Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler

Rdog

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Nope. This is the route I took. I'll add tailgate next.
Nope. This is the route I took. I'll add tailgate next.
Anyone also have a 2021 sport and have done this with no problem? Everything is installed and turned on with tazer and still not working. I tried the magnet trick and still nothing? Looking for some help if anyone has some input to help me out . Thanks

patternman

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2014 & 2001 Indian
Anyone also have a 2021 sport and have done this with no problem? Everything is installed and turned on with tazer and still not working. I tried the magnet trick and still nothing? Looking for some help if anyone has some input to help me out . Thanks
I installed the tailgate first, about 3 months later I did the driver door & about a year later I did the passenger door. I did have to install the wires from connector XY315A to the door connectors though. One of the reasons I waited to do passenger door so long was to do other wire routing at the same time.

Edit: Sport S with remote start & remote unlock so I had the hub for those if that makes a difference.

Rdog

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
I installed the tailgate first, about 3 months later I did the driver door & about a year later I did the passenger door. I did have to install the wires from connector XY315A to the door connectors though. One of the reasons I waited to do passenger door so long was to do other wire routing at the same time.

Edit: Sport S with remote start & remote unlock so I had the hub for those if that makes a difference.
Thank you for the info. I have the sport s with remote start and u lock. Did the tailgate work without doing the the wire u were talking about? Or the only way u got it working was doing the wire? Could u show me what wire u are talking about so I could do it?

patternman

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2014 & 2001 Indian
Thank you for the info. I have the sport s with remote start and u lock. Did the tailgate work without doing the the wire u were talking about? Or the only way u got it working was doing the wire? Could u show me what wire u are talking about so I could do it?
Yes the tailgate worked without any wire mods.
Start on page 13 post 193:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/proximity-door-locks-retrofit-install-instructions-parts-links-on-jl-wrangler.49241/page-13#post-1097529
Edit: The harness for the tailgate had to be added. It is the easiest harness to add.

Last edited:

Sponsored

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Well I took the chance and ordered a tazer, the driver side kit, and the parts for the rear gate. I wanted to save a little money so I didn't get the whole kit. I guess we will see what happens. Good news is this thread has been an amazing read and a problem solving machine.

GreatWhite13

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport s
added the jumper wires for the doors and installed a tailgate handle and cap and works just as it should ..... silly question but does it auto lock and if so how far do i have to be and how long before it happena?

20210628_190106.jpg

dan1000

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe >-- Bluebird Wanderlodge PT-38
I finally achieved success with my proximity locking system today, on my 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Safari 4xe. Lessons learned along the way:

1) DO NOT include the vehicle's VIN when ordering parts, or the supplier may "correct" your part numbers to be the ones that suit your vehicle (as represented by the equipment linked to the VIN). Since Jeep built the vehicle without proximity locks, the supplier may "correct" the wiring harness part numbers to be the non-proximity ones, since that's what your VIN says you have. So ... No VIN on the order.

2) For whatever reason, Tazer JL Mini with the 2.7 software did not enable my proximity locking system, even when I changed the "proximity" setting to "YES". And yes, I tried all combinations of rebooting, etc.

3) Jscan worked like a charm to get the system working, but ... there were several settings that appeared to need to change. Jscan recognized that Tazer had enabled the proximity system, but it appears that Tazer did not enable any of the antennas, nor enable the radio's ability to control the proximity system.

Bottom line: If I had not put a VIN on my parts orders, and if I had gone straight to Jscan, this process would have been quick and painless. I would put the physical disassembling and re-assembling at about 75 minutes for a first timer. If I were to do it again, I could do it in 30 minutes. Then the Jscan programming took about 5 minutes.

Thanks to EVERYONE on this thread for their contributions. It is clear that one size does not fit all. Some people had good luck with Tazer. Others needed more wiring than my Sahara did.

The proximity system is well worth having!

Last edited:

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
I got my rear gate parts yesterday, still waiting on the driver side kit and tazer. Then, off to the races.

Sponsored

calvinf1

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU North Edition
added the jumper wires for the doors and installed a tailgate handle and cap and works just as it should ..... silly question but does it auto lock and if so how far do i have to be and how long before it happena?

Jeep Wrangler JL Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler 20210628_190106
I have had mine installed (DYI) for a few months now and as far as I know, there is no auto locking feature by adding proximity locking function.

GreatWhite13

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport s
I have had mine installed (DYI) for a few months now and as far as I know, there is no auto locking feature by adding proximity locking function.
that saves me some time looking through menus lol

i wasnt going to do this but i found these local for a song and figured wth why not

mcburris

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
I finally achieved success with my proximity locking system today, on my 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Safari 4xe. Lessons learned along the way:

1) DO NOT include the vehicle's VIN when ordering parts, or the supplier may "correct" your part numbers to be the ones that suit your vehicle (as represented by the equipment linked to the VIN). Since Jeep built the vehicle without proximity locks, the supplier may "correct" the wiring harness part numbers to be the non-proximity ones, since that's what your VIN says you have. So ... No VIN on the order.

2) For whatever reason, Tazer JL Mini with the 2.7 software did not enable my proximity locking system, even when I changed the "proximity" setting to "YES". And yes, I tried all combinations of rebooting, etc.

3) Jscan worked like a charm to get the system working, but ... there were several settings that appeared to need to change. Jscan recognized that Tazer had enabled the proximity system, but it appears that Tazer did not enable any of the antennas, nor enable the radio's ability to control the proximity system.

Bottom line: If I had not put a VIN on my parts orders, and if I had gone straight to Jscan, this process would have been quick and painless. I would put the physical disassembling and re-assembling at about 75 minutes for a first timer. If I were to do it again, I could do it in 30 minutes. Then the Jscan programming took about 5 minutes.

Thanks to EVERYONE on this thread for their contributions. It is clear that one size does not fit all. Some people had good luck with Tazer. Others needed more wiring than my Sahara did.

The proximity system is well worth having!
Do you have a list or MOPAR part numbers needed as I have a 2021 Sahara 4xe also with remote start and all the trimmings except the touch entry. Also assuming that the wiring harness is also needed to be installed?

D-Rex

First Name
Dwane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone who built a Sport wiring harness have any extra TERM114 connector pins they'd like to sell? Connector Experts is backordered and they don't have an ETA as to when they will be back in stock. They "hoped" to have them in stock in a few days. I don't need the TERM42C pins.

dan1000

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe >-- Bluebird Wanderlodge PT-38
Do you have a list or MOPAR part numbers needed as I have a 2021 Sahara 4xe also with remote start and all the trimmings except the touch entry. Also assuming that the wiring harness is also needed to be installed?

Yes. Please see post 97 in this thread.
Sponsored