Production Hold: 2021 Moving to 2022

jeepken

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392
My sales manager called this morning with bad news. My 392 went to BX last week and just moved back to BG. He called up the chain and found that the computer chip shortage is holding up the build (as we know is happening). More importantly, the build will now be a 2022 model year instead of the 2021. I was not able to get any confirmation from Jeep Chat. Anyone else without a VIN getting this update too? I'm not overly excited about a 2022 :(
Sponsored

JLUWillys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392XR , 23 LR DEF110, 23 Sprinter AWD
Oof .. mine is BG too :(

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
There is a small benefit of getting a 22 over a 21. The 22 will have less of a depreciation compared to the 21 and both will probably be manufactured within a couple months of each other.

JLUWillys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
agree.. I just wish if that was the case .. they would let me change something.. since it's kind of a bummer..

There is a small benefit of getting a 22 over a 21. The 22 will have less of a depreciation compared to the 21 and both will probably be manufactured within a couple months of each other.

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
agree.. I just wish if that was the case .. they would let me change something.. since it's kind of a bummer..
Yeah that would be the right thing to do, but you know how these companies work. :CWL:

It’s honestly kinda crazy how this chip shortage seems to be more of an issue for automakers than Covid was.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jeepken

jeepken

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392
The timing couldn't have been better. My JK was supposed to sell this week and I just cancelled that with the buyer. I was fine being without a vehicle for 60 days or so, but who knows when I'll get this 392 at this point.

OP
OP
jeepken

jeepken

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392
Not sure what you are wanting to change, but if no VIN has been assigned then you should be able to adjust your options with the dealer.

graytrucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 2020 LR Discovery, 2015 RR Sport SC
I was just told by Jeep Chat that the 392 is being built and not affected by the chip shortage, but who knows if that is accurate. They are going to open a case to try and get a better estimate for delivery date. I only ordered in February but had a VIN within a couple weeks.

ValB

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon 392
Well, that seems strange. I have been on Jeep chat about my 392 build and they told me waiting , gathering parts... I have read other posts that are saying that their Jeep 392's are being stored after production at the facility ? Has anybody heard that?

ValB

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon 392
Ok, I just got off Jeep Chat and I finely received my VIN . They are saying it is awaiting parts but if you have a VIN it is getting close. They also have not heard of a chip shortage being the issue ?

Sponsored

JLUWillys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I mean I guess all in all.. I'm just going to be happy when it gets here . And go buy some ducks.. and deliver them in the Willy's lol.. I am going to ask the dealership .. if they say no.. then they don't get a damn duck haha

TCMC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubi
Well, that seems strange. I have been on Jeep chat about my 392 build and they told me waiting , gathering parts... I have read other posts that are saying that their Jeep 392's are being stored after production at the facility ? Has anybody heard that?
Mine has been built since 02/21. Just sitting in a storage yard. My ship date keeps changing too.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Yeah that would be the right thing to do, but you know how these companies work. :CWL:

It’s honestly kinda crazy how this chip shortage seems to be more of an issue for automakers than Covid was.
I work in the Electronic Components Industry for a very large Osaka, Japan based manufacturer that has been around since 1918. Expect this chip and components shortage to stay here until atleast another 9 to 12 months. There was a sudden surge in demand during COVID for Laptops, Servers and Phones due to the work from home revolution. Slowly that shortage began extending into Automotive and here we are. Issue is that most of these components tend to be low Average Selling Price and low profitability. Manufacturers therefore are reluctant to invest in more assembly lines as low profitability means it will take many years for return on investment (ROI) to kick in. By that time this gluttony for components will be solved and manufacturers will have a lot of extra capacity that they have no use for. Feel free to ask me any questions on this shortage. I will try to answer as much as I can without providing any confidential info or my employer name as I am forbidden to mention it in such forums. Corporate Japan tends to be very secretive.

392Stinger

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 392, 2021 Tahoe
I read an article last night that said the Dodge Ram pickups were on hold due to the chip shortage. I'm glad I received by JLU a few weeks ago because after reading the article, I was wondering if it would trickle down into Jeep.

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/03/21/ram-1500-classic-chip-shortage/
That’s just on the 1500 classic model Ram which is a very small portion of their sales. The Gen 5 is the new body style and still being produced from what my dealer shared. He also mentioned Jeep Wrangers were not expected to be impacted but guess we shall see!
Sponsored