Sponsored

Production Hold: 2021 Moving to 2022

DellCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
FWIW: my order also slipped from D back to BX last week. I do have a dealer allocated vehicle (#2 of 4). My dealership ran it up the flagpole over the past few days and the answer they received was there's a glitch in the system and the vehicle actually is still in D with the same assigned VIN and will eventually roll directly into D1. While I do take everything my dealers says with a grain of salt, I do believe it's the answer they received and it gives me something to rest my hopes on while I continue to wait (impatiently). Thankfully y'all that do have 392's already are posting some inspiring pics and vids so I can live vicariously through you (with the exception of those rusty ones - I'm not letting those get in my head at all).
Sponsored

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392; 2018 JLUR (sold); 2016 JKU (sold)
FWIW: my order also slipped from D back to BX last week. I do have a dealer allocated vehicle (#2 of 4). My dealership ran it up the flagpole over the past few days and the answer they received was there's a glitch in the system and the vehicle actually is still in D with the same assigned VIN and will eventually roll directly into D1. While I do take everything my dealers says with a grain of salt, I do believe it's the answer they received and it gives me something to rest my hopes on while I continue to wait (impatiently). Thankfully y'all that do have 392's already are posting some inspiring pics and vids so I can live vicariously through you (with the exception of those rusty ones - I'm not letting those get in my head at all).
I hope that is true! I had the same issue.

Chacalou

First Name
Pascal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
I work in the Electronic Components Industry for a very large Osaka, Japan based manufacturer that has been around since 1918. Expect this chip and components shortage to stay here until atleast another 9 to 12 months. There was a sudden surge in demand during COVID for Laptops, Servers and Phones due to the work from home revolution. Slowly that shortage began extending into Automotive and here we are. Issue is that most of these components tend to be low Average Selling Price and low profitability. Manufacturers therefore are reluctant to invest in more assembly lines as low profitability means it will take many years for return on investment (ROI) to kick in. By that time this gluttony for components will be solved and manufacturers will have a lot of extra capacity that they have no use for. Feel free to ask me any questions on this shortage. I will try to answer as much as I can without providing any confidential info or my employer name as I am forbidden to mention it in such forums. Corporate Japan tends to be very secretive.
Hi iSlander. This info is from March 2021. Do you think today the Chip shortage will affect 2022 rubicon 392. Since I almost order a 2021 but rather wait for the 22 also swing they may offer a winch, regardless I am not even sure how accurate every thing I read is.
but maybe someone can help
Thank you kindly

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Hi iSlander. This info is from March 2021. Do you think today the Chip shortage will affect 2022 rubicon 392. Since I almost order a 2021 but rather wait for the 22 also swing they may offer a winch, regardless I am not even sure how accurate every thing I read is.
but maybe someone can help
Thank you kindly
Depending on the type of component, expect production lead times to get better starting April 2022 but not by much. We expect 2022 to be a little better than 2021 but not by much.

all semiconductor, memory, displays and passive suppliers are hoping for things to get better late 2022.

its rather tough right now. For example: a passive like an Automotive Grade Lytic Cap or a Resistor used to have a lead time of 16 weeks max. Right now many passive suppliers like Vishay, Kemet, UCC, Panasonic and Nichicon are quoting lead times of 45 weeks plus for these fifty cent a piece parts! Lets hope we slowly start to get better in 2022 and in early 2023 the industry looks the way it used to before this shortage started!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I took my Wrangler in for a TSB update to the head unit. The dealer lot was empty but for 1 Wrangler and 1 Gladiator. No new inventory at all on the lot other than those two. No used cars either. It was very weird to see the entire area that was full of Jeeps last year when I bought mine now sits totally vacant.

Chacalou

First Name
Pascal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Depending on the type of component, expect production lead times to get better starting April 2022 but not by much. We expect 2022 to be a little better than 2021 but not by much.

all semiconductor, memory, displays and passive suppliers are hoping for things to get better late 2022.

its rather tough right now. For example: a passive like an Automotive Grade Lytic Cap or a Resistor used to have a lead time of 16 weeks max. Right now many passive suppliers like Vishay, Kemet, UCC, Panasonic and Nichicon are quoting lead times or 45 weeks plus for these 50 cent parts! Lets hope we slowly start to get better in 2022 and in early 2023 the industry looks the way it used to before this shortage started!
Noted with many thanks.
hopefully I ll be able to order the 22 392 in few months then

samijeep

First Name
Sami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
My sales manager called this morning with bad news. My 392 went to BX last week and just moved back to BG. He called up the chain and found that the computer chip shortage is holding up the build (as we know is happening). More importantly, the build will now be a 2022 model year instead of the 2021. I was not able to get any confirmation from Jeep Chat. Anyone else without a VIN getting this update too? I'm not overly excited about a 2022 :(

I just found out that my 392 ER order has been cancelled. I even had a VIN# assigned. this is so crazy. I am very upset :(

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
I just found out that my 392 ER order has been cancelled. I even had a VIN# assigned. this is so crazy. I am very upset :(
When did you order? Are you getting a ‘22 now or did they just say tough luck you're not getting one at all?

Bhodi11

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392XR
Mine was canceled by SCA but they created a new 22MY order. Had my new VIN the next day. I would check with your dealer.
Sponsored