Sponsored

Protection for Frame Underneath Wrangler Rubicon?

Humvee4us

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door
For a long time I was under the impression that rock sliders protected the Jeep's frame if sliding up or down a rock. Today, however, I learned that the rock sliders protect the Jeep's body if sliding up or down a rock. So what protects the Jeep's actual frame? I know there's skid plates but the frame is still exposed, is it not?
Sponsored

Atom631

First Name
Atom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
a good set of sliders will mount to the frame. so they would protect the frame between the wheels (although not entirely i suppose). a good set of skid plates will help as well and also protecti any cross-members, transmission, oil pain, tcase, fuel tank etc.

OP
OP

Humvee4us

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So rock sliders do sit below the actual frame beams that run alongside both sides of a Jeep?

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
There isn’t any need to “protect” the frame. It’s a large chunk of steel that slides nicely over rocks. Sliders are there to protect the body. Skids protect the gas tank, transmission, t-case, oil pan, etc.

OP
OP

Humvee4us

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is there something to protect the actual frame?

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
No, rock sliders are for protection of the body, pinch seam, prevent doors from being damaged and not opening, etc. Your frame is high strength steel, basically a rock slider in itself lol. There are other skid plates that protect the mechanical things that would prevent you from getting home if damaged (gas tank, transfer case, transmission, oil pan).

This stuff is fantastic for any rust that occurs from the painted surface scratches on the frame. I coat pretty much everything that rusts underneath and it stops it in its tracks. https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/stops-rust/rust-reformer

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
No, rock sliders are for protection of the body, pinch seam, prevent doors from being damaged and not opening, etc. Your frame is high strength steel, basically a rock slider in itself lol. There are other skid plates that protect the mechanical things that would prevent you from getting home if damaged (gas tank, transfer case, transmission, oil pan).

This stuff is fantastic for any rust that occurs from the painted surface scratches on the frame. I coat pretty much everything that rusts underneath and it stops it in its tracks. https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/stops-rust/rust-reformer
Top coat the rust reformer with this:

bsp.jpg

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
There’s a lot of things that hang lower than the frame that are much more susceptible to damage. There are all manner of things out there to strengthen and protect these components. Yet there isn’t anything to specifically protect or reinforce the frame. Why? Because the frame is the strongest part of the vehicle and isn’t likely to be damaged at all under any circumstances short of a major crash.

OP
OP

Humvee4us

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So say, for example, that way slide your way across a boulder higher than your ground clearance. What's going to come in contact? Is it the actual frame, or is it one of the skid plates?

OP
OP

Humvee4us

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm just wondering because when off-roading the spotters always teach you to place your front tire on the boulder and then slowly land on your rock rails and slode your way through the boulder. In this scenarioare you also scrapping the actual frame beams?

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Could be skid plates, or differentials (they are lowest), or control arms, or axles, or muffler, or rock sliders, or frame. Aftermarket skid plates do a good job of protecting the frame, but not on purpose. They’re there to protect vulnerable parts and the frame just happens to get more protection too.

OP
OP

Humvee4us

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been Googling photos of underbody protection and it appears as though typically the frame rails are exposed. Are there any skid plates that cover the frame rails as well?

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
I've been Googling photos of underbody protection and it appears as though typically the frame rails are exposed. Are there any skid plates that cover the frame rails as well?
There is no reason to put skids on the frame rails. Those are the strongest part of the Jeep. Why are you so worried about sliding on your frame? I’ve slid on my frame numerous times and it looks no worse for wear, only some paint missing. My skids and sliders show wear way more than the frame does.

OP
OP

Humvee4us

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've seen some pretty messed up frames after traversing the Rubicon Trail. Skid plates and rock sliders can be replaced, but the frame not so much.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
The frame is the least of your concerns...protect the belly, diffs, LCA mounts, and rear shock mounts. If you are damaging the frame you are seriously abusing your Jeep.
Sponsored