Sponsored

Protecting doors from idiots door dinging you?

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
If you’re enough of a psycho to kick in someone’s door or pour soda into a gas tank over a door ding, you should seriously seek help and only park on the moon.

Confront the person or call the cops. Don’t move you vehicle. If their door lines up with your dent, they’re liable and: a) their insurance pays for your damages b) they pay c) you take them to small claims court. I’m appaled by people damaging other’s property and I’m fine with street justice, but it needs to be within the bounds of sanity.

I used to handle insurance claims. If the offender denied it, we would send out an appraiser to take measurements. If the damage lined up, we wrote a check.

Sidesteps/sliders will block some door strikes, but not all. It depends on the distance your step protrudes, the height of your Jeep and the shape/height of the door of the adjacent vehicle. As shown by others, some rear doors seem to be custom designed to inflict damage.
Sponsored

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
For the city dwellers, I understand that all of the people living and driving with you have stellar insurance on their cars. I also understand that calling a police officer for a high priority call, to file a report for a dented scratched door is a simple and quick process. I also understand the people in high densely populated Utopian areas do not mind a little confrontation regarding their poor behaviors. That said it is a little different in the rural areas of the United States. As for an insurance claim I sure the insurance will understand and fix my truck less my $1000 deductible and increase premium. The repair with paint to match is only $784.00. No problem! I really should have just blown it off. I have learned so much form this thread, thank you. I really hope to park near you soon

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
The minimum property damage liability coverage in the state of Tennessee is $15,000, which is $14,216 in excess of your cost for repairs under their policy. That’s not stellar insurance. That’s the bare minimum allowable in your state… and it’s actually $5k higher than the minimum in NYS.

It’s possible they didn’t have insurance, but it’s unlikely. I’m glad you’re happy with your decision not to just stick around and find out. Something about the fact that you had it appraised leads me to believe you don’t really laugh every time you look at it.

I’m honestly confused by the comment about people in more populated areas not minding confrontation.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
For the city dwellers, I understand that all of the people living and driving with you have stellar insurance on their cars. I also understand that calling a police officer for a high priority call, to file a report for a dented scratched door is a simple and quick process. I also understand the people in high densely populated Utopian areas do not mind a little confrontation regarding their poor behaviors. That said it is a little different in the rural areas of the United States. As for an insurance claim I sure the insurance will understand and fix my truck less my $1000 deductible and increase premium. The repair with paint to match is only $784.00. No problem! I really should have just blown it off. I have learned so much form this thread, thank you. I really hope to park near you soon
No, you’re just a jackass.

JLU-Riptide

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Upgraded rock rails and extra large tires will ensure they can't get close enough to ding you. Then if you park ON the curb, you're golden :LOL:

Sponsored

Supercharged

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, Pontiac G8 GT, GMC Acadia
The Rubi rails probably won't protect much, but something like the Ace sliders or similar will definitely protect your paint.

20180813_173932.jpg

Actually, I think the Rubi rails should protect from dings as well, depending on the door height of the ding-bat.

Ace sliders. (I recommend looking at a better brand tho). Ace's engineering/manufacturing is dubious.

20180902_150433.jpg
Yes, this is one of the reasons I went with Ace, my wife and son use them to get in and out as well.

Huehue80

First Name
Cohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
So funny story about parking to close. I own a 2012 Camaro, I park in a underground parking garage on the lowest level where only employees of the complex park. I parked backed into the stall And went to work for the next 9 hours. As leaving the parking garage I get a text from a buddy with this picture.

This punk parked right next to me so close he had to exit his vehicle through the passenger side. Funny thing is I never saw him. He did this then came back hours later and found that my car hadn't moved. He then had to climb back into his car through the passenger side again. The Camaro had no damage but I still looked for this car for the next few weeks. I never saw the car again.

I know I was over the line of the parking stall. But behind the car is a fenced area that pushes into the stall a bit so this is pretty much how you have to park. Also this parking garage is almost always empty. He could have literally chose a half dozen other spaces that were closer to the exit. Also why didn't he back in. That's why it was really funny that he pulled straight in and had to exit through the passenger side.

Just knowing that guy had to climb over the center console twice is priceless.

D0B74DC6-1A47-4EBE-8C60-4888F9F1B43E.jpeg

Last edited:

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
So funny story about parking to close. I own a 2012 Camaro, I park in a underground parking garage on the lowest level where only employees of the complex park. I parked as usual by backing into the stall And went to work for the next 9 hours. As leaving the parking garage I get a text from a buddy with this picture.

This asshole parked right next to me so close he had to exit his vehicle through the passenger side. Funny thing is I never saw him. He did this then came back hours later and found that my car hadn't moved. He then had to climb back into his car through the passenger side again. The Camaro had no damage but I still looked for this car for the next few weeks to possibly remove two or more tire valves. I never saw the car again.

