First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘73 CJ5, ‘19 2-door JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I agree with @jeepdriver99 that it is safest to have a physical disconnect between the winch and battery. Though I haven’t installed my winch yet, I’m looking at a manual switch such as this since I have more applications than I have AUX switches.
0C03D20E-24E2-4384-9B6A-7065D5F6417B.png
Sponsored

TylerU

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU
So I went to my local off road shop today to buy a solenoid relay and not only did they not carry one, they recommended against connecting the winch with one. Said they had seen more failures with the setup than instances where having one was worth it.....

I’m still on the fence.

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
So I went to my local off road shop today to buy a solenoid relay and not only did they not carry one, they recommended against connecting the winch with one. Said they had seen more failures with the setup than instances where having one was worth it.....

I’m still on the fence.
I'm 66 years old and started off-roading in my early 20s. I've also had a winch on my Jeep since the early 80s and I've never seen one fail from an isolation solenoid. I have had a solenoid failure in the winch but not the isolation one.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladaitor Sport S

I’m still on the fence.
In the worst case, you can disconnect the solenoid and hard-wire the winch if the solenoid or switch fails.

If somehow the winch power cable shorts itself to chassis, that's enough current to burn your Jeep to the ground.

Personally, peace of mind is worth it and the resistance through the switch isn't going to be so much that I'm going to worry about it.

Sponsored

LS7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'66 CJ5, ‘18 JLUR
This is my “manual” disconnect. On the rare occasions when I need the winch, I simply slip the protective sleeve off the winch cable and attach the cable to the right terminal via the wing-nut I added. Not very elegant, but it works.
4DAF6280-FA41-4AD8-AA8E-94F342562DC9.jpeg

PSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XXXXXX 2020 JL Rubicon 3.6
This is my “manual” disconnect. On the rare occasions when I need the winch, I simply slip the protective sleeve off the winch cable and attach the cable to the right terminal via the wing-nut I added. Not very elegant, but it works.
4DAF6280-FA41-4AD8-AA8E-94F342562DC9.jpeg
The beauty of a simple solution. I love the wingnut.

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
I know this is old but since I don't want to start a new thread and can't search for the info becasue I suck at using search:

What is the nut size I need to attack the winch leads to those bolts?

HoboJeep

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Gray
I used the terminal on the right also triggered it with AUX4 and it hasn't caused me any problems.

Jeep Wrangler JL Proper way to hook winch to battery 4DAF6280-FA41-4AD8-AA8E-94F342562DC9
I am looking at doing this too. Which isolator did you use and what amps is it?

Sponsored

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Jeep Wrangler JL Proper way to hook winch to battery 1609676560450
Love the manual disconnect. Where did you buy the protective sleeve?

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Jeep Wrangler JL Proper way to hook winch to battery 1609676560450
Great minds think alike! My JL has yet to be delivered but on my JK I do the same thing! Why have it even connected until you need it. No need to worry about draw while not in use. Especially with all the JL dead battery posts.

JLRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
I followed the book and I wired positive to positive and negative to negative, closed the hood and walked away. No issues.
Sponsored