Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler

mferrara91

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Went and looked at their website and it comes with a Tazer, is that the case?
Gregj
I don’t think it matters whether it’s programmed through JScan or Tazer, changing the settings either way. I went in and re-programmed everything again in the same order you posted. I remember checking the handle caps before installing and they had a January date. I took them out to confirm:

Jeep Wrangler JL Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler 78E60D04-0A57-48D5-B657-10750D92B70D
Jeep Wrangler JL Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler 72C2C9CD-1303-4FC5-B7DA-444ADD972AE8

I can’t think of anything else it can be, especially since the tailgate is working fine.
Sponsored

mferrara91

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Went and looked at their website and it comes with a Tazer, is that the case?
Gregj
UPDATE: Reversed the magnets and installed in my old end caps, working perfectly. Nismopar is aware of the issue and sending me new end caps. I asked them to check the date before shipping! 🤣 Appreciate the help Greg, and also from everyone in this forum.

jdthird

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
Etch, thanks for those details for the Jscan app. I got fed up with dealers around here being unwilling to make the phone call, so I got the cable, a bluetooth ODB unit, and the Jscan app. Granted, right now I only have the tailgate done, since I tried to do the driver's door last night and removing the bolt for the window, one of them snapped. I threw it all back together at that point for the time being to test the window, and at least it still goes up, down, no rattling and no movement even over the roughest train tracks I could find. But I have to go to the dealer for a wiring harness somewhere that's causing an issue with the ESS, so I'll wait till after that to re-attempt the door harness...

I read all the complaints about the problem getting at the security gateway cables in the '21 models with the advanced sound, but that actually turned out to be nearly as easy as the tailgate handle and harness were, even for my large piano playing hands... Guess my time in the Air Force working on aircraft, and canon plugs deep inside of tight spaces finally proved to be useful in civilian life...

Now I have to go through the Jscan app to see if there's anything else I want to tweak. I may need to play a bit with tire size, since my '21 Willys has been off since day one, don't know if it was set with the standard tires like my '18 JL Sahara had, but ended up with the MT tires so something is off now in the settings, but I'm about 4 or 5 MPH higher reading at 70 MPH than any other device I have will show my speed... And I saw someone had a setting in there somewhere about turning on the rear camera with the blinker to give better views when changing lanes... Time to start looking through it and finding out what will be other things I want to do.

Meanwhile I'm happy to have passive entry again. Even if I don't bother on the driver's side at all, the tailgate is more than adequate for me since I invariably approach the vehicle from the back anyway whether at work or home or shopping... This thread made me a VERY happy Jeeper since the passive entry was the biggest thing I missed when I traded in my '18 JL Sahara for the '21 Willys. I totally forgot that passive entry was totally separate from keyless entry... And I hated myself for that every time I had to lock or unlock my Jeep...

K4ZI

First Name
Imran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport Unlimited
How did you get the passenger side wiring over to the instrument panel connector (XY315A) in the driver kick panel - OR is there also a instrument panel connector in the passenger side kick panel as well? Thanks much!

Looks like I'm facing the same issue. But have a more fundamental question. The 2 pins 15&16 from the kick panel connector need to connect to what? And where is the other end going? Any pictures,, wiring diagrams, direction. Much appreciated.

K4ZI

First Name
Imran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport Unlimited
I've been holding up on posting here until I come up with a concrete answer for what works, but so far I'll share my journey and let you know a few things that I have experimented with that do not work. I'm attempting to add proximity to a 2019 JLU Sport S and a 2020 Gladiator Sport S.

The install has gone really smoothly. The entire Wrangler is done, and I only did the driver's side on the Gladiator (for science) so that we can get an answer to whether or not it will work without the entire system installed. I checked, and it looks like my JLU and JT both have all the requisite antennas that were known to exist on the Sahara and Rubicon, so check on that. I did not have the harnesses that support the handle on either Jeep, but the install is pretty simple, and the parts are relatively cheap. I will make a video on this when I add it to the other side of the Gladiator.

Hardware = done, but now it's time for the hard part. Getting this enabled in your computer is a bit of a chore, and one that I'm still working, but I think I have licked now (knock on wood). I first attempted it with the Jscan OBD app as it has been mentioned that it had a proximity setting that could be triggered. Whenever I altered the setting with the 7-inch radio, the proximity setting popped up under the doors and locks page, and I thought I had a simple way to get this done. Unfortunately, the setting would not take. I think it is because it enables it on the radio group, but doesn't program the RF module to be looking for the keys to trigger the locks from the handles. As a side note, on my 8.4-inch radio, the setting wouldn't ever appear from the Jscan, so that was a very dead end.

I had also reached out to Tazer since that's what I have been using to calibrate for the tire size on the Gladiator to ask if they wanted me to test out any firmware that might enable the option since we know that it can be done now. I never heard back from them on that. Not a knock on them since I'm sure they get tons of messages about features, and there's no way for them to vet it all.

This left me with the option of going to the dealer. We have seen that people have had mixed success with this, and I am no different here. My local dealer agreed to give it a shot, but communication with them has been hard since this seems to be such an unorthodox ask for them. Kudos for trying, but the first time I took it in and showed them this thread, they tried to program it from their system and told me that GXM was the only code that popped up and the couldn't add GXD. They gave me a number to call for Jeep corporate to have it added, but it was a dead-end on 3 separate calls, as they had no idea what I was talking about and thought I was trying to get an individual recall added.

