help the customers in #1.

4) Lastly if the vehicle is not in their shop they can not complete the firmware reload to ensure the code was properly added. So they get into a position being stuck between vehicle owner, FCA, and the other dealership doing the firmware reload. "Not worth it for a million bucks" was his comment.

Some suggestions:

- Find a good full service dealership to buy your Jeep.
- Get your sales person to introduce you to the service manager/advisor if not done so (mine did this as part of the delivery process).
- Build a relationship with the service team. A little friendliness goes a long ways. "We also like donuts" was his comment.

So sorry to not be able to help more but have to respect their wishes as they look after me well.
While I respect his option to do this, I wonder how his GM/owner feels about his stance on this.

As someone who employs a lot of people (many of them mechanics and shop foremen) I would fire or reposition anyone who turns down opportunities for additional revenue. A better approach would have been to have terms around what it takes to get his service/help.

For example, he could say, you must buy the parts from my dealership, I charge $110 hour spent working on it with a 2 hour minimum, any call to coordinate with your dealer I will charge at the aforementioned rate, etc.

ā€˜Not worth it for a million bucksā€ is a comment I hear far too often from employees not able to see the bigger picture and from those that donā€™t have their personal pocketbook on the line.

Just my $0.02.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
While I respect his option to do this, I wonder how his GM/owner feels about his stance on this.

As someone who employs a lot of people (many of them mechanics and shop foremen) I would fire or reposition anyone who turns down opportunities for additional revenue. A better approach would have been to have terms around what it takes to get his service/help.

For example, he could say, you must buy the parts from my dealership, I charge $110 hour spent working on it with a 2 hour minimum, any call to coordinate with your dealer I will charge at the aforementioned rate, etc.

ā€˜Not worth it for a million bucksā€ is a comment I hear far too often from employees not able to see the bigger picture and from those that donā€™t have their personal pocketbook on the line.

Just my $0.02.
He could, but I also sense this is a gray area with FCA and if they are requesting codes added on a regular basis someone will take notice and question the situation.

dhodgeant

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU rubicon 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Has anyone gotten this to work on a 2018 JLUR? Noticed some of the parts list 2019 and up and some have the 2018 listed thanks for the help...

Jeepinjack66

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT
I'm very interested in this. I'm reading mixed things. I have a 2019 JLR (made in June) and someone mentioned the wiring harness for the doors are ok to use for this project on a 2019. That just the gate would need the new harness. Ill be following this thread for more updates and hopefully more people will check it out and fill us in. Thank you to all who have been working on this!

Sponsored

CountHookula

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
What does BSM mean? How do i know whether i need the wiring harness with or without BSM?

Osinski

First Name
Jose Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6 Hella Yella
I tried the Jeep Cares Route. They told me that ā€œFCA US LLC doesnā€™t recommend changes to the original factory configurationā€. I guess no vins are updated with new option codes. Good grief. What a joke.
Here is the email I got back from them when I asked them to add GXD to my vin.

ā€œDaniel,

Thank you for contacting FCA US LLC.

VIN: .............. (deleted my vin for privacy)

Our records indicate this vehicle was not equipped from the factory with GXD Remote Proximity Keyless Entry.

According to available information, there is no Mopar Accessory Remote Proximity Keyless Entry Kit available for this vehicle. In addition, FCA US LLC does not recommend modifying or altering any vehicle from the original manufacturer's specifications. Therefore, we are unable to assist you with your modification or alteration request.

Sincerely,
Joe
Jeep Wrangler JL Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler {filename}
ā€
This is Jeep Customer Service (at least in Europe...). :-(

JeepRumbler

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S, 2020 Gladiator Max Tow
Update. This will work in the Sport S, and it will work with only one handle installed. I am driving home now and will video the install from the passenger side.

Last edited:

YellowOrBust

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
We did this on our shop 2018 JLUR back in April of 2018. Added all the hardware, added the programming in the BCM. Didnā€™t work.
Either an RF HUB replace procedure needed to be performed (we didnā€™t have access to dealer account to perform this) or the actual RF Hub needed to be changed (again we didnā€™t have the tool to enter the rolling PIn code)... or the early 2018ā€™s didnā€™t have the ability in the BCM or RF hub, period.
Never tried on any other JLā€™s as itā€™s too much work to install just to try.
If someone can confirm that itā€™s just the sales code and no PIN code entry RF Hub replace procedure, I can add this function into the Tazer. Likely would only work on 2019+ in this case.
I've got a 2018 Rubicon. Contacted my local dealer before I bought anything and they confidently said they could do it, but hadn't done it before. Decided to go for it so I bought the necessary parts to do the drive door and rear door only. Installed them over the weekend and took it to the dealership yesterday. They tried all afternoon to get it to work but were not successful. The guy knew exactly what code to use and he had contacted Chrysler for help as well, but could never get the code to take. He said he did hard resets on the BCM and tried updating everything but never got it to take.

Is there any reason it wouldn't work in a 2018 Rubicon?

Sponsored

sstuner

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Waiting to see if a 2018 model is successful before I order any parts.

Houston

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu
Update. This will work in the Sport S, and it will work with only one handle installed. I am driving home now and will video the install from the passenger side.
great video and did you went to dealer to add code?

thanks

Dmentd_Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I've got a 2018 Rubicon. Contacted my local dealer before I bought anything and they confidently said they could do it, but hadn't done it before. Decided to go for it so I bought the necessary parts to do the drive door and rear door only. Installed them over the weekend and took it to the dealership yesterday. They tried all afternoon to get it to work but were not successful. The guy knew exactly what code to use and he had contacted Chrysler for help as well, but could never get the code to take. He said he did hard resets on the BCM and tried updating everything but never got it to take.

Is there any reason it wouldn't work in a 2018 Rubicon?
Request a build sheet fro Jeep cares (seemingly the only thing they will do for you) and see if the option GXD is on your build sheet. If the dealer got Chrysler to add it then it will show up regardless of whether your Jeep would take the option code. Iā€™m betting it isnā€™t going to be on the build sheet.
Sponsored