Pros/cons of the 2" Mopar lift installed from the dealer

jmm11116

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm about to buy my first new vehicle and first Jeep in a couple months, so I'm new to the whole process. I'm going to get a JLUR with the 3.6 and automatic transmission. I see some people are getting the 2" Mopar lift from the dealership but I'm seeing a lot of mixed reviews about it; seems like it pretty much depends on the Tech who installs it, so if it helps with your answer, I'm probably going to buy the Jeep from Gupton Motors in Tennessee . I don't have any experience with lifts other than the basics from watching YouTube videos so my thread topic is this:

What are the benefits of having the dealer installed lift and is it worth it with cost versus quality?

Some other questions to get the party started:
-How much is it?
-How do I even buy it? I haven't seen anything about it on Jeep.com so I'm guessing I just ask the dealer to add it on?
-Is it covered under warranty? I would imagine so which is probably why it has so much appeal from others.
-If I keep the stock wheels, what width 35" tire can I put on it to get full articulation?
--Bonus question: How are people getting the dealer to install 35's on their Jeeps at delivery? Are they buying the tires and bringing them there for install? Do the dealers have a good discount on tires and offer that discount to their customers?
-Is it even worth getting a lift if I can fit 35" tires on stock rims and get full articulation, keeping in mind that I'm not getting any more ground clearance and I'm wanting to keep my CG as low as possible?

Any insight is great! I have plenty of time to decide and do research so if you have any other recommendations for lifts or anything that's going to help me out, I would appreciate it!
Sponsored

Billkowski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 80th 2D 3.6 Etorque, 2023 JT Mojave
I'm about to buy my first new vehicle and first Jeep in a couple months, so I'm new to the whole process. I'm going to get a JLUR with the 3.6 and automatic transmission. I see some people are getting the 2" Mopar lift from the dealership but I'm seeing a lot of mixed reviews about it; seems like it pretty much depends on the Tech who installs it, so if it helps with your answer, I'm probably going to buy the Jeep from Gupton Motors in Tennessee . I don't have any experience with lifts other than the basics from watching YouTube videos so my thread topic is this:

What are the benefits of having the dealer installed lift and is it worth it with cost versus quality?

-How much is it?
-How do I even buy it? I haven't seen anything about it on Jeep.com so I'm guessing I just ask the dealer to add it on?
-Is it covered under warranty? I would imagine so which is probably why it has so much appeal from others.
-If I keep the stock wheels, what width 35" tire can I put on it to get full articulation?
--Bonus question: How are people getting the dealer to install 35's on their Jeeps at delivery? Are they buying the tires and bringing them there for install? Do the dealers have a good discount on tires and offer that discount to their customers?
-Is it even worth getting a lift if I can fit 35" tires on stock rims and get full articulation, keeping in mind that I'm not getting any more ground clearance and I'm wanting to keep my CG as low as possible?

Any insight is great! I have plenty of time to decide and do research so if you have any other recommendations for lifts or anything that's going to help me out, I would appreciate it!
Keep in mind the bigger tires give you more ground clearance, the lift gives you more articulation.

Sethward01

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Picking up my new 4xe this Saturday. Plan on upgrading to 35s. Ordered the Mopar 2" lift, but for the 4xe, its back ordered though at least mid-July. Price was about $1400 for the lift, plus install. I plan on ordering new wheels and tires in the next week or so and taking them to a local place to get mounted. Havent decided if I want to put the 35s on my Jeep before the lift arrives/install, or just drive it stock and have techs put the new wheels and tires on after they install the lift. My salesman said it wouldnt be an issue for the techs at the service dept to put the new wheels/tires on. I have read on here the 2" Mopar lift keeps the warranty intact, which is a necessity. I have also read on here the 4xe is about 1" taller than Wrangler Sports due to the weight and larger/stiffer springs. And the Mopar lift may actually net closer to 2.5" of lift. As long as you've got enough offset (mine are -18), then you should be good without too much rub, unless you are doing off-roading that requires full articulation.

Last edited:

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD

-How much is it?

I haven't done this myself, but I can give you some responses based on things I've read.

