Proper way to hook winch to battery

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I followed the book and I wired positive to positive and negative to negative, closed the hood and walked away. No issues.
I’m with you. Just made sure to run wire loom on the cable anywhere it could possibly rub and I leave a cover on it unless in use so not worried about the control box getting wet.
Sponsored

LS7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'66 CJ5, ‘18 JLUR
Will do the same! Does the ground stay plugged in?
Yes, I leave the ground connected. As noted by others, this is probably an unnecessary precaution, but it only takes a couple of minutes to connect the positive cable on the rare times I need to use the winch. In the unlikely event that I have a front collision, or something shorts out in the winch, I have eliminated the possibility of a direct short to the battery.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
you need a relay.
I do not think this is correct. My Smittybuilt X20 runs off Factory Aux button and there is no relay and anything added other than what comes in the box. I also have the big red power cable to the non middle post. Been using it for years and all is fine. Caveat is I did not do the install but know the folks that did and they did not add a relay.

MandKM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘73 CJ5, ‘19 2-door JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I agree with @jeepdriver99 that it is safest to have a physical disconnect between the winch and battery. Though I haven’t installed my winch yet, I’m looking at a manual switch such as this since I have more applications than I have AUX switches.
0C03D20E-24E2-4384-9B6A-7065D5F6417B.png
Well, I installed my winch a little while ago and after all my research into switches, solenoids, etc, I decided to keep it simple.

When the winch is not in use I attach the positive lead to the battery ground with a wing nut. I then move the lead over to the positive post when it’s time to use the winch.

Here it is attached to ground.
Jeep Wrangler JL Proper way to hook winch to battery 3A6E1559-DEE3-4A25-B651-11ACBCB03713

...and attched to the positive post.
Jeep Wrangler JL Proper way to hook winch to battery EC38D543-B566-4F22-8432-ADBF454A755D
Sponsored