Sponsored

Protecting the body between rear bumper and fender flare?

James202198

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Willys
Occupation
F&I Manager at Jeep Dealership
Vehicle Showcase
I’m looking at getting some aftermarket steel bumpers but I’m wondering if anyone knows of any effective and clean looking way of protecting the body in this spot shown in the picture below.
Jeep Wrangler JL Protecting the body between rear bumper and fender flare? 4903E635-C8C4-4649-A2BD-B10AB7526907
Most bumpers don’t wrap around to protect it and it looks bad IMO and would like to figure out a solution, best thing I found was this rear fascia cover as seen below.
Jeep Wrangler JL Protecting the body between rear bumper and fender flare? 3864E978-625F-4618-B24E-A421E9D02A14

Jeep Wrangler JL Protecting the body between rear bumper and fender flare? B2332AAB-3CD5-4B8B-92CE-552FC8D6B1F6
But I’m not sold on ityet and was curious if anyone else has found a solution that may be better for function and or looks wise. Please lmk! Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
James202198

James202198

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I feel like hitting that spot is really difficult. I dont worry much about it.
Yes I agree but honestly it’s more the look that bothers me more so than be damaging it, I just feel like it looks unfinished and I’d rather clean the look up a bit.

OP
OP
James202198

James202198

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Yeah I saw those and considered them but they still don’t really clean the look up quite as much as I’d like… appreciate the response!
It was more about rock protection on mine, but...they made a significant visual change for me.

For me the visual problem was the color breakup between the fender flare & the rear bumper. the black on the fishbone guards added some visual continuity so that you don't really notice the gap between the bumper & fenders anymore.

OP
OP
James202198

James202198

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It was more about rock protection on mine, but...they made a significant visual change for me.

For me the visual problem was the color breakup between the fender flare & the rear bumper. the black on the fishbone guards added some visual continuity so that you don't really notice the gap between the bumper & fenders anymore.
That’s fair, may be what I ultimately do, just wanna see what other options may be out there.

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I've got the Rusty's cover kit and rear bumper. I really like the way it looks. The covers wrap under the vehicle as well and the metal is fairly thick. I would say they could take a bump or two, but I wouldn't slam the Jeep down on them. My only gripe is the bolts. I'm going to replace with black ones in due time. I don't mind drilling into the Jeep. I do live in Vegas, so rust isn't really a concern.

OP
OP
James202198

James202198

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If its cosmetic, just hit it with some paint. Pastidip if you don't want it to be permanent.
I've got the Rusty's cover kit and rear bumper. I really like the way it looks. The covers wrap under the vehicle as well and the metal is fairly thick. I would say they could take a bump or two, but I wouldn't slam the Jeep down on them. My only gripe is the bolts. I'm going to replace with black ones in due time. I don't mind drilling into the Jeep. I do live in Vegas, so rust isn't really a concern.
I thought about just doing like a spray on truck bed liner for it but I think I’m ultimately gonna do the rugged ridge Spartan rear bumper because it actually fills that spot pretty well.
Jeep Wrangler JL Protecting the body between rear bumper and fender flare? 902553A1-BF78-4E15-B03E-2E89A8F09935

Jeep Wrangler JL Protecting the body between rear bumper and fender flare? 27142A29-3D7F-44AB-BA07-A4AB52E6E52E

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I went with the Fishbone chip guards. The area is still a little naked looking, but it's better.

I dug through a bunch of photos of my Jeep, and I can't even really see the chip guards in any of them. I have no images worth posting.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I use an ACE Engineering rear bumper. It does a great job protecting that area. I have dropped down off ledges many many times. So many times, that the sound that it makes no longer bothers me. I don't think you can hurt this rear bumper. It never flexes, it is just down right tough. I think you could run it over with a tank and not be able to hurt it. I think you could pound on it with a sledge hammer and you could not hurt it. I am amazed at how well the finish has held up to the punishment that I have put it through. The fit and finish is great and the welds are beautiful.

Just know that if you do order one, expect to wait months.

Jeep Wrangler JL Protecting the body between rear bumper and fender flare? 1632318539605

OP
OP
James202198

James202198

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I use an ACE Engineering rear bumper. It does a great job protecting that area. I have dropped down off ledges many many times. So many times, that the sound that it makes no longer bothers me. I don't think you can hurt this rear bumper. It never flexes, it is just down right tough. I think you could run it over with a tank and not be able to hurt it. I think you could pound on it with a sledge hammer and you could not hurt it. I am amazed at how well the finish has held up to the punishment that I have put it through. The fit and finish is great and the welds are beautiful.

Just know that if you do order one, expect to wait months.

Jeep Wrangler JL Protecting the body between rear bumper and fender flare? 1632318539605
Thank you for that response! That’s definitely a good looking bumper that’s apparently quite protective, just a little out of my price point. I only do probably 70/30 onroad/off-road so I try to not get TOO crazy with the cost of my mods. Really tryna stay less than $500 on each bumper.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
I'd get a bumper that wraps around, otherwise I'd get that area sprayed with Linex.

OP
OP
James202198

James202198

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'd get a bumper that wraps around, otherwise I'd get that area sprayed with Linex.
Yeah that’s likely gonna be what I do… I’d most prefer a bumper that wraps around but if for whatever reason I don’t then linex would likely be the roughy I take for that little spot

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
You might be surprised at how expensive Line-X is. After you buy a $500 bumper and then Line-X the area, you might as well just ordered a better bumper. Getting a cheap bumper that flexes into the tub can be a costly repair.
Sponsored