How much is it?
-Cost of the lift + cost of the install. So $1700 + labor. I've seen $700 tossed around more than once. I think more than $2500 and you're paying too much.

How do I even buy it?
- Talk to your dealer. They should be able to install before delivery, and I believe it can be rolled in with financing.

Is it covered under warranty?
- Yes, that's part of the appeal.

How are people getting the dealer to install 35's on their Jeeps at delivery?
- Again, talk to your dealer. From what I understand dealer pricing is not normally competitive on tires. You may be better suited to order tires elsewhere and drive the jeep down the road to get new tires installed.

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Note that there are tons of reports of people actually getting closer to 3-3.5" from this lift. Probably fine if you were going for 35s anyways, but good to note.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
There are much better options available for equal or less money. The Mopar lift is missing several components to dial in your suspension. Check out Rock Krawler or Metalcloak for lifts that will outperform the Mopar on and off road.

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
Is it even worth getting a lift if I can fit 35" tires on stock rims and get full articulation, keeping in mind that I'm not getting any more ground clearance and I'm wanting to keep my CG as low as possible?
Ground clearance is more than just a single number. Yes, only tire size affects ground clearance under the differential. But clearing the undercarriage over obstacles is much more than that.

The Wrangler Unlimited in the stock configuration is more limited by breakover angle than by anything else. You'll tend to hang up that long center while going over obstacles. Lifting the suspension improves this.

Not to mention, as others did, that a lift improves the amount of suspension travel you get, and with it, the articulation at each corner.

OP
OP
jmm11116

jmm11116

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks for all the replies.

So what I'm starting to get is that I should probably hold off on the lift, at least for now. I'm kind of leaning toward driving the Rubicon stock, maybe putting on some 35s, and once the warranty wears off, go with an aftermarket suspension.

My intent for this vehicle is to be a daily driver that I can take my kids to school in while also being able to take them camping, possibly with a roof-top tent. I live in the panhandle of Florida so there aren't any crazy obstacles in my region of the US. I'm planning on taking a road trip out west possibly a couple years down the road and making somewhat of a tradition out of it so I may do the upgrades before then but before that, probably leaving it relatively stock.

From what I'm gathering from other threads, 35s should mount easily on the stock wheels so long as I keep the width at 11.5 inches. I've heard that 12.5" is possible but not entirely recommended. The sand around me is pretty fine and soft so do yall think I will have enough traction on the beach with the 11.5" width after I air down or should I do the 12.5, knowing I will need new wheels? The plan eventually is to get new wheels but not right out of the gate. My plan for wheels and tires is pretty fluid but goes something like this: swap 33" for 35", once 35" wears out, buy new wheels and new 35" tires, maybe 37", and upgrade suspension and lift.

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

So what I'm starting to get is that I should probably hold off on the lift, at least for now. I'm kind of leaning toward driving the Rubicon stock, maybe putting on some 35s, and once the warranty wears off, go with an aftermarket suspension.

My intent for this vehicle is to be a daily driver that I can take my kids to school in while also being able to take them camping, possibly with a roof-top tent. I live in the panhandle of Florida so there aren't any crazy obstacles in my region of the US. I'm planning on taking a road trip out west possibly a couple years down the road and making somewhat of a tradition out of it so I may do the upgrades before then but before that, probably leaving it relatively stock.

From what I'm gathering from other threads, 35s should mount easily on the stock wheels so long as I keep the width at 11.5 inches. I've heard that 12.5" is possible but not entirely recommended. The sand around me is pretty fine and soft so do yall think I will have enough traction on the beach with the 11.5" width after I air down or should I do the 12.5, knowing I will need new wheels? The plan eventually is to get new wheels but not right out of the gate. My plan for wheels and tires is pretty fluid but goes something like this: swap 33" for 35", once 35" wears out, buy new wheels and new 35" tires, maybe 37", and upgrade suspension and lift.
I'm coming from a 3" lifted GMC Sierra on 33s, and I'd like to keep the same ride height. Here's what I'm doing (I ordered my Sahara Altitude last week)

I have ~$3K set aside, reserved specifically for "ride": wheels, tires, lift, suspension, etc. Obviously not enough to do all of it, but enough to pick whichever combination of those is going to give me a similar ride to my truck (though smoother, I love my truck but it's an '07 on a Rough Country lift kit. A smooth ride he is not).

