Sponsored

Proximity - Auto lock when exiting?

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I would have to double check but i think they lock when you auto start the car. Couple times i did it in the garage and came out wondering why the doors were locked.
Sponsored

ariley

First Name
Agnes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
The doors auto-lock after about a minute of being in the car and driving away. Maybe less. But this has nothing to do with the proximity keyless entry. I don't have it and my doors lock automatically when being in the vehicle. That's just a safety feature.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
The doors do not auto lock by themselves when you exit. You can lock them by pressing the button on the handles. They also auto lock when you exceed 15 mph (unless you’ve disabled this feature) and when you use remote start.

RMojitoJL

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon *Mojito*, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude, 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Occupation
Loan Officer
Vehicle Showcase
The luxury of not having to remember to lock your own car I'm sure will be easy to get over. I'd rather lock it and know, vs not and come back to stuff missing anyway. As far as a few thinking it was part of the feature, maybe testing at the deal on a model that has it or reading the features to be sure would of been a good advance option prior to paying the $500 for.
Piece of mind is locking it- habit will be easy to get use to I'm sure. :like:
:jk: Jeep On-

Sponsored

Smooth9883

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLRU & 2018 WK2 Trailhawk
Having auto lock and unlock on both my corvette and Yukon I can say the feature is great! It can be a pain with kids though that take forever to get their little bootys out of the car because they’re too busy playing on their iPads. #firstworldproblems.

It seems to me this would be a software update that could be rolled out if FAC wanted to do so. I think the only thing the hardware would need to do is detect the fob being out of short distance range, which is what happens when the button is pushed on the door handle. So if they could have that system auto sense the signal instead of pushing the button I think it would work. #notanengineerormechanic

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I have used the uconnect but it is rather slow for the app to load and to send the signal to start. If they could cut both those times in half would be a big improvement.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Never heard of such a feature. All proximity key vehicles I’ve owned, you have to touch something on the door. No way I’d want it to lock on its own.
It's actually been around for 25 years, the walk away-auto lock proximity feature first appeared on the 1994 Corvette

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
I like the way Jeep has it you want lock your keys in the vehicle when your off-roading and get out to walk a trail. To me it's better this way no auto lock.
But again each his own.

Sponsored

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
It won’t lock you out when you walk away from the vehicle if your keys are still inside. The proximity detection is in the key fob, not in a microchip placed in your ear… for now anyway.

KCC_703

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray MOAB
It's electronic right? Should be a user customizable option.

SinghJeep

First Name
Sudesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon 2020
Never heard of such a feature. All proximity key vehicles I’ve owned, you have to touch something on the door. No way I’d want it to lock on its own.
You say that perhaps because you haven't experienced that feature. Self locking is not a new thing whatsoever. Four other cars I own currently lock as you walk away unless you leave the fob in the vehicle. Great feature IMO.

BoBo30

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe Sahara
Am I doing this wrong? Just got my 19 JLUR and have the passive entry fob/proximity entry. Walking up and touching the handles works like a charm and doors unlock. BUT, getting out and walking away the doors are not auto locking. I have to close the door and then press the door handle button. Is this correct?

On my 18 Honda Pilot, its the same for entry, but when you get out and leave, it auto locks all the doors with a quick flash and honk.

What am I missing?
That is a Honda and Japan thing.... Chryslers, Dodges, Jeeps etc do not auto lock upon exiting the vehicle. Just press the lock button on the inside of the door before you close it and it will be locked and no need to press the outside button or the key fob and make it beep.
Sponsored