Protection packages from dealer

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Everything they try to sell you in F&I is a super high markup, high commission product. I always decline everything. If I want coverage, I'll find it myself later for much less money. Generally I just self insure against "wheel damage" or "door dings", etc.
Sponsored

jlcalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Hi Folks,

Just waiting on delivery of a JLUR and I was curious to see what protection packages the dealers always try to sell you are with it or not. These include 3M protection for the front, undercoating, extended warranties, etc. The finance guy always seem to push hard to sell these probably for commission and always has some scary story. Thanks
The majority of these are better to just get aftermarket. Get quotes on PPF and compare it to their price, and make sure it's for the same film and coverage.

They might also try to sell you windshield protection. But the best option is to get a windshield protection film kit from these guys and install it yourself:

https://www.grab-gard.com/products/jeep-wrangler-windshield

MayThe4x4BWU

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR
Occupation
IT Small Business Owner
My way around these "bullying" tactics by dealers is to simply tell them I don't plan to keep the vehicle for more than 3 years, so I don't need anything and just keep parroting the same response for every single thing they try to pan on me. Even if you plan to keep it till it falls apart, I find this tactic an easy way to skirt right around over 1/2 the BS dealers will be "obliged" to point out and sell to you.

I laughed at my finance person when they showed me a bent rim from a Sahara that was conveniently located within viewing distance of where I was sitting.

They will try just about anything to trigger some part of your anxiety about owning a vehicle.

A few narrow eyed looks in response to their silly recommendations also will get the point across...just don't be too obnoxious 😆

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Yes - because it's never applied properly outside of the factory and if not applied properly, it's far more damaging than not using an undercoat at all.

It took me 3 years of regular scraping, sanding, and wire-brushing to remove all the poorly applied dealer undercoat on my Tahoe and correct all the damage it did.

You can get frame protection done the right way, but you are never going to get it as an after-sale service from a dealer for $300-800.
Unfortunately I'm not aware of any manufacturers that have ever offered rustproofing as a factory option (though I think they should) and yeah, there's so many different kinds of products, with some like rubber coating and wax/cosmoline coating making a hard to remove mess of things. I'm thinking products like Fluid Film and Woolwax are a better compromise, while providing at least some protection for a relatively reasonable price. Had a dealer use one of these on a Mazda and while it's a little messy, it doesn't seem at all permanent (and was only $500 for so many years of annual re-applications).

I just looked. One in the bottom of each door and one each into the bulkhead where the door latches. (I know - sailing term). The access points don’t bother me in the least. If you’ve every had work done by a “dent wizard”, they do the same thing if their suction cups don’t work and there are no factory access paints nearby,

As for the merit of using rust control / prevention, I’m not getting into it. If you have your car long enough and live in the rust belt, you know exactly what winters do to our rigs.
Thanks!

Sponsored

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Just send me $300 and I’ll wave my wand and give you the same level of protection while saving you big $$😏

OP
OP
First Name
Santo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Rubicon Extreme Recon

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
Call Tom Winkels at Hayes Jeep and get a price on MaxCare
Just do this and buy nothing else, don't even try and get the dealer warranty as they lie and sell crap, this one is the real deal mopar plan
Also, if you do this and are planning on getting a mopar lift you need to get the mopar warranty for that at the time of the maxcare warranty purchase or never for, I believe, 500 beans more
I also got sacked because I have an RHD for another 500 beans but I believe thats the only model with the surcharge (but I could be wrong like that one time I was mistaken)
Thanks Raven for the reminder 😺

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
Unfortunately I'm not aware of any manufacturers that have ever offered rustproofing as a factory option (though I think they should)...
Ford and Chevy always have for their trucks. It's done at the factory though, not at the dealer.

Reactions: AFD

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
All cars and trucks made in the USA after 1987 have galvanized steel which is a protective coating of zinc on the steel. As long as you do not scratch through the zinc coating and expose the bare steel then no rust should happen.

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

They “probably” get commission?? Lol

the only thing worth it in my opinon is Tru-Coat. We got that on our jeep and Pacifica. Our sales guy Jerry Lundegaard even got the manager to knock $100 off on it

linux_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 6-speed manual, 2011 Compass 5-speed manual
They “probably” get commission?? Lol

the only thing worth it in my opinon is Tru-Coat. We got that on our jeep and Pacifica. Our sales guy Jerry Lundegaard even got the manager to knock $100 off on it
He could at least throw in a free woodchipper.
Sponsored