Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Finance
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all,

I’m taking my Jeep into a shop to have my new LoD Destroyers installed on my JL. The owner of the shop suggested that I have them welded on instead of being bolted on. They’re a pretty reputable shop here in Dallas (Dallas Off-Road), so I think they know what they’re doing.

What are the major benefits and disadvantages to having them welded on (besides the obvious fact that taking them off would be rather difficult)?
Sponsored

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have the LOD signature series sliders and I believe the Destroyer sliders mount the same way. I think welding would be overkill IMO. They bolt on pretty strong and I've already hit mine without any issues.

tiltz

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru STI
Pros - they'll be super stout and you can cut off the lower mounting tabs and skip the bolts all together. Welding will be lower maintenance and you won't have to worry about bolts backing out.

Cons - you can't remove them without cutting them off so if you want to return to stock it'll be a pain in the ass.

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
Pros - they'll be super stout and you can cut off the lower mounting tabs and skip the bolts all together. Welding will be lower maintenance and you won't have to worry about bolts backing out.

Cons - you can't remove them without cutting them off so if you want to return to stock it'll be a pain in the ass.
This. Burn ‘em in if you’re really going to use them.

OP
OP
Dreadnought_Leviathan

Dreadnought_Leviathan

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Finance
Vehicle Showcase
So long as the return to stock isn’t impossible, I’ll be ok with welding. I really don’t see the need to ever return to stock because the Destroyers are that damn cool, but it’s nice to know that it’s within the realm of possibility if it came down to it.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

i welded my subframe connectors on my mustang (similar to sliders). i would have no reason to ever remove them and they are much better welded on then bolted (though it makes more of a difference in that case).

but if you really wanted to, for some reason, to remove them, they can be cut off with a grinder. so not absolutely permanent. you'll never want/need to unless you plan to change sliders later lol. they would never be a warranty issue. they'll make super stout jacking points too!
Sponsored