I know I was over the line of the parking stall. But behind the car is a fenced area that pushes into the stall a bit so this is pretty much how you have to park. Also this parking garage is almost always empty. He could have literally chose a half dozen other spaces that were closer to the exit.

Just knowing that guy had to climb over the center console twice is priceless.

D0B74DC6-1A47-4EBE-8C60-4888F9F1B43E.jpeg
I would have backed in, inches from your door, with my truck. Then taken a photo of it. Touch the truck and you would be toast. Moral of the story, learn to park, or get use to climbing over the shifter.

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase

Sandow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Firecracker Red 2 DR Rubicon
Recently coming from a lowered Audi RS5, my advice is "do it". While I miss the performance, the exhaust note, and outright oh shit responses the Audi got. I find I am much more relaxed in the Jeep. I'm not in as much of a hurry, my right foot doesn't get as tired...., and while before I knew where every road dip was, had to be constantly aware of potholes (30 series tires), and hit speed bumps at 3 mph - with the Jeep, no fox are given. I can park where I want, don't have to be worried about curb rash, and I can take the friggen doors off!!
Anyway, to your original question - I'm looking at the Roam side steps. They provide a nice step up into the jeep, look pretty good, and extend far enough out to deter any door dings.
I feel the exact same as you do. I came from a BMW M4, and I loved that car, but I never truly enjoyed it. I was constantly worried about every little thing with it. Having to avoid every little bump, crack, pothole on the roads. Making sure it was spotless all the time, only drove it on nice sunny days, and never in the winter. I enjoy my Rubicon so much more, and don't worry about the above mentioned things. Well, I am very OCD about keeping it spotless, but I have the top off all the time and thoroughly enjoy driving it without having to worry about every little bump on the roads.

Sponsored

Huehue80

First Name
Cohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
and you called him an asshole.....
As I said the parking garage was empty and if you see there is a fence that intrudes into the stall, you can't park right in the middle. Also there is a empty stall right next to him. I park elsewhere now. I just thought it was funny that I never saw this. I'm not a asshole so i never park next to someone like this ever. And if anyone makes a effort to they are a asshole. Or damages anyone's car doing this.

Just park elsewhere. If I was a asshole I would have just parked right in the middle of both stalls.

Huehue80

First Name
Cohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
I would have backed in, inches from your door, with my truck. Then taken a photo of it. Touch the truck and you would be toast. Moral of the story, learn to park, or get use to climbing over the shifter.

Knowing what you would do. I never knew that there were so many punks on this forum. If you purposely park that close in an empty parking garage, with so many empty stalls you deserve any damage you get. I now make sure if I park any of my vehicles anywhere they are far away.

I know parking over the line is a punk move and never really do it. But to park like you said is worse. Then threaten people if you park within inches that your truck doesn't get messed with is much worse.

Also why didn't he back in, that's the funny part

Last edited:

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Rubicon, '10 Tahoe PPV, '04 Colorado ZQ8
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
When I was in Bardstown KY I found a door ding on my Dodge Ram. Mind you I was parked on the end of a parking row as far way from the door as possible. This @sshole parked super close and dinged my door and had my paint transfer on his door. There was many other places to park much closer to the store. I took my foot and caved in the passenger door of the offending vehicle and drove off happy with myself. Now every time I wash my truck I laugh at my door ding.
I'm glad I'm not the only one to think and pay it forward like that.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Knowing what you would do. I never knew that there were so many punks on this forum. If you purposely park that close in an empty parking garage, with so many empty stalls you deserve any damage you get. I now make sure if I park any of my vehicles anywhere they are far away.

I know parking over the line is a punk move and never really do it. But to park like you said is worse. Then threaten people if you park within inches that your truck doesn't get messed with is much worse.

Also why didn't he back in, that's the funny part
i wouldnt do it, if the garage was empty, but if it was a heavily used parking garage, game on. just understand, most people view the way you parked about as aggravating as someone who parks in a handicapped space, when they arent handicapped.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Why do I get the feeling some of the whiners yapping about guys teaching dicks a lesson might be the biggest culprit of door dinging. ;)

A LONG time ago I parked my rig far FAR away from anyone and walked my arse off to the restaurant, came back to find a still empty lot with one guy/gal parked next to me. Yup the guy/gal dinged up my new rig. No note, no nothing. The guy/gal was taught a lesson 5 fold.

It was a long time ago and if it happened again I dont know that I would do it again but I still look back on that time and still pretty happy about it. Someone intentionally parking close to you in an empty lot, dinging your door is begging for lessons.

The question is did they get taught a lesson or not. Thinking probably not for many. Probably just dont care about your property and maybe not even theirs.
Sponsored