Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
I can't see anyone adding this option by a dealer by paying $500+ for parts and $300 - $500 for labor.
For the average person, it wouldn’t make any sense. Who would pay $1000 for a package they could get from the factory at $500. Doing it yoursef with Jscan costs $400 in parts, and about $100 in programmers and such. Of course you have to do the labor yourself and be technically inclined, but I would much rather go this route than have to deal with the dealer.

FCA likely sees too much complication with little reward. They would have to come up with a solution for the Sports, market it at a comprable price to factory, and be able to make a profit. It would be much better to sell someone up on a more expensive model.

I could see an aftermarket company coming in, much like Smart Stop Start and coming up with a kit.
Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I can't see anyone adding this option by a dealer by paying $500+ for parts and $300 - $500 for labor.
Agreed..they could though bundle the parts as a kit to reduce overall consumer price (when getting the dealer to install) and still clear a profit.

The physical install is pretty quick, Sport S notwithstanding. I don't know about the computer work, and if the latter's the kind of thing you can let happen while a tech gets it going and then works on other vehicles while it processes.

Dealers love you to come in to get this stuff installed as they get to upsell you.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed..they could though bundle the parts as a kit to reduce overall consumer price (when getting the dealer to install) and still clear a profit.

The physical install is pretty quick, Sport S notwithstanding. I don't know about the computer work, and if the latter's the kind of thing you can let happen while a tech gets it going and then works on other vehicles while it processes.

Dealers love you to come in to get this stuff installed as they get to upsell you.
They also like to charge more time than it actually takes to install. I don't see them doing it for less than 2.5 - 3 hours.

taholland

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Parts Manager
I agree. However, I would have paid that if that what It would have cost to do it after the fact. But your right, most people won’t. I paid a little over $400 I think for the parts and installed them myself. Plus reflash. Ended up being about what the sticker would have been from the factory.

Sponsored

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Just FYI Received shipment notification today for all my parts. I ordered all complete (aprox 3 weeks ago) . Without BSM
$386.74 total shipped

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just FYI Received shipment notification today for all my parts. I ordered all complete (aprox 3 weeks ago) . Without BSM
$386.74 total shipped
Good price. Mine were $399 from the dealer parts department.

Swatpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
I have a 2018 Rubicon. Has BSM and attached is a picture of the door plug wiring harness which has the two pins I believe. So I don’t need the door harnesses correct?

553E34FE-2914-4AD9-89E1-61AE865FA7AB.jpeg

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
You need the door harnasses to get the wiring to the door handle. There are two different part numbers for the doors - one w/o BSM and one with.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
I have a 2018 Rubicon. Has BSM and attached is a picture of the door plug wiring harness which has the two pins I believe. So I don’t need the door harnesses correct?

553E34FE-2914-4AD9-89E1-61AE865FA7AB.jpeg
That is the body side of the harness, look in the door side for the two green wires I posted above. Sahara/Rubicon usually have the wires in the body side but not in the door harness.
Gregj

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
I’m not seeing them, they are in the middle row of wires opposite side of the big orange with white stripe.

Gregj

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My non-proximity, non-BSM door wiring harnass had 11 wires on the back left side and 5 back right.
Sponsored