When I take delivery, I'm going to drive it stock for a month. Get the feel for it, maybe hit up a few meetups, etc. After that month, I'll have a much better idea as to what, exactly, I'm wanting. I doubt I'll go to 35's, but who knows.

YMMV, just thought I'd share what I'm planning, as it seems we have similar planned use-cases.

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
Here's what Mopar says about warranties on stuff like lifts:
Mopar® PW Performance Parts Limited Warranty Mopar PW Performance Parts are those parts with a part number beginning in "PW" and do not include any other Performance Parts. Except as noted below, Mopar® PW Performance Parts installed by an authorized FCA US LLC dealership or Studio, including Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep® , Ram, FIAT® and Alfa Romeo locations are warranted against defects in workmanship or materials for 12 months/ 12,000 miles for both parts and labor from date of purchase. Mopar PW Performance Parts sold wholesale to an automotive service facility and installed by a professional technician are warranted against defects in workmanship or materials for 12 months/ 12,000 miles from date of purchase for parts and up to $150.00 in labor. Mopar PW Performance parts sold over-the-counter for vehicle owner or do-it-yourself installation are warranted against defects in workmanship or materials for 12 months/ 12,000 miles from date of purchase for parts exchange only. CUSTOMER MUST KEEP ORIGINAL RECEIPT.

So, having the dealer install the lift kit gives you the same $150 for labor that you would get from any other professional technician. Can't speak to what, if anything it does, to the warranty on the Jeep itself, though others have experience with that part and are responding.

OP
OP
jmm11116

jmm11116

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm coming from a 3" lifted GMC Sierra on 33s, and I'd like to keep the same ride height. Here's what I'm doing (I ordered my Sahara Altitude last week)

I have ~$3K set aside, reserved specifically for "ride": wheels, tires, lift, suspension, etc. Obviously not enough to do all of it, but enough to pick whichever combination of those is going to give me a similar ride to my truck (though smoother, I love my truck but it's an '07 on a Rough Country lift kit. A smooth ride he is not).

When I take delivery, I'm going to drive it stock for a month. Get the feel for it, maybe hit up a few meetups, etc. After that month, I'll have a much better idea as to what, exactly, I'm wanting. I doubt I'll go to 35's, but who knows.

YMMV, just thought I'd share what I'm planning, as it seems we have similar planned use-cases.

Yeah, that's something that seems like it's a good idea is to drive it stock for a little while to get the feel for what stock and normal feels like before diving into the endless possibilities of aftermarket parts. At this time, I plan on keeping this vehicle for a very long time, provided that it holds up that long, so I'm wanting good, tried-and-true parts to throw on it, particularly when I'm talking about safely, handling, and cross-country road trips. I'm a big proponent of the "buy once, cry once" mentality so I'm trying to do as much research as possible.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Yeah, that's something that seems like it's a good idea is to drive it stock for a little while to get the feel for what stock and normal feels like before diving into the endless possibilities of aftermarket parts. At this time, I plan on keeping this vehicle for a very long time, provided that it holds up that long, so I'm wanting good, tried-and-true parts to throw on it, particularly when I'm talking about safely, handling, and cross-country road trips. I'm a big proponent of the "buy once, cry once" mentality so I'm trying to do as much research as possible.
Yeah I drive vehicles till they hit 200K, typically, so same. I've also been telling myself that while I love my truck and it's been a great vehicle, I'm getting a Jeep because I want something different, so if I get the Jeep and immediately try to make it into my truck, I've defeated the whole purpose.

I actually had a chance to pull my truck up next to a stock Sahara this weekend, and was pleased that the height was actually similar, so now I'm leaning more towards some Rubi springs and maybe slightly wider tires. I like them to peek out from the fenders just a bit, for that "squat" look.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

You have a sound plan, just note that there is absolutely no reason to wait until the warranty expires to add a lift if that’s what you want.
Sponsored