Sponsored

Promising 2.0 Writeup

Blood Type J+

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 TJ Sport 6-cyl
https://www.cars.com/reviews/2018-j...re-comfortable-but-not-cheaper-1420699374585/

Jump down to the "Very Un-Wrangler to Drive" section for the turbo notes.

A couple of excerpts:

"As much as the addition of the 3.6-liter Pentastar engine transformed the Wrangler into a usable daily driver in 2012, that's how much better the new 2.0-liter is for 2018."

"A brief drive of the four-door 2.0-liter Sahara model returned an mpg number in the high 20s driving around town, and if that proves to be accurate, it will be a massive improvement from the old Wrangler V-6 powertrain."
Sponsored

Prevok

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara Punk'N 2.0T 2018
Occupation
IT Tech Lead in the video game industry
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty good review and hyped about their experience with the 2.0T. The MPG seems on par with what TFLCar experienced. This bit makes me think it was written a while ago and just got published: "Only the 3.6-liter V-6 will be available when the Wrangler goes on sale".

Hopefully the MPG value is going to be representative of the production models. I partially ordered the 2.0 in the hope etorque would make a good difference in city mileage and to get better accelerations.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe

Sponsored

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
This is the first review I've read that accurately places the new Wrangler in a class all by its lonesome, and offers the bright and shinny hopes that we all (would like to) have for the 2.0L turbo! I can't wait!
I don't care about the Turbo, but I totally agree that the Wrangler needs to be in a separate off-road vehicle class.

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
I'd be legit AMAZED if it gets high 20s on city driving on a vehicle that weighs over 4k lbs.

Even the 2.0T on my WRX which weighs around 3.4k lbs only gets about 17-18 MPG in town driving and that's without heavy footing it.

OP
OP
Blood Type J+

Blood Type J+

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 TJ Sport 6-cyl
I'd be legit AMAZED if it gets high 20s on city driving on a vehicle that weighs over 4k lbs.

Even the 2.0T on my WRX which weighs around 3.4k lbs only gets about 17-18 MPG in town driving and that's without heavy footing it.
That would be cool.

The WRX is designed for low 0-60 times and doesn't have the ability to recapture energy while slowing down, so maybe there's hope. It'll be interesting to see the EPA rating and the real-world numbers.

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
That would be cool.

The WRX is designed for low 0-60 times and doesn't have the ability to recapture energy while slowing down, so maybe there's hope. It'll be interesting to see the EPA rating and the real-world numbers.
True, maybe that BSG system adds a few more MPG to city driving.

Sponsored

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.

Subaru forced induction is all about performance, not economy. That ferocious acceleration with a four banger isn't without consequence!

My V6 manual accord pulls 35mpg cruising 90, but only about 20 around town. It should be noted that turbocharged engines do not return good fuel economy under heavy throttle, at least in my experience. Excellent economy, until you actually try to drive spiritedly. Some reviewer had that happen with the new, turbocharged accord. Rated higher mpg than the old V6 but he returned worse during a tank of actually getting on it.

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Subaru forced induction is all about performance, not economy. That ferocious acceleration with a four banger isn't without consequence!

My V6 manual accord pulls 35mpg cruising 90, but only about 20 around town. It should be noted that turbocharged engines do not return good fuel economy under heavy throttle, at least in my experience. Excellent economy, until you actually try to drive spiritedly. Some reviewer had that happen with the new, turbocharged accord. Rated higher mpg than the old V6 but he returned worse during a tank of actually getting on it.
My WRX actually hits around 36 MPG on the highway too. It's pretty nice.
Sponsored