Sponsored

Pros&Cons of Auto vs Manual with lift and big tires?!

CPT Kegs

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 1500 (soon to be Jeep JL)
When upgrading your Jeep with bigger tires and a lift, are there benefits to an auto vs manual?

My main concern is that if you won’t be hitting 7-8th gear is an auto worth it? Or do I stay nostalgic and get a 6 MT ?

Is my theory wrong with not hitting 7-8th gear? (I live in hilly Pennsylvania)
Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t think you should let the fact that you’re going to lift it and add bigger tires impact your choice of transmission. Like UKCATS said, get the transmission you want! Of course, unfortunately, the transmission may dictate which engine you get... you can’t get the turbo 4 with a stick.

From my experience with Mustangs back in the day (only 8 years ago lol) you can always get a custom tune. I had a stick Mustang but lots of the auto guys re-tuned their Stangs to make the transmission behave differently. I’m sure there’s something equivalent for the Jeep, and if there isn’t now there will be soon. And of course, there’s re-gearing.

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
I have owned both and prefer a manual transmission.. Get what you feel most comfortable with

Sponsored

OP
OP

CPT Kegs

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve had manual mustangs and jeeps in the past and miss the fun and control-ability of a manual. Just still on the fence for getting a manual if there is no real benefit. This will be my daily driver.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
When upgrading your Jeep with bigger tires and a lift, are there benefits to an auto vs manual?

My main concern is that if you won’t be hitting 7-8th gear is an auto worth it? Or do I stay nostalgic and get a 6 MT ?

It will be the same with the manual, 6 gear in the manual is already of little use with stock tires (Rubicon)

OP
OP

CPT Kegs

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It will be the same with the manual, 6 gear in the manual is already of little use with stock tires (Rubicon)
Since I am only interested in a Rubicon...you’re saying that if I get a manual I would only typically be using 1-5 and in auto 1-6 since auto is closer to 7&8th gear as OD and double OD...power and mileage wise (even though mpg doesn’t mean much) would I benefit more from manual in this case?

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Since I am only interested in a Rubicon...you’re saying that if I get a manual I would only typically be using 1-5 and in auto 1-6 since auto is closer to 7&8th gear as OD and double OD...power and mileage wise (even though mpg doesn’t mean much) would I benefit more from manual in this case?
I cannot speak for the auto. In my case, I find the wrangler “happier” above 2000 rpm. I try to stay always north of 2000. That means 67mph+ in 6 gear on the Rubicon manual stock. Any hill requires to shift down to 5 th or trying to speed up to pass requires to shift down to 4 th. I think an auto would do the same.

biggprikk

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon

Get both!

Sponsored

OP
OP

CPT Kegs

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I cannot speak for the auto. In my case, I find the wrangler “happier” above 2000 rpm. I try to stay always north of 2000. That means 67mph+ in 6 gear on the Rubicon manual stock. Any hill requires to shift down to 5 th or trying to speed up to pass requires to shift down to 4 th. I think an auto would do the same.
Thank you!!

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
One reason I went with the mt was to have more control over shifting for when I moved up to a bigger tire size.

The deep 1st gear, and complete control of shifting does make 35 inch tires (even on the sport's 3.45's) manageable. However, it's still not really a substitute for a re gear and I don't think it gives any tangible advantage over the auto in regards to performance.

As others have stated above, you should get the transmission you want to drive everyday regardless of tire size you plan to run.
Sponsored