At a dead end again, I found a dealership that had successfully done this in the past. The people up front on the phone had no idea what I was talking about but said they'd have the shop foreman give me a call. Surprisingly he did and explained to me what goes on behind the scenes for this. He has gotten this to work on Jeeps and Ram trucks that they have at the dealership. The dealers themselves can not add the GXD sales code because MOPAR doesn't sell a kit for the dealers to add it as an option. The dealers have to call either their technical advisor or their area manager in order for the code to be added from Chrysler. After that, once it's added in Chrysler's system, the dealer has to perform a restore vehicle configuration which is just a PCM flash like they would use to add any other software, and then it will appear.

Armed with this, I called two other local dealers, but they still had no idea how they would attempt this and told me it couldn't be done. I went back to my original dealer with these instructions, and they were still unable to make it happen for me. Luckily, the dealer I had spoken with that had done it offered to put me on his list to add it just to help me out. This will update the options for my VINs in the database and all my local dealership has to do is flash the system. He did say that he's working with Chrysler to get this added as an option for the dealers to be able to change without Chrysler's assistance, so there may be a much easier way in the future. It'll be no different than adding AUX switches or changing tire sizes. I am not listing the Service Center for the reasons listed in the post below, even though based on the location I think I talked to a different dealer, as they can't handle all the traffic that would probably come from this, but they are working on making it easier for everyone.

I will report back whether or not it works on a Sport S. Since all the hardware is there I don't see why it won't.

TL;DR It is going to be very dealer dependant on whether you can get this to work or not. If it were not for me being slow at work due to COVID, I probably wouldn't have had the time to run all of this down.

Great detail here. Thank you. Question - on your Sport, did you have the driver side XY600A pin 15 &16 already wired in? If not how did you wire it & where did you connect it to?

Sponsored

K4ZI

First Name
Imran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport Unlimited
Update. This will work in the Sport S, and it will work with only one handle installed. I am driving home now and will video the install from the passenger side.
Thank you. Very useful.

Question - On your Sport, did your driver side XY600A connector have pins 15 &16 pre-wired? Mine isn't & from what I read I need to do some additional wiring. But no idea where to1

K4ZI

First Name
Imran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport Unlimited
Okay... I have the tailgate proximity working. I have the proximity handles installed on the driver and passenger side and just got the harnesses 68299332AF and 68299333AF finally in my possession but dont have the pins in the body connectors where the door plugs in. Would it be possible to get these made so I can run wiring from the door xy600a I/P connector to the xy315a connector.. I would gladly pay you for your time as well if you could make a set for the driver and passenger side.
Did you get this wired finally? How did you go from XY600A to XY315A? Any pictures, video. Location of connectors etc. Appreciate it.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Thank you. Very useful.

Question - On your Sport, did your driver side XY600A connector have pins 15 &16 pre-wired? Mine isn't & from what I read I need to do some additional wiring. But no idea where to1
The connector you need to create a jumper wire to is behind the larger driver's kick panel (it's directly below the little trim piece you pull off to disconnect the doors). You can get to it once you remove that trim piece (it's a pain - lots of things to pry and unbolt).

Anyhoo, the large grey connector behind that kick panel has the wires you need to jumper to, one pair for the driver's door, one pair for the passenger's door). I don't have the pin numbers for that connector handy, but it's on this thread somewhere. I just tapped the wires and used simple disconnects to hook into the proximity handle wires. If you want to keep it all inside of the XY600A/XY650A connectors, you'll have to solder pins to wires and open up connectors. I think the pins you'd need to buy are also on this thread somewhere.

K4ZI

First Name
Imran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport Unlimited
I wish I could have repined but was afraid I'd end up making a bigger mess. So I'm just using butt connectors and taping everything up as best I can. I'll find out if it works when I finally get my set.

IMG_6865.JPG

IMG_6866.JPG
Great work. How did you access the XY315A? Any instructions/manual/video? Want pull out that trim, but would be good to know how to, rather than a discovery job :)

Sponsored

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Collecting dust.... thinking about melting the plastic down and shape a mini sculpture out of it....
I thought about putting it up for grabs on the forum. I don't need it, and really it's just taking up space. Price, shipping

david63

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara, 2018 & 2015 2 door JK Sport
Saw a couple of posts where some folks might have had a similar issue to mine, that is still unresolved, I installed the tailgate parts and when grabbing the handle or pushing the button the key fob light flashes but no lock or unlock. Have tried swapping parts Tazer vs Jscan still no joy - ANY suggestions would be welcome

AllMoparParts.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Hi Guys,

We could use some help here if possible. We have a customer located in the Monroe, Louisiana area looking for a dealership that can install the passive entry kit on her 2021 Rubicon. The dealership she brought the Jeep to initially did not know how to install the parts as there were no instructions :facepalm: , Yes this was a Jeep dealership. She is willing to drive some distance to have it installed.

Any help or info is appreciated!

Thank you,
- Benny

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Hi Guys,

We could use some help here if possible. We have a customer located in the Monroe, Louisiana area looking for a dealership that can install the passive entry kit on her 2021 Rubicon. The dealership she brought the Jeep to initially did not know how to install the parts as there were no instructions :facepalm: , Yes this was a Jeep dealership. She is willing to drive some distance to have it installed.

Any help or info is appreciated!

Thank you,
- Benny
Willing to help but El Paso is a long drive from Monroe.
Gregj