Sponsored

Protecting doors from idiots door dinging you?

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Minivans have sliding doors though, that's probably the safest thing to park next to.
I'm not worried about the sliding door. It is the distracted parents exiting the two front doors with screaming kids in the back as they are posting on FB at the same time. I was sitting in a previous vehicle years ago in a parking lot and it was dinged by a minivan. They said it wasn't them, even though I was in my car, I heard the wham, and when I showed them by opening their door and it lined up perfectly, including the same paint transfer. Idiots.

garfieldtcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon
I had a new A4 once that was parked at a commuter rail station. People are always in a mad hurry to make the train, and the lot was always full, so door dings were common. One day though I came back to the car and the passenger door was caved in. It was a windy day, so I think somebodies door got caught by the wind and driven into my door. No note and the car parked next to me didn't have any paint transfer, so I guess the person that did it bailed. Cost $1800 to fix. I'm still pissed about that one.

Some jackass kid threw a snowball at my 2 week old 4Runner once when I was driving to work and dented the side door. I stopped but he took off and I never saw him again. It was just a tiny dent that I didn't get fixed, but it annoyed me every time I saw it.

I had a neighbor that was using a snow blower in his driveway when I was driving home from work one day. As I was passing his house, he decided to turn his blower around at the worst possible time and shot a mountain of snow right onto my windshield. The windshield survived without any damage but a rock or something in the snow dented the windshield frame. The poor guy was in his 70s, out in -10 degree weather with a snow blower, so I didn't make a fuss about it. That was a Lexus GX that was getting old, so I cared a lot less about it.

I used to have a Mitsubishi Montero decades ago now and was sitting in it in a parking lot one day. Some idiot took a wide turn into the spot next to me and crashed into me. They somehow managed to only hit the tire, which destroyed their front bumper. No damage to my car. The people in that car were absolute trash, fighting between themselves about the damaged bumper. Didn't care about my car at all. I got out and laughed at them, which strangely calmed the situation.

I was parked at work once and I came out a ding in the door of my Mustang. It wasn't dented but had some paint taken off. The car next to me had paint transfer on it, so I knew they did it. I knew the owner too. It was one of the directors cars, who I knew really well. He's a good guy, so I'm sure he didn't know he did it. He was good to me throughout my career and I like the guy, so I left it slide and didn't say anything to him.

Obligatory

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
It's hard to get a ding from sliding doors
I'm not worried about the sliding door. It is the distracted parents exiting the two front doors with screaming kids in the back as they are posting on FB at the same time. I was sitting in a previous vehicle years ago in a parking lot and it was dinged by a minivan. They said it wasn't them, even though I was in my car, I heard the wham, and when I showed them by opening their door and it lined up perfectly, including the same paint transfer.

42circle

First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
This is the exact feeling I want. You described my “angst”. Before this 4 series I had a 2014 Porsche, and boy did I suffer that car. I sure enjoyed driving it, but I suffered “owning” it, and caring for it.

I am so past this...

Wrangler also kinda match me as a person. I’m not a rugged outdoors guy, but I have been compared to a Spanish-wreck-it-Ralph more than once.

I can’t wait to make a decision between a Sahara and Rubicon tho!!!

I’ll be posting soon about this!
Go with the Rubicon, I absolutely LOVE my JLUR and the lockers/axel upgrades are definitely worth the money. Any of the creature comforts of a Sahara can be optioned anyways.

RMojitoJL

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon *Mojito*, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude, 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Occupation
Loan Officer
Vehicle Showcase
Get some rock rails or side steps. Average passenger doors wont clear over them when they open them, and if they happen to his anything it'll be a steal step/rail... not your paint :like:

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Seriously, y'all. This is so easy. Drive to Home Depot or Harbor Freight and buy a hammer. Keep it in the trunk just in case your vehicle is violated. Back in the day, I had long hair and a shorter
man-who-destroyed-bmw-m6-with-a-sledgehammer-apparently-rented-the-car-67250_1.png
temper. Some turd in a BMW drove into a puddle splashing dirty water onto my ride. Here I am with my buddy dishing out some Sweet Parking Lot Justice.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Seriously, y'all. This is so easy. Drive to Home Depot or Harbor Freight and buy a hammer. Keep it in the trunk just in case your vehicle is violated. Back in the day, I had long hair and a shorter
man-who-destroyed-bmw-m6-with-a-sledgehammer-apparently-rented-the-car-67250_1.png
temper. Some turd in a BMW drove into a puddle splashing dirty water onto my ride. Here I am with my buddy dishing out some Sweet Parking Lot Justice.
Did you used to be Sammy Hagar?

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
My GoRhino Steps/Sliders (with removable drop steps) will stop 99% of any doors dings, and if a door does make contact I did a full 3M paint protection Wrap Now my Wrangler is door ding, rock chip and scratch protected. I go down trails and overgrown dirt roads brush branches will now not scratch, just the last 60 days more than 100 miles of gravel roads not a single rock chip and paint still likes like I just drove it off the lot.

IMG_0719_zpsu91jy4i0.jpg

Mudflaps%203_zpsitvrkcmx.jpg

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Today some idiot dinged my bmws door today, and left a mark... oh boy... I’m so pissed...

How much of an idiot do you have to be to simply bang another car without a single “f” given??!!

Anyways...

I’ve been lurking these forums, and watching Jeep videos on YouTube nonstop, and I think this just put me over the edge.

I think it’s time I get rid of my 4 series, I arm myself with a Jeep, and become the terror of door bangers.

Aside of the side step, what else can we put in our jeeps to it leaves a scar on whoever hit us???

How are you protecting your ride from these inconsiderate idiots?
Lift it and put some real rock sliders on and you are out of harms way.

offset_98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1993 Nissan 300ZX, 2015 Subaru Outback, 2011 Toyota Sienna
Avoid parking next to minivans at all costs.
Wrong. This is safe. I watch my own kids yank the handle and know the door would fly if it didn't slide. Minivans are kid safe from dents.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Wrong. This is safe. I watch my own kids yank the handle and know the door would fly if it didn't slide. Minivans are kid safe from dents.
I'm not worried about the sliding door or the kids. It is the distracted parents exiting the two front doors with screaming kids in the back as they are posting on FB at the same time. I was sitting in a previous vehicle years ago in a parking lot and it was dinged by a minivan. They said it wasn't them, even though I was in my car, I heard the wham, and when I showed them by opening their door and it lined up perfectly, including the same paint transfer.