Protection packages from dealer

First Name
Santo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Rubicon Extreme Recon
Hi Folks,

Just waiting on delivery of a JLUR and I was curious to see what protection packages the dealers always try to sell you are with it or not. These include 3M protection for the front, undercoating, extended warranties, etc. The finance guy always seem to push hard to sell these probably for commission and always has some scary story. Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Santo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Folks,

Just waiting on delivery of a JLUR and I was curious to see what protection packages the dealers always try to sell you are with it or not. These include 3M protection for the front, undercoating, extended warranties, etc. The finance guy always seem to push hard to sell these probably for commission and always has some scary story. Thanks
Sorry, I meant to say worth it.

ForgottenTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Sarge Green JLU Willys
I didn’t see any value in the packages when we did the paperwork for the wife’s willys last month. Those packages were not cheap.

OP
OP
First Name
Santo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn’t see any value in the packages when we did the paperwork for the wife’s willys last month. Those packages were not cheap.
Yeah, they are expensive but they always seem to have compelling reasons for it. Haha. Haven’t owned a Jeep for awhile and with all the steel in the bottom thought maybe the undercoating is a must as I live in Calgary and they put a lot of salt on the roads.

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
I would stay away, just say no and decline everything they are trying to sell you, as you know dealerships push these sort of items to generate more income as everything in the packages they will offer you is marked up! You can always shop afterwords on your own for anything you’d might be interested in adding to your jeep, you’ll have the opportunity to think about it a bit more and shop for best price, the forums has many vendors you can get quotes from for warranties etc etc best of luck and enjoy your new jeep!!

Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Santo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would stay away, just say no and decline everything they are trying to sell you, as you know dealerships push these sort of items to generate more income as everything in the packages they will offer you is marked up! You can always shop afterwords on your own for anything you’d might be interested in adding to your jeep, you’ll have the opportunity to think about it a bit more and shop for best price, the forums has many vendors you can get quotes from for warranties etc etc best of luck and enjoy your new jeep!!
Thanks, I guess these dealers are like corner grocery stores where you pay for convenience as you get them all done there.

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
Yeah, dealer add-on’s at the time of sale are just money-makers for the most part. Best to decline them and shop around after the fact if you think you may still want it later. And remember - if it is a taxable line item, it is always negotiable.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Nothing is “protected”. It’s just wax, ScotchGuard and an extremely overpriced insurance policy. Some things you are likely covered for already under your comprehensive. Don’t pay $2k for about $100 worth of product and labor.

When you get home, wax it yourself and lower the tire pressure to the recommended setting. Then clean all that greasy kid stuff “tire shine” off the tires and bumpers.

Do not buy tire and wheel “protection” or the nitrogen scam. Don’t buy unlimited car washes, lifetime oil changes or window tint from them. Politely decline. Tell them that you’ll assume the risk. They will show you how a factory wheel costs $800 or a new tire is $350. I just tell them, thank you but no.

On a side note. Everyone should have enough in savings at all times to buy at least a set of tires, cash. At a very minimum. There may well come a time when you are glad you did. The poor saps that get tangled up in these “plans” usually do so because the cost of paying for a non warranty repair would be beyond their very stretched budget.

I hate dealers, but it’s a necessary evil if you want a new vehicle. Remember, you are in control. They need you to sign those papers, in most cases you don’t need a brand new car.

Don’t forget to remind them of that if you have to, no matter how bad you love it and have to have it now, and have to have it fully modded on day one because you have 2 dozen boxes of crap piled up for it already. Tell them another dealer somewhere has one just like it, even though you already gave the damn thing a name and started a build thread.

Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Santo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing is “protected”. It’s just wax, ScotchGuard and an extremely overpriced insurance policy. Some things you are likely covered for already under your comprehensive. Don’t pay $2k for about $100 worth of product and labor.

When you get home, wax it yourself and lower the tire pressure to the recommended setting. Then clean all that greasy kid stuff “tire shine” off the tires and bumpers.

Do not buy tire and wheel “protection” or the nitrogen scam. Don’t buy unlimited car washes, lifetime oil changes or window tint from them. Politely decline. Tell them that you’ll assume the risk. They will show you how a factory wheel costs $800 or a new tire is $350. I just tell them, thank you but no.

On a side note. Everyone should have enough in savings at all times to buy at least a set of tires, cash. At a very minimum. There may well come a time when you are glad you did. The poor saps that get tangled up in these “plans” usually do so because the cost of paying for a non warranty repair would be beyond their very stretched budget.

I hate dealers, but it’s a necessary evil if you want a new vehicle. Remember, you are in control. They need you to sign those papers, in most cases you don’t need a brand new car.

Don’t forget to remind them of that if you have to, no matter how bad you love it and have to have it now, and have to have it fully modded on day one because you have 2 dozen boxes of crap piled up for it already. Tell them another dealer somewhere has one just like it, even though you already gave the damn thing a name and started a build thread.
Really good points! I have to remember about the tire pressure.

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Ours offered something for windshield and dents/dings. It was something like $8/month IIRC. I’ve had a Jeep prior and know that if it needs replaced more than 2x it’d be worth it since they’ll replace up to 5k worth of windshields. I’ve replaced 2 so far and have def got my moneys worth for that. Everything else was a no

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
I live in NW Indiana, AKA, the salt belt. Dealers will always try to sell the undercoating package and the data they use about how bad cars rust is from 1987 which means the data pool is all the cars built prior to 1987. Why is the data still from 1987 (35 years ago)? Well in 1987 the shift in the auto industry was to start using galvanized steel to make cars/trucks. Galvanized steel has a zinc coating which makes it rust resistant.

The dealer is being sneaky but still truthful this way. How else are they going to get you to pay for their snake oil?

desmo2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 TJ '97-'11. '21 billet silver JLR
I really liked my salesman when I ordered and bought my Jeep.

That good buying experience lasted right up until the finance guy pulled me into his office to try to sell me everything under the sun: financing through their company rather than the 0%/36 mo through Jeep, windshield protection, paint protection, undercoat protection, seat protection, extended service, etc.

I told him no to everything, and he got a little pissy about it. I didn't care and told him to get bent. I left that day with my new Jeep and spending exactly what I went in that morning knowing I was going to spend.

sailscall

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Sport 6MT
Do yourself a favor and get Krown Rust Control from your local shop in Calgary. I paid approx $135US last fall and thought it was a good value. They have a coupon on their website where you get a free rattle can of Krown as well.

I live in the snow belt of WNY. The town plow likes to dump the snow from our neighborhood’s cul de sac into the the apron of my driveway. In other words, I get an extra helping of snow mixed with salt and sand. I used the rattle can on my very rusty 20 year old 8HP Ariens two stage snow blower. The engine is black again the body work orange and I should be good for another 20 years.
Sponsored