Sponsored

Protection for Frame Underneath Wrangler Rubicon?

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Must be some low hanging frames on the Rubicon... I have run it several times without damage to my frame other than some scrapes. As others have mentioned, the only place you can really hit the frame is between the wheels under the doors. Other than that, the frame is high above the wheels and rear bumper. Many of us run belly skids which protect the engine, oil pan, transmission, gas tank, and now secondary batteries. These actually attach to the bottom of the frame and will keep the paint from getting knocked off the frame. However, the skids will take some hits now as they slide over rocks if the rocks are big enough or the Jeep is low enough.
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I believe this is a troll job. I’m going to leave dude to his mission of finding suitable frame protection for the Rubicon Trail . Good luck, my man. :like:

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
You are worrying about something that you do not need to worry about. The frame is stout, you are not going to bend or warp it offroading by sliding on a boulder. Start worrying about when or where your JL is going to randomly break down on you.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

You are worrying about something that you do not need to worry about. The frame is stout, you are not going to bend or warp it offroading by sliding on a boulder. Start worrying about when or where your JL is going to randomly break down on you.
Seems to be true on this site. I am hoping to buck the trend with my JL. My TJ never gave me any mechanical or electrical problems even after I supercharged it. Granted the TJ did not have fancy electronics... Another reason I special ordered mine without the extra safety crap.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Seems to be true on this site. I am hoping to buck the trend with my JL. My TJ never gave me any mechanical or electrical problems even after I supercharged it. Granted the TJ did not have fancy electronics... Another reason I special ordered mine without the extra safety crap.
I honestly hope you have a mechanical issue free vehicle for many many years to come!

Sponsored

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
Must be some low hanging frames on the Rubicon... I have run it several times without damage to my frame other than some scrapes. As others have mentioned, the only place you can really hit the frame is between the wheels under the doors. Other than that, the frame is high above the wheels and rear bumper. Many of us run belly skids which protect the engine, oil pan, transmission, gas tank, and now secondary batteries. These actually attach to the bottom of the frame and will keep the paint from getting knocked off the frame. However, the skids will take some hits now as they slide over rocks if the rocks are big enough or the Jeep is low enough.
One thing has occurred to me as my wife and I plan our 2022 trip out West, many of the videos you see of people traversing the Rubicon trail on 37's where they get high centered, crease a door, break and axle etc. are people choosing more challenging lines. This tends to make people like me overthink things and go buy 12k winches (for example) :facepalm: Plenty of examples of people doing the trail in stock Rubicons with little to no damage. Maybe I'm wrong but choosing the line (and sometimes bypass) is the best 'protection'.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

One thing has occurred to me as my wife and I plan our 2022 trip out West, many of the videos you see of people traversing the Rubicon trail on 37's where they get high centered, crease a door, break and axle etc. are people choosing more challenging lines. This tends to make people like me overthink things and go buy 12k winches (for example) :facepalm: Plenty of examples of people doing the trail in stock Rubicons with little to no damage. Maybe I'm wrong but choosing the line (and sometimes bypass) is the best 'protection'.
A stock trail hawk Renegade and Cherokee have completed the Rubicon...

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

I don't believe that, I need proof.

We also saw a few being tested when they first came out. I have pics someplace of the Renegade. They drug it and took all the bypasses. I think they do that so they can call them "trail rated" The cherokees did fine, scrapped the crap out of their underbellies though

OP
OP

Humvee4us

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door

We also saw a few being tested when they first came out. I have pics someplace of the Renegade. They drug it and took all the bypasses. I think they do that so they can call them "trail rated" The cherokees did fine, scrapped the crap out of their underbellies though
Wow, it's true! Although if they took all the bypasses then it shouldn't really count.
Reminds me of when Land Rover tested their new Defender in Namibia and stacked rocks all along the pass so that the Defender could "make it."

Sponsored

track.n.trail

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Software Engineer
As others have said there is no need to protect the actual frame. Rock sliders protect your rocker panels (body under the doors, between the wheel wells) and skid plates protect the stuff between the frame rails (engine and transmission oil pans, gas tank, etc).

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
sometimes stuff breaks. i wouldn't worry about your frame. it will be the last thing to go.

what you should worry about: never go 4-wheeling alone. always have a group. look into the safety / equipment checklists.

DirtyCreeker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On order: 2021 JLU Rubicon
If you wanted to protect your frame, you could always weld on some diamond plate or something to it. I wouldn't try to bolt it on though, I'd think anything you'd hit that would potentially damage the frame would just shear a bolt.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
If you’re doing something that might damage the frame I suggest buying an old JK and just modify the heck out of it rather than destroying a $50,000 JL.
Sponsored