Proper tools to purchase?

mshields

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLRU
Milwaukee tools are fantastic and the range of items available in their M18 and M12 series is extensive.
I have the 1/2” impact, 3/8” stubby impact, and a 3/8” ratchet. I have used the heck out of the ratchet for many projects and it’s awesome for Jeep top removal. Battery life for all has been outstanding too.
Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I have an assortment of DeWALT 20V lithium tools I really like and their compact 1/2 drive 885 impact was a godsend during my lift install. I choose this impact as I liked its short (front to back) profile and thought it's size would be handy during my lift install. (I have plenty of DeWALT chargers and batteries) It was a huge help in getting into tight spaces, had plenty of power to spin off lug nuts and I would happily buy the 885 again.
Correction: The correct model of the compact DeWALT 1/2 inch drive impact is DCF894B and rated at 330 FT LB's on high and 150 FT LB's on low. The 885 was the model I originally searched.

I also bought a Milwaukee Fuel 3/8 extended-length ratchet (also to help with lift install) and super happy with it. Looked at the standard length ones but decided to have them order the extended-length version-so worth the wait and extra cost!

What I don't like about Milwaukee Fuel tools is they are made in China, hopefully Milwaukee will be incentivized at some point to move production to America. Most DeWALT cordless tools are either made in USA or Mexico. I have always gone out of my way to buy American or European products first and to avoid 'made in china' whenever possible...

Last edited:

mshields

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLRU
I have an assortment of DeWALT 20V lithium tools I really like and their compact 1/2 drive 885 impact was a godsend during my lift install. I choose this impact as I liked its short (front to back) profile and thought it's size would be handy during my lift install. (I have plenty of DeWALT chargers and batteries) It was a huge help in getting into tight spaces, had plenty of power to spin off lug nuts and I would happily buy the 885 again.

I also bought a Milwaukee Fuel 3/8 extended-length ratchet (also to help with lift install) and super happy with it. Looked at the standard length ones but decided to have them order the extended-length version-so worth the wait and extra cost!

What I don't like about Milwaukee Fuel tools is they are made in China, hopefully Milwaukee will be incentivized at some point to move production to America. Most DeWALT cordless tools are either made in USA or Mexico. I have always gone out of my way to buy American or European products first and to avoid 'made in china' whenever possible...
According to Milwaukee they produce tools in USA, China, and Europe.
If you look at the fine print DeWalt admits the tools they assemble in the USA are assembled from parts made in USA, China, Mexico and Europe.
Unfortunately we don’t have an option for 100% made in USA cordless tools at this point. I’ll do my part to give Donald Trump another four years to stick it to China though.

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I use Dewalt. I find their batteries and build quality to be more durable than Milwaukee.

Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Correction: The correct model for the compact 1/2 drive DeWALT impact I bought is DCF894B and is rated for 330 FT LB's on high and 150 FT LB's on low. Great tool and love the compact size!

rfm8os

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2022 Cadillac CT-5 V
I also bought an electric ratchet. I was looking at the long head Milwaukee ratchet because if had 55 ft/lbs of torque but I then ended up getting the AC Delco model as it had comparable torque and was less than half the price. Reviews and ratings were pretty good as well.

I used it to mount my front lower control arm skids and my new front/rear differential glide plates. Worked great and was really quick spinning off the bolts.

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
Cant go wrong with either Milwaukee or Dewalt. My batteries are Dewalt, so my new purchases are Dewalt. Got the DCF899HB recently that does 700lb/1200lb and its a beast.

Only worry with each of them is making sure it is set properly so you don't snap bolts off on accident. :muscle: