Sponsored

Protecting doors from idiots door dinging you?

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I'm in total agreement wit the retribution approach. Only concern is that there are cameras everywhere these days. So what what ever you do in retaliation could very well wind up causing you a double whammy. Someone is always watching.
This is basically saying "I make my own rules fuckers! Deal with it!" Is that really how y'all want to live? Some other guy might think its ok to bash your face in because he thinks you were checking out his girl. Fair enough? Your neighbors might decide to trash your yard because they don't like the way your lifted bro-mobile looks from their breakfast nook. No problems there? Maybe someone at school thinks your daughter is a bitch and bullies her. You cool with that?

Maybe that's all cool because you can just retaliate to their retaliation. Then the terrorists win.
Sponsored

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
I was joking, lighten up. But humor does have an element of truth to it and I do wonder... ;) I have to laugh at those with more sympathy to the door dinger then the perp teaching property damagers a lesson. Is it wrong to do this, YES, do I wring my hands over over the lesson being taught....heck no. lol
Honestly, how difficult is it to do the right thing?Don’t damage property.
If you receive damage you can talk to the driver or file a claim. Like an adult :idea:

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
My tires stick out so much it protects the fenders and Mopar tubes protect the side unless something pulls up next to me taller.

IMG_20190724_155439.jpg

IMG_20190709_145733.jpg
Very nice, but unfortunately in my state if you tires stick out past your fenders or fender flares, then you get pulled over!!! :angry:

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
I agree, kids getting out of the rear of a vehicle are a big concern. I don't see how rock sliders, side steps, or any other common vehicle accessory will prevent these dings. Look at the shape of the rear door:

2018-Hyundai-Accent-Blue-Doors-Open-FLIPPED.png
My WRX and F150 are magnets for door dings....every panel on my Subie has been painted at least once. It's sad.

People suck anymore....especially when it comes to giving a hoot about others peoples property. The shape of the doors on modern cars does not help.
The thing that kills me is that they don't even give a crap that they do it....when confronted, there is a amazing level of apathy in their response. Often they will refuse to give insurance information until I threaten to call the police.
Waiting for the offender is all in the past though...With the increasing number of bat-$#!t crazy people out there. I usually just take my lumps and move on. Better (cheaper) than getting shot or in a physical altercation.

I totally understand those who would take retaliation though.....just do it discretely. Big Brother is watching everywhere

I hate careless idiots as much as the next guy, but sometimes shit happens.

I was at Home Depot in my wife’s Yukon XL. It was very windy. I opened the rear passenger door to move some crap so I could lower the seat and the wind took the door. I caught it, but not before it made contact with the SUV next to me. Owner was in it. I felt like shit. He opened his door and came out, and I profusely apologized. He barely even glanced at his vehicle to look for damage and then just waved it off. “No problem.” I still felt like shit, but am appreciative that he just shrugged it off. (I could see where my door made contact, but it wasn’t even a ding - just a mark.)

Another time, when my son was little, he flung open the door into an old pickup that was next to us. Nice ding. I showed him what his carelessness had caused and he burst into tears (I think he was like 8.) Took out a business card, wrote down what happened on the back, put under the guy’s wiper. He never called. (It was an old, beat truck.) Kiddo learned the right thing to do when you fuck up, anyway.
Since my kid has been opening her own door....we have had an understanding (well at least I had an understanding). If she dinged someones door....it comes out of her allowance. And it takes a long time to pay back a $500 deductible at $10 per week. Never had a problem after that conversation.

Actually, it was pretty funny a few days ago when she freaked out that someone dinged her car door. She kinda gets it now, why I defensively park.

At least we have a good relationship with the paintless dent guy. LOL

Doc

Sponsored

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
People’s blasé attitude toward damaging someone else’s property shows a moral deficit in society.
People having extreme overreactions is a national crisis.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I'm in total agreement wit the retribution approach. Only concern is that there are cameras everywhere these days. So what what ever you do in retaliation could very well wind up causing you a double whammy. Someone is always watching.
Just be sure to make it LOOK like an accident. ;)

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Exactly. People need to grow the hell up.
Yes people who ding doors and dont care to leave a note should grow up and be responsible. Double for those that park next to vehicles trying to escape idiots.....triple for those that park next to them and ding there door.

;)

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
My WRX and F150 are magnets for door dings....every panel on my Subie has been painted at least once. It's sad.

People suck anymore....especially when it comes to giving a hoot about others peoples property. The shape of the doors on modern cars does not help.
The thing that kills me is that they don't even give a crap that they do it....when confronted, there is a amazing level of apathy in their response. Often they will refuse to give insurance information until I threaten to call the police.
Waiting for the offender is all in the past though...With the increasing number of bat-$#!t crazy people out there. I usually just take my lumps and move on. Better (cheaper) than getting shot or in a physical altercation.

I totally understand those who would take retaliation though.....just do it discretely. Big Brother is watching everywhere

Since my kid has been opening her own door....we have had an understanding (well at least I had an understanding). If she dinged someones door....it comes out of her allowance. And it takes a long time to pay back a $500 deductible at $10 per week. Never had a problem after that conversation.

Actually, it was pretty funny a few days ago when she freaked out that someone dinged her car door. She kinda gets it now, why I defensively park.

At least we have a good relationship with the paintless dent guy. LOL

Doc
I have rockers on my jeep and bought them for several reasons. Door dings from the careless lame-oz, rocks getting kicked up from the front tire and of course the biggy -off road protection.

I still park away from the lame-oz but sometimes you can't and while not 100% the rockers will protect quite a bit.

If nothing else this thread has taught those that have more sympathy for the lame-oz, there are guys out there willing to give lessons...so be careful out there and remember if you accidentally nail the car next to you ---to be adult and write a note. ;)

Sponsored

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
My tires stick out so much it protects the fenders and Mopar tubes protect the side unless something pulls up next to me taller.

IMG_20190724_155439.jpg

IMG_20190709_145733.jpg
When I have to park around others I defensively put a tire to where their door will open. It works well until you come back to a super duty bro truck with a foot of lift to fit 35s.