Protecting and caring for your Jeep advice

Sine Language

First Name
Nash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
So after a ton of research, I finally put in my custom order for a JLUR with a 3.6L engine and sky-one power touch. This will be the first jeep I have ever owned and plan to keep it for a long time. Aside from the general maintenance of a vehicle (oil changes, air filters, tire rotations, fluid), I don't really know or rather have experience in maintaining a Jeep that will see its share of dirt and snow roads.

I've looked at some of the posts and the one definite I know to do is to get Bestop Twill Protectant for the top. I'm looking for advice on what other extra care steps I should take for the jeep, as all the cars I've had before this I just ran them through a car wash and maybe get detailed every few years. Fairly sure that isn't going to cut it for a Jeep :CWL:.
Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Turtle wax ice spray wax each wash, 303 aerospace protectant, and Meguiars Curbanna wax (for the twice a year good wax job) and good wash mit

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
OP, I am also a Jeep newbie. That said, about the only “Jeep specific” maintenance advice that I have received is to get the underbelly of your Jeep washed out regularly —- especially if off-roading in any kind of muddy terrain. Here in TX, the “wet/muddy” trails will hurl lots of junk up under your Jeep and when this TX dirt dries, it turns to concrete in a couple of days. So, consider hitting the trails and, if possible, at the end of the day (or end of the excursion) make your way into town, find a self wash joint, and blast the crap out of the underbelly of your Jeep..... get all the dirt outta there.

As a newbie, I was amazed at how much dirt/clay/pebbles fell out of mine.......

ely-bound

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'83 FJ60, '19 JLUR 3.6 MT
N,
One of things I do each fall before the snow and ice arrives is 'fluid film' the under side. It's fairly inexpensive protection and the start up cost is minimal if you have a decent air compressor. I put the JLUR up on four automotive ramps, and spray about half a gallon of fluid film in the rails, and on anything metal, painted or otherwise, excluding the brake rotors and exhaust. It's a miserable job for an hour or two, but I think it helps keep the rust away.

Good luck and congrats on placing your order.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Regularly checking/maintaining proper torque of all steering and suspension bits is a highly recommended thing for any vehicle that is used off road. Visual checks and getting a little hands on is a good habit that'll help you catch something before a complete failure gets you stranded. A hands on example would be to try shaking the driveshaft up and down near all u-joints. If you feel any movement, you'll know then, rather than be surprised later at an inopportune time.

I'm still a noob who just past his one year anniversary of Wrangler ownership, so hopefully some of the vets will chime in with more.

Congratulations and welcome to the community, Jeeper!

jespey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR White; 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Turtle Wax Ice. You can spray it on the entire car, including windows and the black plastic, sun or shade. Spray, wipe on, wipe off. 10 minutes to do the entire Jeep. Water beads nicely. Run your microfiber towel along a section first. Do the same after applying and wiping off the ice. You will definitely notice the difference.
A bottle lasts a long time.

OP
OP

Sine Language

First Name
Nash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Thanks everyone for the advice so far. So definitely looks like I should add Turtle Wax Ice onto my shopping list. How often should this be applied? One person mentioned after every wash but that seems excessive, although I've never used the stuff.

Newfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jl, 07 Ram 3500, 13 CRV
Living near the ocean, I rustproofed my vehicles that I keep long, regular wash and fluid film undercarriage. My Ram is 13 years with no rust, like new underneath and they treat the roads with alot of corrosive shit here in the winter.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks everyone for the advice so far. So definitely looks like I should add Turtle Wax Ice onto my shopping list. How often should this be applied? One person mentioned after every wash but that seems excessive, although I've never used the stuff.
Get yourself one of these....

F4C9E950-D6F7-41A3-B906-7AB8E1F4A77E.jpeg

Less than a couple hundred bucks at the Lowe’s. It’s 2000psi, so it’s powerful enough to get the mud off but won’t hurt the finish. Also it’s a lot more convenient for me than dragging out my big industrial one, lol. I just have a little plastic tool shed up against my house by the hose bib to put it in. I leave it hooked up, all I do is plug it in and go......:)

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
So after a ton of research, I finally put in my custom order for a JLUR with a 3.6L engine and sky-one power touch. This will be the first jeep I have ever owned and plan to keep it for a long time. Aside from the general maintenance of a vehicle (oil changes, air filters, tire rotations, fluid), I don't really know or rather have experience in maintaining a Jeep that will see its share of dirt and snow roads.

I've looked at some of the posts and the one definite I know to do is to get Bestop Twill Protectant for the top. I'm looking for advice on what other extra care steps I should take for the jeep, as all the cars I've had before this I just ran them through a car wash and maybe get detailed every few years. Fairly sure that isn't going to cut it for a Jeep :CWL:.
Let me take the opposite approach to your question of what's indicated; in other words what's contraindicated.

Please do not, as many of us agree on, use Armor All on the soft top. It will make it worse.

Formula 303 for fabric, as recommended above though, is great at keeping dirt away from the soft top.

jespey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR White; 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
I do it after every fourth wash or so. It takes me about the same time as it does to towel dry the Jeep

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Something I do is every six months I take the clay bar to the paint for a good surface cleanup then wax.

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
I work 6 days a week so I went a different route and had a life time ceramic coating put on by Ceramic Pros. Now I just wipe down the inside and a quick Vac and dress the tires and fender wells about twice a month for about an hour each time

I also have a cordless blower and only use the touchless drive thru car wash so when I pull out I just do a walk around with the blower and it's done

Time is money so no need for waxes or finishing sprays ever again ,,,,

JeepG_1.jpg

JeepG_4.jpg

JeepG_7.jpg

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
Here's some good info for what it's worth ...

Sponsored