Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
I'm really excited by this thread because my wife and I are looking at getting an Airstream, and need more towing, but a Jeep Gladiator can't be had from the factory with Max Tow and Proximity Locks. Good thinking Jeep - people who have money to spend on expensive toys can only buy a base Jeep to pull it.

But now it can at least be added.

sstuner

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Following, thanks for the detailed instructions. I guess the hardest part was finding a FCA Service Center that is willing to program our vehicles.

Sponsored

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Sport S
Has anyone been able to confirm if a Sport S could have this programming added? I'm guessing no since it's not an option from the factory, but I haven't seen that confirmed yet.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Much as I've read every post in this thread and this may have come up but I missed it, I'm sorry if I ask again.

Here's the scenario: normally, no way would I start spending on these parts to add proximity functionality to my rig, let alone commit myself to the job without having done research (and commitment) into the willingness of a nearby dealer to add the GXD sales code to my rig, and at what price.

But these are not normal times. And I might not be able to visit dealerships in person under COVID-19, at least for the next few weeks, where my ability to sway service managers into doing this GXD code adjustment in person, versus getting (or not) their assurances over the phone is my only safe communication method.

And ironically, $ notwithstanding, this is the perfect time for me to effect such an upgrade--at least the parts I can do without the dealer--given quarantine.

That said, if I do the upgrade correctly but can't for a while get the GXD code added by a dealer, is it correct that I lose NO functionality with my doors? Do they still unlock with my fob---which always had the ability to unlock them with a button press, if not proximity? Do they still open after a physical key turn?

Thanks.

OP
OP

DE_Jeep

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited
Much as I've read every post in this thread and this may have come up but I missed it, I'm sorry if I ask again.

Here's the scenario: normally, no way would I start spending on these parts to add proximity functionality to my rig, let alone commit myself to the job without having done research (and commitment) into the willingness of a nearby dealer to add the GXD sales code to my rig, and at what price.

But these are not normal times. And I might not be able to visit dealerships in person under COVID-19, at least for the next few weeks, where my ability to sway service managers into doing this GXD code adjustment in person, versus getting (or not) their assurances over the phone is my only safe communication method.

And ironically, $ notwithstanding, this is the perfect time for me to effect such an upgrade--at least the parts I can do without the dealer--given quarantine.

That said, if I do the upgrade correctly but can't for a while get the GXD code added by a dealer, is it correct that I lose NO functionality with my doors? Do they still unlock with my fob---which always had the ability to unlock them with a button press, if not proximity? Do they still open after a physical key turn?

Thanks.
You will still have all functions you had prior

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
You will still have all functions you had prior
Jeff, others, can you please explain about the antennas for proximity to work?

Where do they reside? Are there five of them, one for each door on an Unlimited? How can I check on my April 2018 Sahara is I have them--what do they look like? I have push button start and the ability to unlock the doors from my FOB but not remote starting capabilities.

Thanks much.

Osinski

First Name
Jose Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6 Hella Yella
Dear Jeff:

Congratullations for this excellent work and detailed instructions.

I have already installed to my USA 3.6 Rubi, the same hardware. Also I have already installed the european exterior mirrors with the blind spot lights and turn signals. I have already installed the door grabs and the door grab caps (new antennas). By the moment, they work fine as originally but without the new function. I have not reprogramed yet the car (due the Covid).
I believe that we need to change also the RF hub. Maybe the way to be sure if necessary, could be to compare our RF hub with the same installed into a Sahara or Rubicon with this feature. This could be the reason because the Dealer cannot to do the reprogramation. Let's investigate. For that, we will need a "charitable soul" with a JL (with this feature) that lets us open the dashboard (A/AC panel only) to see the RF hub code and compare if it's the same.
Again, congratulations for the very good exposition done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Dear Jeff:

Congratullations for this excellent work and detailed instructions.

I have already installed to my USA 3.6 Rubi, the same hardware. Also I have already installed the european exterior mirrors with the blind spot lights and turn signals. I have already installed the door grabs and the door grab caps (new antennas). By the moment, they work fine as originally but without the new function. I have not reprogramed yet the car (due the Covid).
I believe that we need to change also the RF hub. Maybe the way to be sure if necessary, could be to compare our RF hub with the same installed into a Sahara or Rubicon with this feature. This could be the reason because the Dealer cannot to do the reprogramation. Let's investigate. For that, we will need a "charitable soul" with a JL (with this feature) that lets us open the dashboard (A/AC panel only) to see the RF hub code and compare if it's the same.
Again, congratulations for the very good exposition done.
Jose: You lost me where you suggested a comparison between the RF hub on your American 3.6L Rubicon to another Sahara or Rubicon.

Would you explain? Thanks.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Great info thanks everybody, Iā€™m down for adding this to my 19 Rubicon but hesitant due to dealer hassles. I am in Southern California looking for a dealer also maybe we can work together to find a dealer or do some kind of group thing or just pass the info along.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Installed all the parts over the weekend and went into dealership today. They said they could get the code added and the programing done but would need to charge me for 2 hours labor. Sounded like a fair deal.

They called some "hotline" and had the GXD code added.

When they ran the VIN it came up that some other firmware updates due that were not listed in the online owners portal. A new update for the electronic power steering as well as another update for the u-connect.

So since they had to do that at the same time it ended up being no charge!

And I also now have working proximity locks!!!!

Thanks so much for this guide - it was the only option I missed ordering that really regretted and you've now solved that. NORGRETS.

EDIT - FYI my vehicle had the driver/passenger door harnesses already installed with the plug for the handle undone. It was built July 2019. It didn't have the tailgate harness.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Installed all the parts over the weekend and went into dealership today. They said they could get the code added and the programing done but would need to charge me for 2 hours labor. Sounded like a fair deal.

They called some "hotline" and had the GXD code added.

When they ran the VIN it came up that some other firmware updates due that were not listed in the online owners portal. A new update for the electronic power steering as well as another update for the u-connect.

So since they had to do that at the same time it ended up being no charge!

And I also now have working proximity locks!!!!

Thanks so much for this guide - it was the only option I missed ordering that really regretted and you've now solved that. NORGRETS.

EDIT - FYI my vehicle had the driver/passenger door harnesses already installed with the plug for the handle undone. It was built July 2019. It didn't have the tailgate harness.
This is awesome to hear. Question on the already in place door harnesses. Any chance you would have been able to see them/reach them without taking the door panels apart? (After taking handles off and looking in)

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
This is awesome to hear. Question on the already in place door harnesses. Any chance you would have been able to see them/reach them without taking the door panels apart? (After taking handles off and looking in)
No, mine were folded back along main harness run and tied in at the tie-clips they use. I actually had my passenger harness 1/3rd of the way out before I realized the plug was there just tied back. Part #'s match.
Sponsored